Quantcast

Could the top Freeriders compete at the Empire Of Dirt?

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Do you guys think that Berrecloth, Mcaul, Paul B., Boyko, etc. could compete at Empire of dirt? Or is the field of BMXers attending out of there league?

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
The reason Boyko, Berrecloth and Bas are where they are in mtb is because they all rode 20s for years.

Ever hear of them back then?

There's your answer.
couldnt have said it better myself....

bmx kills.
honestly.
just watch some youtube videos of ccbmx---unsponsored kids that would put even the names at the top of MTB to shame.ridiculously good.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
The reason Boyko, Berrecloth and Bas are where they are in mtb is because they all rode 20s for years.

Ever hear of them back then?

There's your answer.
Exactly. I bet there are hundreds of bmxers that could pick up a mtb and be one of the best mtb "freeriders" in the world within a few weeks.

Although, from looking at the course, it looks like 20" wheels might be the wrong tool for the job. It'd be interesting to see guys slaying it on bigger wheels.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Exactly. I bet there are hundreds of bmxers that could pick up a mtb and be one of the best mtb "freeriders" in the world within a few weeks.

Although, from looking at the course, it looks like 20" wheels might be the wrong tool for the job. It'd be interesting to see guys slaying it on bigger wheels.
So what are they waiting for?

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
not everyone wants to ride a "mountain" bike. there really isn't a difference between the riders mentioned and all the 20 riders that will be competing(SP?)....they do the same stuff on different bikes. just my opinion, but it's interesting how many people think riding a bike with different size wheels really makes a huge difference when you're that good. i think they should have an open class in events like these, where people could ride any bike of their choice.

kidwoo made a good point..it would be interesting to see the riders switch bikes for a few weeks and see what happens.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
not everyone wants to ride a "mountain" bike. there really isn't a difference between the riders mentioned and all the 20 riders that will be competing(SP?)....they do the same stuff on different bikes. just my opinion, but it's interesting how many people think riding a bike with different size wheels really makes a huge difference when you're that good. i think they should have an open class in events like these, where people could ride any bike of their choice.

kidwoo made a good point..it would be interesting to see the riders switch bikes for a few weeks and see what happens.
I agree that would be cool.

From a homegrown perspective, do you think the crossover would be easier from 20 to 26 or 26 to 20?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
OK, maybe not hundreds, but a lot.

There are probably lots of reasons why they don't switch over. For one, bmxing is what they do, it's what they live and breath (which is why they are so good), they don't see a reason to switch. They might feel like switching would be "selling out" or not staying true to bmx. They might think that a 20" bmx bike is the best bike for what they do (which it is in most cases). Some might not have the money to get a nice "freestyle" mountain bike. I'm sure there are lots of other reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I like radness on any type of bike. I would like to see comps that allow any bicycle... whatever the rider prefers. 20s, 24s, 26s... all throwin it down on the same sh!t. I have a dream...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the freeriders would win in a "jibbing" contest, hands down

:homer:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
the freeriders would win in a "jibbing" contest, hands down

:homer:

I hope you're joking.
Also, not many BMXicans know anything about the cromo mtb hardtails from our world. We've got a mondo skilled, double backflippin BMXer here that says he tried to go mtb cuz he's 6'3" and thought more room would be nice. Said mtbs are junk, he broke it and almost died.
Found out later that he tried backflipping a Trek 4100. That's $40 up from a Walmart Mongoose.
But, 97% of the time I would say it's because for some reason, you gotta be a cocky little fvcking dick to be a BMXer and hating mtbers is just part of the game. Welcome to MY town. Punks, posers and pussies. Yet, I can drive an hour to a nearby town with a KILLER scene and they welcome me/us with cold Redbulls and kill-it attitudes. Every town has it's own attitude, some I respect, some can all get hit by trains.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I think it is defiantly easier to go from 20's to 26's. I think comps with 20, 24 and 26 inch wheels would be cool if each class was judged differently. I've really never rode BMX, but friends that have rode both MTB and BMX say you can get way more combos in on a BMX.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I agree that would be cool.

