Quantcast

Could you annodize...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Someone somewhere knows the answer to this...

Can I anno:
- Saint Cranks
- Saint brake bodies
- Thompson posts
- Handle bars.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If they are all aluminum (bars?), then yes. Not than aluminum is the only thing you can anodize. You'd need to remove the paint and the previous anodized layer if it's not clear, becuase you want to do pink, right?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i am sure about everything except the brake bodies. if its alu then no prob, think they are.

purple? :p

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I think they are aluminum. If they were magnesium like fork lowers, then you could anodize that too. I'm sure they aren't steel. :D

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
That's sort of what I was thinking. Maybe trying to base it off the pink stem I found from Straitline.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Magnesium anos but poorely, red looks muddy and black is grey by the time its done. It almost looks as bad as type III HC colored.
Aluminum will vary as far as color penatration pending oxide depth layer and aluminum series (ie 5/6/7) as well as tank PH. temp, time and seal coat.
Welds often ano a different color id they arent done slow and temp turned down, so there is alot of variables to accept and anno matching is a hit/miss.

Most ano shops have etch tanks that can strip the old ano off, if its powder coat take air craft stripper from Home depot and use it, make sure to clean it off real good and that there is none in the bar ends to leach out during the ano process.

Any reputable shop can do this.

Not too mention the variances of pinks out there and dyw suppliers.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Your buddy just crapped on the idea, directed me to Absolute Finish.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I will call Absolute in the Morning. Want to get this done and done right.

However, nothing compares to the anno job that Bullcrew did. That bike is the boar's tits.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
will the area for the o rings around the brake seals not get messed up if you ano them? It always looks highly polished and machined around that part.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
This in not exactly the thread for it but it's pretty similar and I hope that it's cool with the Bastard.

I'd love to rock XT cranks on my bike but their colour is way of. Which is the best way to make them black? Powdercoat or anodize?

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
will the area for the o rings around the brake seals not get messed up if you ano them? It always looks highly polished and machined around that part.
Type II anodizing will make parts larger by about .0005" so it should be fine. You'll probably want to check that though.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
The Hopes aren't cheap, and I can't get the bigger rotors. I thought long and hard about just going that way, and running 160's. However, I like my wife (oddly) and I think she's still fond of me (even more odd) so I don't want her getting all jacked up from arm pump or losing it and having "unnatural relations" (Navy term) with a tree. Then I'd have to kill the tree for having had its way with my wife, and if I do that in Tahoe I am going to serve time...

In seriousness, I just don't think the Hope's are in it to win it in the pink for an all day at Whistler or Northstar stopper.

I just spoke with Absolute, and the name of the game now is figuring out which Alu each of the parts are made of. I guess matching different grades with the same color is like figuring out who the real Daddy of Britney's babies is..