Quantcast

Cordless Drill?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
The beater I had was stolen from my garage a few years ago and I have never replaced it, so maybe it's time.

Who's got what?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the new 18v Li milwaukees are sweet.
There was one at the pawn shop for $80 with a charger and 2 batteries including the case. I almost bought it until I noticed the chuck wandered a little.

I'm waiting for a tweaker to hawk a Dewalt Lithium. I need a new drill, so I always scope the pawn shops first.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've used Ridgid tools for years and have been extremely impressed with the price:quality ratio. As good as any of the contractor-grade tools (Milwaukee, DeWalt) but without the premium price.

It's a Home Depot-exclusive brand.

The general contractor I worked for had a few, my dad has some, I now have a few and they even survive the abuse of the volunteers at Habitat for Humanity. Lifetime warranty on the battery, too, which is crazy.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i've got Rigid and i'm pretty happy. The benefit is price and a lifetime warranty, but you must take the time to register the equipment.

Any cordless you buy, you will spend way too much for extra batteries, so if you can get a deal with extra batteries it's worth it.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
My DeWalt seams to be holding up pretty good... as is my Hitachi model!

If you have gone several years without one, I would think you probably don't need one enough to blow a ton of money on it!

I had a RYobi model that came with a flashlight and 2 battery packs. I got about three weeks of service out of one of the battery packs, it hardly held a charge... the other pack was possibly the strongest 14.4v pack I have ever seen. It held a charge longer than most of the highzoot models I have used over the years. The drill was pretty comfy and was strong as well! When I broke the reverse switch on it after 4 or so years of hard use, I thought I should upgrade, bought the DeWalt and think that it is a bit better, but a bunch more expensive!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
FWIW, I prefer a corded drill anytime I have access to an outlet. We only use cordless when outlets aren't available, we're working up high or its just a quick task. Cordless drills lack the sack for extended/continual use.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Which is why when getting a cordless to get a couple of spare batteries so you have them there, charged if you know you're going to be using the drill alot that day.

Plus with a corded drill, you're pretty much a slave to extension cords and cord length.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I've had good luck with the Ryobi 18v lithium, batteries hold a long charge for normal use (although the circular saw tends to eat up the power pretty quickly), gauge to tell you how much charge is left, and just before Christmas they were practically giving the took kits away. Did have an issue with one of the batteries when I first got it, it wouldn't hold a charge (flashing red lights are BAD!) so brought it in and they exchanged it no questions asked. The only thing I'd caution is that since the batteries are the expensive part, think of it as a system as a whole, instead of just a cordless drill... After you have the batteries, the rest of the tools are relatively cheap.

edit: I've had mine for a little over a year, but I did notice that they were running amazing specials on them pre-christmas. Not sure if they're still running specials or not.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
I use the 28v Li Milwaukees. Sawzall has the same guts as the corded model. The runner up choice would be Makita.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i have some kawasaki (!) that i picked up from costco. NiMH, not lithium, and only 19.2V i believe, but it works. oh, and it was $35 or something ridiculously cheap. i'm not a professional in the construction worker sense and it's done the job adequately.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
i have some kawasaki (!) that i picked up from costco. NiMH, not lithium, and only 19.2V i believe, but it works. oh, and it was $35 or something ridiculously cheap. i'm not a professional in the construction worker sense and it's done the job adequately.
That's what I need. Just for around the house and drilling into my concrete walls and such.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My Craftsman is still going strong
I have been dealing with my Craftsman for about 6 years without variable speed (quit being variable speed about 2 years after I bought it). it works OK, but I need variable speed now.

Go to a pawn shop and get a good one on the cheap.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
18v dewalt; built my deck w/ it 5 yrs ago.
still running strong & the battery holds a (usable for quick job) charge for months.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
If you don't need cordless, look for the corded Ryobi at Home Despot that has the driver clutch. I've been abusing one for months and it keeps on rockin.

(it's the only cheap corded one I could find with a driver clutch)

If you're drilling concrete, get a cheap corded hammer drill. Regular drills ain't gonna do jack sh1t. (wear a dust mask too - silica from drilling or cutting concrete is BAD for you)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you're drilling concrete, get a cheap corded hammer drill. Regular drills ain't gonna do jack sh1t. (wear a dust mask too - silica from drilling or cutting concrete is BAD for you)
My 18v Ridgid has a hammer setting and I've done numerous concrete floors and brick walls with it. No problems.

So every brand made has been mentioned and praised except Bosch, Hitachi and Black & Decker?
Everyone is going to say "my brand is great" if they have one brand of tool and it's never failed. I've used/owned three Black & Deckers that all sucked, a Craftsman that sucked, and a Ryobi whose battery lasted less than a year. Just my experience.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My opinion on power tools through mixed use:

Ryobi: cheap. The batteries suck ass. Corded stuff is ok for occasional use.

Ridgid: moderate in price and quality.

Makita and Dewalt: overpriced IMHO but excellent quality

Bosch: pro quality with a price tag to boot.

Hitachi: variable. High end stuff is very nice. I love my nail gun.

Hilti: you work for Nasa and you have endless funds for tools through government grants.

Craftsman: you WILL need the lifetime warranty.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
My opinion on power tools through mixed use:

Ryobi: cheap. The batteries suck ass. Corded stuff is ok for occasional use.

Ridgid: moderate in price and quality.

Makita and Dewalt: overpriced IMHO but excellent quality

Bosch: pro quality with a price tag to boot.

Hitachi: variable. High end stuff is very nice. I love my nail gun.

Hilti: you work for Nasa and you have endless funds for tools through government grants.

Craftsman: you WILL need the lifetime warranty.
That's what I needed!

Leaning towards this now, but will do a bit more research first.

:cheers:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
If your going to spend that kind of money you mind as well get This.. It charges up fast. Works really well. make sure you get the XRP version (metal gears) I have had mine for 4 years without any problems. The 18v is nice but heavier, which you might not mind for the occasional use.
I have used this drill for everything, I have built over 15 decks in the past 3 years with it, sheetrock, framing etc.. Its been great

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Pawn shop, $75 no questions asked. Seriously.

Maybe I'm a cheap bastard, but I can't bring myself to spend $200 on a drill.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
If your going to spend that kind of money you mind as well get This.. It charges up fast. Works really well. make sure you get the XRP version (metal gears) I have had mine for 4 years without any problems. The 18v is nice but heavier, which you might not mind for the occasional use.
I have used this drill for everything, I have built over 15 decks in the past 3 years with it, sheetrock, framing etc.. Its been great
That has risen to the top of the list now. :cheers:

Spending a couple/few hundie on something that will outlast any of my wives is a no brainer and I appreciate all of the input!

My concrete work consists of drilling some blue concrete screws into my wall(s) for some Ikea hooks as my combined hoodie/backback collection is now over 30 and I want to run hooks down the longest wall of my place.

I'm not building a house, but like with bike bits, good sh1t is good sh1t.

Edit: Oh yeah, I don't do pawn shops as they fuel the meth market, and no one wants me buying their stolen bike there right?

Last edited: