Quantcast

Corsair Maelstrom Hammer - Built and Ready to Ride - Review - Lets see your 09 FR Rig

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Thank you FreshwOOd and Kamanchi for answers.
The reason why I was asking about the Maelstrom BB shell is that I'm playing with the idea of my own EN/FR frame where BB and rocker would work almost identically to Maelstrom. With the BB shell outer diameter I meant diameter where the bearings are mounted (bearing inner diameter; as depicted on the picture). And I correctly assumed your BB-rocker-link is of 7075 Alu. I'm just not sure whether 40mm BB out. diam. is save enough for design like this with 7075 Alu.

You FreeshwOOd were right about chain-line, I should have rather used chain-force-line term for anti-squat.
And let me ask you one more technical question :-). Are they angular contact bearings between BB-link and main-frame?

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
When looking at those photos from mtbr.com thread in more detail I noticed you guys significantly changed BB-link integration with main frame. Those two pics I posted above are the past because BB shell and rocker link are no longer one piece which is together with bearings clamped into the main-frame from "outside". Am I right?

Now, the BB shell is firmly clamped in the mainframe, bearings are moved from BB shell into the rocker link that rotates around BB shell. That is what I can see from these pictures:

May I ask you, why did you re-designed that? What bearings do you use now ?
Thanks a lot for insider information :cheers:

ColoradoDirt

Chimp
Apr 4, 2009
FreshwOOd and Kamanchi, thanks for the clearifying the engineering details for these gents. Bottom line is... any rider will stoked on the finer attributes of this top shelf rig. Pedal it, Roost it, Boost it and repeat. Hell yea, lets go ride.......... Here are photos of the 888 WC ATA mounted. Over and out.

Attachments

Kamanchi

Chimp
Oct 31, 2008
Califonia
Wow ColoradoDirt that is an amazing build! I have mine built up almost the exact same way but with Saint, Atomlab Ti Dh wheelset and and Elka. It's a real dh bike with the 1 degree headset.

To Fluider I cant really give out specs to our frames but would never discourage you from building your own design! Its a fun and very hard process to accomplish and getting past the manufacturing struggle is what will make your design that much more enjoyable when you build it up and ride it!

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Kamanchi, thanks for your encouragement, you're one of those few people who don't try to stop me from doing that. It's quite a challenging task for me but the more it'll feel great when I accomplish that. But if I could effort buying Maelstrom now .... :huh:, well I'm not sure if I'd continue in my design :). There aren't many bikes that catch me like Mealstrom does.

ColoradoDirt

Chimp
Apr 4, 2009
I chose to run the zero stack headset with my 66 for all around trail performance. My head angle was affected very slightly. The stock headset has about a 7mm lower stack height?? My zero stack is over 1mm but less than 2, so about 5mm of difference. I believe it takes 17mm of axle to crown distance for 1 degree of head angle change?? So my head angle with a zero stack and Marz 66 is maybe 66.3 degrees. So I think it is still slack for trail applications and really just about anything out there. This is my FR XC rig, not my chair bike. I love the low cockpit and the 180mm fork combo...

:cheers:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
CD - I like your style. I think you have your bike set up for the same purposes as I plan for. I am taking the 67* spacer as a back up since my trails are wicked tight. When I eventualy find some nice open trails then its 66* or bust. I will still be trying the 66* setup but I am gonna have to man handle this beast, still its gonna be fun. Hope to have my order in on monday, cheers for sharing the info and helping out with us peasants who strive be princes.

ColoradoDirt

Chimp
Apr 4, 2009
The Maelstrom is running solid. True performance; a couple months on her now and still is tight and running plush. Passing XC guys on the uphill and posting my quickest times on the downhills. Serious roosting; can't wait for a little lift action this week. I'm getting used the 888 setup. I know the Marzocchi ATA is crucial for the uphills with 888. The 66 ATA or Totem U Turn is the dope setup if pedaling your rig to the FR trails is the norm. Still working on the pictures of the velcro tunnel. Time for diner...

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
CD- placing my order today with Dropnzone. Going with large and hope its a good fit. Biggest frame I have ridden since I cant remember when or since I started getting more into jumping around style hehe. Taking a set of outlaws to start and they will become my heavy duty set when I get to invest in a second set later this year. I generaly like to have 2 sets with complementary tyres. Other than the Elka upgrade for durability purposes I dont think I will run anything special in components. I may have to run my current XT brakes to start off, partly budget and also cause I really love my XTs for ease of use as I never have to touch them. I have consideredd trying something else but it seems there are so many issues with a lot of brakes so I will have to think about it before I lay down extra cash.
What Totem U-Turn you talking bout? I know of no such thing. I will be using this bike for everything and I considered the 66 ATA for climbing but I like the Totem for a little lower A2C and weight savings of the 66 coil. About 80% of my current riding here is pushing up and blasting down. There are a few climbs which I cant make and I am not sure if I could do it even on something like a Giant Reign. Loose surface, roots and rocks with super steep????? I generaly ride what I can, push what I have to and then just enjoy the DH part.
I havent ridden a Totem or new 66 so I will take any advice you offer. Just remember I need durability since I cant be shipping from South Korea every few months for repairs and servicing. In fact I am looking to start more servicing of all my shocks. I was running the 06' 66RC2x and it was insane. Took all the abuse I gave it, was super plush and didnt need any attention while I was on it.
Cheers for helping me put this together and post some more action shots.

ColoradoDirt

Chimp
Apr 4, 2009
Glad to hear you went with the Corsair. You'll be amped. I run Marzocchi and they are my number one recommedation. I friend is running the 66 ATA on the front of his Maelstrom and I think its a perfect match. I also like the Totem (it may be the two step) but I really have less ride time on the Rockshox. I chose the RC3X for overall plushness and durability. So far, its the bomb. I really seem to get used to whatever features my rig has. I've ridden the ATA alot and loved it but when I got used to my RC3X I was also stoked. So, all I'm saying is you'll be dailed with either and ride the fork according to its abilitys. I'll work on the action photos. Still roosting my Maelstrom just about everyday...

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
interestingly enough i was checking out the geo thinking the numbers for the medium seemed kinda long so i checked my current ride (transition dirtbag '06)with the numbers and wow! looks like i'm looking at a small maelstrom!!

oh and i'm 5'10" with a fairly long inseam

Attachments

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
just remember you think your dirt bag is too small. the large maelstrom has a 1in shorter wheelbase than my large blindside, really you should compare the blindside to the maelstrom as they are both slacker, longer, and lower style geometry.

also the seat angle is slacker on the maelstrom making it look longer but really the same.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Coloradodirt- (or either of the Corsair guys): Does the Maelstrom use standard diameter 1.5 headset cups? As in, can I use my e.13 reducers to set it up with a lower stack height than with the stock headset?

Cheers.