Quantcast

Cost effective to buy new frame?

jsmith811

Chimp
Aug 12, 2007
I have a Trek Fuel 70... Would it be cost effective to pickup a Specialized FSR Frame and transfer my components from the trek to new frame, then upgrade that platform as money allows, selling off the take off parts on ebay?? or is it ridiculous and most items wouldn't fit anyway?? I also figured I would learn alot doing a complete build..

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I have a Trek Fuel 70... Would it be cost effective to pickup a Specialized FSR Frame and transfer my components from the trek to new frame, then upgrade that platform as money allows, selling off the take off parts on ebay?? or is it ridiculous and most items wouldn't fit anyway?? I also figured I would learn alot doing a complete build..
Doing a transfer of components would help you learn a lot about building and speccing a bike...but it could also be an exercise in complete frustration... A few parts (specifically the bottom bracket and rear hub spacing) could potentially be a bit off and need a replacement part that fits properly, or you find something that is worn out. Get the measurements of most of the parts (BB and rear wheel spacing at least....oh and seatpost diameter) from the Fuel, then get the same specs from the specialized...compare. If a couple are off, swing by an LBS (local bike shop) and figure out what new parts you'll need and what (if any) specific tools you'll need to acquire prior to tearing one bike apart for the transfer.

I know that when I first got into doing my own maintenance, that I was at the bike shop almost daily, asking questions, buying tools, watching the mechanics demonstrate what I needed to do on my own bike....Now I can tear apart my DH bike to bolts and reassemble it in 5 hours (regreasing bearings is the lone huge time taker in the process).

Start tinkering, once you hit a road block, there are websites (can't recall any off the top of my head at the moment) or bike shops that you can ask for knowledge and assistance.

The one thing I will say about being cost effective in this case is that you'll start off with the best of intentions and then it turns into a big money pit (give it time!) that you'll curse while in the garage, then praise once you hit the trail. At least that's how it was for me.

I say give it a shot. Nothing forces learning like complete immersion.

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
I’ve read that buying frames and upgrading components isn’t the best way to go, but who the heck knows. I agree with you though, it is a great learning experience.

I am pretty new to biking, starting off on a $300 POS bike. When I upgraded to an FSRxc Comp I turned my old bike into my “Learnin’ Bike.” I took everything apart, looked at it, figured out how it worked and put it back together (also giving it a good clean, lubrication, etc at the same time). It was great learning experience.

Also, the Mountain Bike Fundamentals DVD has a great extra on it. Two guys in a bike shop, take a new frame and add all the components from an old bike to it. Might think about picking up a copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Mountain-Bike-Technique-DVD/dp/B000F9LMT4/ref=sr_1_3/104-5989886-5368704?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1189741783&sr=8-3

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
If you've already got some high end components I'd consider the swap otherwise you'll spend more money buying just a frame and trying to piece part everything together. It all adds up pretty quick when you need a different diameter seatpost, different diameter seat clamp, new chain, new bottom bracket, new cables and housings. Then there are the big things like finding out that the steerer tube on your fork isn't long enough so you'll need a new fork that can cost several hundred dollars, or you realize while you are tearing everything apart that the bearings in your cheap OEM hubs are shot and need to be replaced. I've done some swaps and come out okay, but I've planned carefully and bought used parts where needed. Don't expect to make a huge amount of money selling parts you replace, 40% of original cost is a good selling price for parts that are 1 year old, if they are older or in marginal condition you'll get even less, low end parts are almost impossible to sell at any price.

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
I think the answer to your question is, 'it depends'.

It depends on:
- how many of your parts you can move over (check compatibilities and length of steerer tube you have vs. what you need--a new fork would add a lot of cost)? You can check a lot of this before you make a decision, but there might be some surprises.
- what kind of deal you can get on a frame vs. a whole bike?
- how many tools you have and how many you will have to buy to get the job done (tools can be very expensive, but you'll have them for future bike work)?
- whether you have a friend that can help you if you get into a bind or will you have to pay a bike shop to help?
- how patient are you? I have a number of friends who have spent the entire winter shopping for deals on parts and then build a bike in the spring. They end up getting quite a bit of bike for their buck. I just built my first (a SS with a lot of guidance and help) and I got a super bike (Chris King headset, new carbon bars, used Mavic Crosslinks, new Fox F100, used Surly 1x1 frame etc.) for less than the msrp cost of the frame and fork.

Lastly, do you enjoy doing that kind of stuff?

I agree on the doing your own maintenance suggestion. You end up with less bike down-time and it costs less in the long run.