Quantcast

Covid stress

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

On a semi-related note:

I know this was said (mostly) tongue-in-cheek, but I happened to be listening to a podcast the other day that brought up the apparent noted phenomenon of a decrease in mental health issues during times of really large crisis or war. Apparently, it's not just depressive assholes like me who feel better when shit gets really weird. Sebastian Junger wrote a book that addresses some of this that I guess I need to go find, and there is this apparently famous study done after WW2 that addresses a "community of sufferers". I'm no scientist or mental health expert, and perhaps there are plenty of holes to poke in the above noted works, but it does seem, at least anecdotally, to be a thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Tribe-Homecoming-Belonging-Sebastian-Junger/dp/1455566381
I feel like there are some parallels to this with nihilism as well, or whatever degree of that I have always considered myself to identify with. My mental and emotional stability and well being have always been a concern for most people that know me very well, but since this all started I almost feel more....normal? Like seeing a lot of general irritability, stress and inability to properly deal with it and overall emotional mood swings in just about everyone else to a degree gives me a "see?.... everything is fucked not happy and perfect like everyone likes to pretend" feeling.

Not sure I can adequately describe what I mean, as it's hard to describe in words. But I think I can draw parallels to what you described.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I feel like there are some parallels to this with nihilism as well, or whatever degree of that I have always considered myself to identify with. My mental and emotional stability and well being have always been a concern for most people that know me very well, but since this all started I almost feel more....normal? Like seeing a lot of general irritability, stress and inability to properly deal with it and overall emotional mood swings in just about everyone else to a degree gives me a "see?.... everything is fucked not happy and perfect like everyone likes to pretend" feeling.

Not sure I can adequately describe what I mean, as it's hard to describe in words. But I think I can draw parallels to what you described.
"Nihilist huh? That must be exhausting."

But seriously, that's actually a really good description. High five, my depressive brother!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Swinging on the pendulum between continuing my nearly 100% isolation (except for doctors) and considering forming a small bubble for social-distance visits.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've read Tribe. Very interesting. I'd send my copy to one of y'all if you'd like to read it.
16012220111278588928113515269168.jpg

Also, I'm not cruise-controlling through this any longer, I find it's a regular exercise to balance work, find fun, and manage isolation, being broken the last month + hasn't helped. Talk to your people, people

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

"Between January 2016 and December 2022, the monthly antidepressant dispensing rate increased 66.3%, from 2575.9 to 4284.8. Before March 2020, this rate increased by 17.0 per month (95% confidence interval: 15.2 to 18.8). The COVID-19 outbreak was not associated with a level change but was associated with a slope increase of 10.8 per month (95% confidence interval: 4.9 to 16.7). The monthly antidepressant dispensing rate increased 63.5% faster from March 2020 onwards compared with beforehand. In subgroup analyses, this rate increased 129.6% and 56.5% faster from March 2020 onwards compared with beforehand among females aged 12 to 17 years and 18 to 25 years, respectively. In contrast, the outbreak was associated with a level decrease among males aged 12 to 17 years and was not associated with a level or slope change among males aged 18 to 25 years."

Anecdotally, the Reddit thread I found this article in was FULL of older men describing very similar reactions to the one I had way back on page one of this thread. Basically, the COVID lock downs brought them some of their happiest/content days in adult memory. Can't say that I'm smart enough to parse out what that all may mean, but it does speak to my preconceived notion that modern society is fundamentally broken.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

"Between January 2016 and December 2022, the monthly antidepressant dispensing rate increased 66.3%, from 2575.9 to 4284.8. Before March 2020, this rate increased by 17.0 per month (95% confidence interval: 15.2 to 18.8). The COVID-19 outbreak was not associated with a level change but was associated with a slope increase of 10.8 per month (95% confidence interval: 4.9 to 16.7). The monthly antidepressant dispensing rate increased 63.5% faster from March 2020 onwards compared with beforehand. In subgroup analyses, this rate increased 129.6% and 56.5% faster from March 2020 onwards compared with beforehand among females aged 12 to 17 years and 18 to 25 years, respectively. In contrast, the outbreak was associated with a level decrease among males aged 12 to 17 years and was not associated with a level or slope change among males aged 18 to 25 years."

Anecdotally, the Reddit thread I found this article in was FULL of older men describing very similar reactions to the one I had way back on page one of this thread. Basically, the COVID lock downs brought them some of their happiest/content days in adult memory. Can't say that I'm smart enough to parse out what that all may mean, but it does speak to my preconceived notion that modern society is fundamentally broken.
tl;dr office life is a killer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I did find it interesting when I re-read this thread that everyone in this thread who talked about how COVID helped them realize that work sucks, still works those same jobs. Myself included. I also don't know what that means.
glad i'm on track to retire early

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I did find it interesting when I re-read this thread that everyone in this thread who talked about how COVID helped them realize that work sucks, still works those same jobs. Myself included. I also don't know what that means.
I actually changed 'career' 180°

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
COVID helped my employer get off their asses (with my help—I spearheaded this) and get us home workstations for ~50% WFH days

that definitely improved my quality of life. And allowing for after hours moonlighting from said home workstation also improved my income at the price of some otherwise likely wasted on internet time

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I had high hopes that COVID would wipe out the travel-for-work thing. It just seems like work-travel is even more horrible now.
I was recently asked to got to Chicago for a trade show, I said no. I was then told to go to Chicago for a trade show.

I sat down with my manager and told stories of how I had spent a good 6 months of my life setting up and tearing down 15,000 square foot booth full of robots and CNC machines. Working 14 hour days for a month straight. Stories of almost dying from taking 480V to my armpit because of a colorblind electrician and having a standoff with a bunch of Teamsters. Stories of being assaulted by a homeless guy walking back to my hotel.

He agreed that I shouldn't go to Chicago because he didn't want to have to listen to any more fucking stories about trade shows in Chicago.

1712207018403.png

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I was recently asked to got to Chicago for a trade show, I said no. I was then told to go to Chicago for a trade show.

I sat down with my manager and told stories of how I had spent a good 6 months of my life setting up and tearing down 15,000 square foot booth full of robots and CNC machines. Working 14 hour days for a month straight. Stories of almost dying from taking 480V to my armpit because of a colorblind electrician and having a standoff with a bunch of Teamsters. Stories of being assaulted by a homeless guy walking back to my hotel.

He agreed that I shouldn't go to Chicago because he didn't want to have to listen to any more fucking stories about trade shows in Chicago.

View attachment 209897
Sounds like IMTS. We won’t have a booth there this year, but I may need to go anyway….lucky me!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The transition to WFH and now getting to do that 4 days of the work week, absolute game changer.

What I realized is that my job doesn't suck. There's little stress, my coworkers are great and I view everyone in my leadership chain favorably. It pays decently and has okay benefits. There's little expectation of travel. I get to maintain standard working hours and am rarely bothered outside of that.

What does sucks is the commute and sitting in an office. Waking up early to fight traffic, sitting in a loud, distracting open office, fighting traffic and get home in the dark sucks. Only getting to see my rapidly growing kid for 3 hours (maybe) before bed, 5/7 days a week sucks. Feeling under appreciated because my personality and work style never meshed with the type A extroverts at work sucks.

I feel bad saying this, considering how many people had to die or have their lives irreversibly changed because of COVID, but some of the changes that came out of the pandemic have greatly benefitted my quality of life and mental health.