Quantcast

Cracked rim.....Still good?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
So i got a cheap wheelset from a friend and noticed there is about a 1" crack running along the inside of the rim wall. me being thrifty i slapped some JB weld on there to see if it will hold. I guess i should say they are mavic ex 721's so they are not terribly cheap i just got a good deal. now i know why

so is this a good idea? im not worried unless somehow it could cause bodily harm down the road.

Reversed :spam:
Does anyone have a older style mavic ex 721 36h in grey? if so i have money and am willing to buy

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
So i got a cheap wheelset from a friend and noticed there is about a 1" crack running along the inside of the rim wall. me being thrifty i slapped some JB weld on there to see if it will hold.

niiice!

i found a 1" crack on one of my mtx rims, like 2 days before a whistler trip. i did exactly what you did...i smeared JB weld on both the outside and inside of the rim, with plenty of overlap for reinforcement around the crack.

that was back in september....it held up fine for a week of whistler and is still going strong. much to the dismay of my riding buddies...lol @ them.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
ha ha, yeah it looks good.

the only problem i have is that its a little out of true. im thinking it might be too much to fix. i think i also forgot to mention there is a small dent.

i forgot i have an old sun single track 36h sitting in my basement so i might just lace it up.

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
been riding on this rear 721 after i folded it back with a wrench... has a 1 inch crack along the sidewall right through the rim... still going strong 10 months later...

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
right now im pretty confident in the the JB weld. it looks pretty good. the only reason im worried about the rim is that its pretty out of true and the spokes seem to be tensioned well. So im guessing the rim is destroyed.

well see what happens

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
been riding on this rear 721 after i folded it back with a wrench... has a 1 inch crack along the sidewall right through the rim... still going strong 10 months later...
that was/is my exact situation. breaking down the bike for my whistler trip, i decided to bend a flat spot back, and it cracked.

for me, it wasn't about money, but that i didn't have enough time to buy and rebuild the rear wheel before the trip. my only option was to JB the cracked rim and ride it.

it's holding strong, and i feel no reason to replace the rim at this point.

cseymour

Chimp
Jan 26, 2009
i wouldn't ride it, but if you must and dont want the crack to grow, drill a small hole, like 2 or 3 times the width of the crack at either end if you can to reduce the stress.

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA

Dude! I got a dent just like that on a MTX. We beat it out and its got a tiny crack in it about 8mm long. JB welded it too

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
I rode a 2 month canada mtb assualt with a beat to **** 721 rim that had maybe 15 bent-back dings and cracks all over the place... that thing just would not die... i gave up a few weeks ago when the tyre peeled of twice.. built up another 721 for 2 more years of utter disrespect...

also thanks to maxxis DH tires i can do that damage and not get flats! Man have we got it good these days...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My buddy rode a 729 that was cracked at almost every eyelet for a couple seasons with no problems but you never know.

You can find Azonic Outlaws on sale right now so why chance it? Get a new wheelset or a new rim.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
ok update...

its going on my light urban/dj bike. its a transition double

so fully willing to give the rim a try i put it on the bike and spun it. seeing how badly out of true it was i decided to scrap it.

it is at my LBS getting a 36h singletrack put on right now (not the best but i had it laying around) it should work out ok.

thanks for the advise. i wish i could have atleast tried it but since i have a week til my fork gets here i figured i might as well switch it out now.

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
Measure it's exact length (as good as you can), then measure it after you've been riding, if the crack grows alot then you should be worried, but if it doesn't it shouldn't be any problem. The crack will not grow at a linear rate during it's entire phase, so if you measure it a couple of times and see that it starts to grow much faster than before I'd advise to change the rim, but if it stays the same it shouldn't be a problem or doesn't grow exponetially or something.