Quantcast

Counterfeit THomson Stems

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Never really expected this...

http://bikethomson.com/2012/03/08/counterfeit-thomson/

We discovered a counterfeit Thomson Stem on eBay recently. The seller took the auction down when we pointed the issue out. However, be warned when you buy from eBay or Amazon or anything similar, it is not necessarily a bike shop you are dealing with. The goods may or may not be new, and they may or may not be genuine.
If the seller has no contact information you are left with little in the way of remedy.
The really sad thing about this is that the counterfeit item was as much after shipping as buying a genuine item from a local bike shop.

thomson.jpg

Thomson Bike Parts
From Dave (the Stig): A couple of clues. We don't make a stem that looks like this. The bolts are not genuine. The job number is wrong (only we would know that), the instructions have a lot of mis-spellings. The bag is the wrong weight material, the string is wrong as well. Honestly, the machining and laser marking are not bad. We don't know what alloy it is and the anodized finish is not good.

Most LBS's would not have a counterfeit item. Items like this are made in China and only shipped into countries with lax customs. This stem was purchased by the eBay store owner in Taiwan and brought back in luggage. That you can still get away with.

American LBS's have good inventory. The issue with eBay or Amazon is anonymity. if you don't know who you are dealing with and you can't contact them, you have little leverage.

We swapped the guy who bought this for the real thing. We did not have to do that. Would Gucci, Coach, Ralph Lauren or for that matter other bike brands swap and make you whole? I would not bet large amounts of money on that. Just be smart.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Pretty impressed to see that Thomson swapped the fake stem for a real one. Great company!

When I'm looking for a stem or seat post, I never really consider other brands and buy a Thomson right away. Reading this encourages me to continue! :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
When I'm looking for a stem or seat post, I never really consider other brands and buy a Thomson right away. Reading this encourages me to continue! :)
been the same since Thomson came onto the scene...That said I just bought my first non Thomson stem this week a chromag, i like what those guys do.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wow. we've been seeing overseas clones for a while, but this is the first i've heard of a true knockoff.

good that thompson got this guy sorted; A+ move on their part.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
looks like a nukeproof stem branded up as a thomson. Kinda crazy that ppl are making knock off thomson products. Isnt imitation the biggest form of flattery or something like that. I know there was a loads of knock off pinerello dogma frames going on ebay. Suppose it was only a matter of time before the mtb scene was affected by it.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
Pretty impressed to see that Thomson swapped the fake stem for a real one. Great company!

the potential bad press of some sort of failure or the reputation loss based on quality issues, lost sales, etc. it seems like a pretty good idea for them to do that considering their stellar reputation. thomson is pretty much on top of their markets imho. How freakin low do you have to be to knock off parts like that?

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
looks like a nukeproof stem branded up as a thomson. Kinda crazy that ppl are making knock off thomson products. Isnt imitation the biggest form of flattery or something like that. I know there was a loads of knock off pinerello dogma frames going on ebay. Suppose it was only a matter of time before the mtb scene was affected by it.
In this case imitation is the easiest form of thievery.

Only reason I dont have thomson post on my bike right now is cause im on a reverb but...the thomson sits patiently on standby with a seat bolted up just waiting for the moment the uppy downy decides to stop working.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA

I am the same way. I love their stems. However I swithced to renthal. But always have been a fan of their posts!

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
How about now? ;)
Uhhh yeah, that exact iteration is at least 6 months old. I don't want to see them rush anything but I have been told "two weeks" sine august. In the meantime it seems like their main objectives are color kits and taking pictures of a stuffed egg named "eggbert" for their facebook page.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Uhhh yeah, that exact iteration is at least 6 months old. I don't want to see them rush anything but I have been told "two weeks" sine august. In the meantime it seems like their main objectives are color kits and taking pictures of a stuffed egg named "eggbert" for their facebook page.
I think their main objective is staying in business and making parts. Remember, they are a real machine shop that dables in bike parts on the side. Much like Hadley, I9 and I'm sure a few others.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Yes and no. Their color kits are a great way to make some quick money, but that's not the Thomson I want to support.

They have a booth and rep at every bike show. Doing so is not cheap...and for what? To show off the same handful of products that they have made for years. I don't think they are struggling financially.

They've released that they are working on a dropper post...awesome!!!!!:thumb: But one product at a time....give me the DM stem already! Apparently there is very little demand for it.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
maybe they feel some WC races will help better determine strengths, weaknesses, production and release dates.

http://instagr.am/p/H7MWeDJHHq/