Quantcast

Corsair Crown ride time

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is there anybody on here with ride time on the corsair crown? I can't find too much feedback on them, but I've got a line on a good deal on one. Are they any good? Please don't point me to the dirt review....I've read it already and it doesn't suggest very much to me besides they didn't figure out how to make it work for them...but I am interested in regular amateur riders opinions...

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
I honestly like it much better than the round tube dhr i had. It is a pain in the ass to tune if using both shocks, but is very straight forward when using only single shock. doesnt corner nearly as good as my dhr but eats up rocks and the rough. feels bottomless. Very supple. Doesnt pedal that bad either, the adjustable idler gear doesnt do a whole lot in the different positions so i just leave it in whatever place it clears my chainguide at. Paint is ****ty, but i knew that when i bought it, its a wet paint and it chips very easily. But besides that i really like the bike. very stable at high speeds and seems to accelerate through the rough.

The only thing i would change on the bike is the shock. the roco it comes with is a generic tuned roco wc. not bad but could get much better with a custom tuned shock. all in all, for the price, i absolutely love the bike.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I've not ridden one, but I know a guy in the UK who does, and he wins most of his races in the 30+ cat. On top of that he's a solid 6'4", so not exactly gentle on his gear.

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
I raced one 16 races in pro in the North East last season and took it to South America where I spent a couple months shredding it in the Peruvian and Bolivian Andes at 8,000 ft descents so I feel I know that bike pretty well. I really loved it and it served me well. Definitely took some abuse thats for sure and honestly had no problems besides the pulley wearing out which can be expected with that much riding (and this was not until the final 2 weeks of me owning it.) Gota get to work so I will try and shoot you a message with a bunch of info tonight but basically if you have a good deal my recommendation (in this order) would be to buy it, junk the roco and get a 10.5 eye to eye elka, get the corsair angle set to slacken it to 64, then ride the crap out of it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I honestly like it much better than the round tube dhr i had.
thanks dude, that's exactly what I was looking for. Can I ask whether you typically run the single or double shock config? I really like the idea of the extra bottom out/axle area shock, but I imagine tuning it could be a fun challenge.

I'm beginning to understand that I'm less of a finesse rider and wouldn't mind getting back into the "set and forget" realm vs. the fine tuning and maintenance of my sunday.

What size are you guys? The long lines up pretty well with my "ideal" length, but I go back and forth on whether I want a longer TT or that the medium 23.5 on the sunday is ideal...

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
ive been running the single shock atm. Just didnt have the patience to tune it with both shocks. im 6'1'' and find the large fits me very well.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
been on a crown for almost 2 solid years now. have used both setup and do change back and forth between the 9.5 with 2nd shock and the 10.5 inch single shock. Tuning with the 2nd shock is not an active system so basically you should put 350psi in the air shock and close off the rebound circuit. I would recommend the longer size and the -1 headset cup is perfect. as far as actual ride time. I have spent over a month riding every day in whistler as a month down in south america racing on tracks that have broken my 2 previous frames as well as 2 complete seasons of DH racing all over north america. the bike is an amazingly capable and very easy bike to tune but there are a few things to remind you of when your building it up. if you have any questions feel free to go ahead and sent me an email and i can give you the specifics. I can guarantee you wont be upset with the frame as long as you either get a tune on the roco or just get ahold of a fox/elka.