Quantcast

Cracked 2000 marz z1 drop off?

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Hey guys, I got home from riding and noticed a rather medium sized crack on my fork. How close do you think the fork is from totally caving on me? think im really risking my life riding it now?

Heres some pics. sorry its awful hard to get the crack on a pic. had to turn the flash off

Pics ( look near the bolts )

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
The pics are too blurry...but if what I think is a crack is indeed a crack, it's kind of silly to even ask if it is safe or not! :dead:

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
ahhh balls, Geuss i'll be taking it easy on that bike for now. The price you pay for those forks you'd think they wouldnt do that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
the pattern indicates a possible problem with overtightening. Anyhow, it does prove that those forks were not pieces of gold that came out of santa's arse. Excuse the comparission, but there are those hold outs that think those marzocchis were the end-all in terms of strength. Luckily it looks like something that will be fairly easily replacalbe, just get a new crown from that era.

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
the pattern indicates a possible problem with overtightening. Anyhow, it does prove that those forks were not pieces of gold that came out of santa's arse. Excuse the comparission, but there are those hold outs that think those marzocchis were the end-all in terms of strength. Luckily it looks like something that will be fairly easily replacalbe, just get a new crown from that era.

At the time they were the strongest thing going....

I may have a crown from an older Model zoke that would work.

Broken forks generaly lead to broken teeth. Don't ride it.

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Let me know if you have a crown that would fit. ill buy er off yah. I have to ride it to work so.... something bad musta happened inside too becuase the adjuster on the top wont turn anymore..... arggggggghh.:confused:

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Frankenschwinn
the pattern indicates a possible problem with overtightening.
I cracked a Z1 crown at that spot and it was set exactly to spec with a good quality torque wrench.

They break, that's all there is too it.

Call a dealer and get a new one.

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
Originally posted by Mitch
Let me know if you have a crown that would fit. ill buy er off yah. I have to ride it to work so.... something bad musta happened inside too becuase the adjuster on the top wont turn anymore..... arggggggghh.:confused:
I believe I have a crown from a 99 Z2. The one with the removable steer tube?

Is yours like that?

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
havent investigated teh fork much, I got the bike used and don't really know much about bikes yet. Its a 2000 z1 drop off. (used to be green till it was polished to the grey)

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
I cracked a Z1 crown at that spot and it was set exactly to spec with a good quality torque wrench.

They break, that's all there is too it.

Call a dealer and get a new one.
How much would a crown cost? or are you talking get a new fork

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Not to sound like a dick, but I think its time for a new bike. Seems like you've had a lot of issues as of late with it.
It is easy for someone to say "time for a new bike" when it is someone else paying for it.

What kind of bike is it?

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Your not being a dick by saying get a new bike. I'm currently working on saving for a norco 2004 4hun. I tried to order the sasquatch but they were sold out, so I went for the rampage. Also sold out:mad:

and the only bikes sold locaclly are norco/kona/specialized/rocky mountain/trek/cannondale.

But why not fix the bike I have now in the time being? I need it to get to work and keep myself out of the house. Sure i'm having alot of problems with it, but its helping me learn how to work on them at a great speed. And i havent spent that much on it yet

20$ for a new stem
80$ for a new crank arm/flat pedals

Fixed the bolt in the swingarm myself.

(canadian funds)

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
I should have said "you guys are helping me learn how to work on them" lol heh. This forum is the best. Ive never received such friendly assistance anywheres on the internet. The maturity level in here amazes me.

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Well I went to my LBS to see what kind of price I would be looking at to get a new crown shipped in. 200$ canadian after shipping :eek: . I would be better off shelling out for a new fork I think. Anyone have a crown from this fork they would sell at a decent price? I'm hurting here.