Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
Here's the set up:
73mm BB shell
1 2.5mm spacer on the drive side
2008 XT cranks, stock rings
older aluminum Truvativ bashguard (for like a 36tooth max) instead of a big ring

Here's the problem:
When I'm using the smallest cog (or two) the chain makes contact with the inside edge of the bashguard just behind the point where the chain rides onto the middle ring. I had originally thought (based on the sound only) that is was a front derailleur limit screw problem but when I looked at it I noticed that the chain just isn't clearing the inside edge of the bashguard as it rides onto the middle ring.

Any suggestions? I could potentially throw another spacer on the drive side but I'm not a big fan of that idea. I dug up another post where someone had a Dangerboy bashguard on their bike and it seemed fine. Do they make bashguards with different amounts of offset? I did notice that the mounting points on the XT big ring are really thick and that extra material is used to space the ring further out.

Thanks

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I did notice that the mounting points on the XT big ring are really thick and that extra material is used to space the ring further out.

Thanks
What you noticed is the problem. The 08 XT has a standard BCD but they changed up the width of the rings etc....probably in an effort to keep people on Shimano rings. I guess you could try a smaller guard to match your 32t middle ring or up your middle ring to 36t. You could also try moving out the BG with some thin washers between the spider and BG.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
How about just beveling/chamfering the inside edge of the bash. A hand file/grinder/sander should make quick work of the soft aluminum.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
just two rings and a bash. i had thought about maybe running a blackspire stinger or a heim or something but not sure i need the extra moving parts and weight.