Quantcast

Crank Bros 5050XX - what's the verdict?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
anyone been on these things long enough to give some insight on them? i am considering them for my next rig. tell me about them. are they wide/long/fat/narrow/grippy/slippy? i have heard the stock pins are not very grabby.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
mandown said:
anyone been on these things long enough to give some insight on them? i am considering them for my next rig. tell me about them. are they wide/long/fat/narrow/grippy/slippy? i have heard the stock pins are not very grabby.
I found that the 50/50s are great, if they are used with Five-Tens. I pedaled my bike around with a pair of Vans once, and my feet were all over the place.

Personally, I love mine, but I ride with Five-Tens, so they are a good match.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
that is a tough statement to evaluate. the 5.10s stick to everything!

what size shoe do you wear? does the pedal feel wide/long enough? i have a size 13 and i hate small pedals.

is the concave in the right place? i would guess the pin placement can help with this. are they low enough profile? any trouble with the plates coming loose or pins falling out? which pins are you using the smooth or the screws?

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
I rode mine with 5-10's and found my feet still shifted on the trails.... so i replaced the pins with half inch set screws and they work amazing. About 100 set screws will run you about $10-$15 and i think the pedals are around $60 or $70 for the none sealed version.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
jus said:
I rode mine with 5-10's and found my feet still shifted on the trails.... so i replaced the pins with half inch set screws and they work amazing. About 100 set screws will run you about $10-$15 and i think the pedals are around $60 or $70 for the none sealed version.
good to know. i am a bit insensitive to price on this purchase. i am more concerned with performance. i would probably get the XX sealed version with some new color plates and the long threaded pins.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
one of my boys back in asheville has them on his sunday with the stock pins and rides them with regular skate shoes. ive had the chance to pedal it around with some etnies on and well i dont like the stock pins and there isnt much of a concave in my opinion. although you can get the screw type pins for them from crankbros. and i wouldnt see a grip problem with them if you were to get the screw type pins, and then match them to 5:10's and well your feet arent going anywhere man. i would say go for them man they have grown on me i just dont like the very little concave that they have. i love tons of concave and a very low profile pedal. another option would be the tioga mx or the specialized low pro if you want a low profile pedal. although the specialized pedals seem to be very small and im with you i like a big pedal so the mx do me just fine.

MadDHer

Monkey
Mar 8, 2006
I found them to be great! They are very flat, and pedal really well. The pins are grabby, and as I mentioned...the pedals are really flat. Good stuff.

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
Are the only difference in the pins the length? If so I would just get set screws for them.... The stock pins don't seem to do much, and i couldn't see them being much better in a little longer version.

I'm not sure what other flat pedals weigh in at, but i weighed my bike the other day with and without pedals, and without them my bike was 2 pounds lighter.... Seems like alot to me, but like i said i'm not too sure what others weigh in at. Anyone?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I've had mine for a while, with stock pins in them. You definately need the set screw pins to aide in grip with regular skate shoes. 5.10's stick to damm near anything so I think for the judgement of a pedal 5.10's should be left out :)

But they spin nice, feel great, awesome build quality. Plus you can purge the lube in the sealed ones which is a nice feature to have on a pedal. I like mine alot. I was use to my Shimano DX platforms for a long long time but after getting these (and a set of Atom lab Trailkings) I do like the 5050xx's out of them. The Shimano's still spin better though........but I know they can't take the beating like the 5050xx's can.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I have a pair, and I found that the stock pins suck, but luckily they come with a full set of set screws. I put those in, and they're super grippy now. Bearings are smooth, and the pedals have a low profile. I'm a fan.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
jus said:
Are the only difference in the pins the length? If so I would just get set screws for them.... The stock pins don't seem to do much, and i couldn't see them being much better in a little longer version.

I'm not sure what other flat pedals weigh in at, but i weighed my bike the other day with and without pedals, and without them my bike was 2 pounds lighter.... Seems like alot to me, but like i said i'm not too sure what others weigh in at. Anyone?
Well.........there's what 450 something grams in a pound? I dunno what exactly the 5050XX's weigh, but I'd figure something like a pound or a little more per pair of pedals.

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
Is that heavy compared to other pedals??

If you are going to get these pedals for sure go with the sealed version. I rode mine down at Sea Otter and a couple times after that and i had to take them apart to clean and relube them because they would seize over night.

ride_balfa

Chimp
Jul 29, 2005
Yeah, i got a set with my sunday too. The stock pins aren't great unless you're running 5-10s (which is an awsome combination!) But I would suggest the screw pins if you're using regular shoes. Some shoe paterns do work well with the stock pins, but must don't.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
yeah, they have them at wheel world in culver. they look nice. i am looking for a bit more bling and style. my new rig will not be subtle. i don't want boring pedals :rolleyes:

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I have been riding 5050XX pedals I think i was one of the first to own them. I have them in silver wiht balck plats, I changed the pins right away, and they gripp just fine. I like how they are going to last me for a very lond time with all the replacment parts and how they have so many adjustments, I will agree that it isn't that concave and if you want some real grip go with the speedplay drillum of the syncros pedals

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005

Tioga MX Pro $69.99
Item: TIO100 Weight: 474.0g

The MX Pro seems to take its design cues from the Shimano DX pedal, but the departures it makes helps machine the MX's own niche. The machined alloy body looks like after the CNC machine took a turn with the pedal, a machinist went through and drilled extra holes for weight savings. The pins, 10 per side, stick out 5mm from the body and can be easily replaced when broken or ground down. Tioga also did some structural work on the pedal you can't see?they keep the diameter of the chro-moly pedal spindle large well into the pedal body to strengthen the axle and minimize the chances of bending. Another nice Tioga feature, one a few of our pedals have, is a concave platform. Lower near the spindle and higher at the front and rear ends, this means reasonably low stack height (better balance and greater efficiency) and better grip.

THERE YOU GO.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yes i love those pedals. you can add more pins for extra traction which is what i did, and well they stick in every condition, and you can ride them with skate shoes and they are amazing. plus the concave like sx trail said is insane which is what i like and they also keep the low pro look. although i dont know if they meet your bling factor but non the less they are kick ass pedals from experiance.

ohh and sx i have had 2 years on them and well they need to be rebuilt. what kinda greese do i use and can they even be rebuilt.thanks man much appreciated.(sorry for the thread derilure but i was just curious cause i want another 2 years outa these pedals)

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
awsome thinks man. i just need to re grease them. cause well you can feel a little bit of grinding from the bearings being so dry and well when you spin them you can hear a god awful noise.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I think if thier is a grease port you cna just you some grease and a grease gun to force out all that dirty grease out.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
i have the 5050xx i used the longer pins on the outside and the shorter on the inside to give it kinda more concave. works great with 510s and with skate shoes like globes, dc, vans rowleys. no complaints at all grip much better than my specialized lo-pro mags and dont crack like zuzus

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Bicyclist said:
I say go for Tioga MX Pros. I've said it and I'll say it again: best damn flats out there.

:stupid:

Sold mine cause i wanted a change, then bought the crank bros xx...

sold the crank bros xx and bought the mx's again because they just rock. Pretty cheap too...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i may just end up with the tiogas. however, this thread is still open to the discussion of the 5050XX. anyone with time on them, post up your stories.