From a homegrown perspective, do you think the crossover would be easier from 20 to 26 or 26 to 20?
20 to 26 for sure, that's what i did. i think it would be very hard to jump on a 20 if you had spent all your time riding a 2-6. i spent a lot of time riding a 20 before jumping onto the bigger wheels. my bike is looking more and more like a 20 day by day...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Heh......I look at pics of myself when I raced bmx around 10 years old and the bikes fit me exactly the same as my mtb dirtjumper now.

But lets' be honest......bmx bikes were originally designed for kids. It's just that some of those kids kept riding them and started killing it.:D

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
i bought my first bike when i was 14---specialized stumpjumper fsrxc.
started doing xc for a year or two, then slowly sold my bikes for more aggressive ones...went trhough a tazer, a bighit, an m-pire, and now have an SXT.
around january i rode my friends 22lb Superstar bmx bike(at the time i had a 27.5lb mob), and it just felt like a lot more FUN.
i bought myself a custom(im sure many have seen my fly)...and havnt ridden my SXT since.

Having absolutely NO history in bmx, 2 months later i was still having a lot mor efun riding...i think its cause the bike weighs so little that all day rides dont wear me out as much, and i can throw tricks i wouldnt even dare on my MOB.

just wanted to share my little 26" to 20" story.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Mtb pros are getting better, but they've diffinately taken what bmx riders have been doing and moving it to bigger wheels. A lot of big tricks are being attempted on mtbs now. The only thing that bothers me is how guys on MTBs do a trick (i.e. double tailwhip) completely miss the pedals and land with their nuts on the rear tire, or top tube, then claim they pulled it, and even win contests with it. To pedals, or it doesn't count IMO.

One observation I've made is that botched tricks don't end up with the rider hitting his nuts on the rear wheel of a 20" nearly as much as botched tricks on 26". The smaller bike gives much more clearence.
I was in attendence at a Pro MTB dirt jump comp recently and was shocked at how many tricks were landed to "nuts" rather than "pedals".

MTB pros are very skilled, insainly good bike riders, BMX pros are better. 1080's, back flip no handed 360's, 720 double tailwhips, and flair turn down tail taps are all being pulled on 20" bikes, when it comes to dirt/street/park Mtb's can't touch BMXers yet.
So being a freestyle mtb is tougher?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Who cares? they chose their weapons for the sport, right? If riders start whining about "my sport is tougher than yours" then they should all be automatically DQ'd and sent to Golf camp. So far, I've never heard that, and I will puke on keyboard and never turn on my computer again if I do.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I duno, personally I got into mountain biking because I liked the idea of being able to ride in the forests since I love the out doors. I could never go back to BMX now...last time I rode one I nearly busted my wrist landing a bunny hop. I do think it takes more skill to go big on a BMX though, because you need to be smooth with no suspension. Unlike my bighit, where I can front wheel case a jump and still roll out just fine...which on a BMX bike would probly break something.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Who cares? they chose their weapons for the sport, right? If riders start whining about "my sport is tougher than yours" then they should all be automatically DQ'd and sent to Golf camp. So far, I've never heard that, and I will puke on keyboard and never turn on my computer again if I do.
I'm not trying to start an argument. I have the utmost respect for pro riders of all disciplines.

I think suspension and wheel size on 26' does add to forgiveness if a jump or trick goes wrong. But the size of a mtb makes more advance tricks more difficult (tailwhips, backflips, and all the other stuff I could not even imagine throwing on any bike).

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'm not trying to start an argument. I have the utmost respect for pro riders of all disciplines.

I think suspension and wheel size on 26' does add to forgiveness if a jump or trick goes wrong. But the size of a mtb makes more advance tricks more difficult (tailwhips, backflips, and all the other stuff I could not even imagine throwing on any bike).
Calm down, Indiana... you merely gave voice to something I've been waiting, but not wanting, to hear. I jumped on the idea, not you. I also agree with everything you just said.
Kind of a catch-22.

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
A lot of you think its all about gnarly technical ****, its not. Look at chase hawk, no tailwhips no technical stalls or anything. He just has style, slopeSTYLES is about style and not about the most crazy trick, a double back flip wont score as high on a judges card as a flowy 360 table. That said mtb pros have a lot of style and bike control, im sure if guys like mccaul chase bas and bearnuts were still avidly rippin 20's they would be pros in that as well in bmx.