Quantcast

cracked my mother!@#$^&$ frame

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
So it looks like the rock gardens at massanutten put an end to my bike.

I have hairline cracks on either side of the shock mount (which is an obvious stress riser with a sharp 90 degree corner) but after 3 seasons I guess I shouldn't complain too bitterly.

Anyway I have a dilemma and I need thoughts from you distinguished internet cyclists.

I've had conversations with a couple of people about buying a used frame but I can't find anything thats not older and heavier than my current bike for a reasonable price. They probably ride better regardless, but I'd rather not throw good money at a 4-5 year old dh frame.

So basically, I have some options.

I could try to find somebody local to reweld the current frame and try to make it through the season without blowing up.

I could put my MIG setup to work and make a replacement rear triangle out of 4130 steel (at least 150 bucks but it might end up being fun).

Or I could try to work the bro deal magic for a new frame. However, my main concern on this is delivery time. I don't want to wait around for half the season with no bike to ride, and I don't know which companies have frames in stock and ready to go. My ideal would be to find a company sitting on a bunch of 08/09 stuff that they need to unload, but I need some intel. Anybody seen any screaming deals on new frames or have the scoop on a company that's got leftovers?

Alternatively, if you've got something used to offer, let me know in here or by pm. Current contenders are an 05 demo 9 for 500 and an 05 canfield f1 for 750, but I have my reservations about both bikes for various reasons. Seen some beat up sundays come through in that pricerange too but I haven't pulled the trigger.

Anyway, I'm at a loss. Too much going on and I just want to ride my dh bike. :help:

Last edited:

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
You should definitely be able to find a Glory, Sunday or Demo in that price-range. I have never, ever seen a Sunday frame fail, no matter how dented they became, so it would be a good long term option (there are companies that are, or will be, offering replacement frame parts soon for the Sundays).

I think you'll find that if you invest a bunch of time or money into keeping that old frame going, some other part will just break soon after you get it rolling.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Sorry to hear the news Clay. Sucks to hear that things went down like that. Mass a nasty will take out the best of us.

303rdh is being sold on go-ride or ride-this for 1500 and most of the other parts you could transplant over. It might be a little steeper but it would be depenadable.

Let me know if you need any help with bro deals.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Randall scott has the new airborne yakuza for way cheap complete...might be an option, then part out what you don't need or want.

Otherwise, find a used sunday. they are super cheap now since people want whatever is new, and they still are trucks.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
if your mig has an adjustable gas regulator and not one of the cheap fixed ones you could get a tank of argon and a spool of aluminum wire and weld that up yourself, contrary to popular belief you do not need a spool gun to mig aluminum just a short lead, well set up wire feed and good tip. however it would probably end up being cheaper to pay someone to tig it if you did the prep and look way better.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Yeah, I have an adjustable reg so I could do alu but I apparently need dedicated u shaped rollers (?) not to mention a tank of argon.

Also, can't ride a small frame unfortunately.

As for the airborne, that's insane! I hadn't seen that before but obviously the exact same frame. Email sent to randall scott.

Last edited:

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Oh I thought you broke the shock mounts on the front triangle. Sorry. I've got a front end sitting around that I'd love to have a swingarm for to build up as a mini dh or have as a backup.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
New bike is getting built as we speak so I hope to have pics and a ride report next week. Still waiting on some odds and ends.

Last edited: