Quantcast

Crank Bros Candy Spindle

Not sure where else to post this, and since I spend most of my time lurking around here, I figured I'd throw it here.:bonk:

Was out on a trail ride today and had a pedal spindle decide to become two peices instead of one. 13months old...juuuuust out of warranty.
Although I'm not sure if these carried a warranty as I got them last year at Interbike and they're labeled 'Interbike 05' on the body. Maybe they gave deep deals on them saying there's no warranty. (Purely speculation on my part)

Anyone else have an issue with spindles on the crank bros. pedals?
I only worry cause I use a pair of Mallets on the dh bike and I don't want one failing there.

Anyone know if the spindle used on this set of Industry pedals is the same as the SL, or is it the plain jane C version spindle?
---nevermind I just looked at their website-----
Cromoly Spindle on the C, and Stainless Steel on the SL's.

Maybe I'll try and get a pai of SS spindles....

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Give their customer service a call - they're EXCELLENT! I slammed a pedal (Mallet) hard into a rock last spring and bent a retention bar on one side. Called them and they had me send it in for repair - no questions asked. Completely my fault but they still took care of the problem and fixed them within a couple of days. Awesome. And I've heard/read similar stories, too.

toby

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Anyone else have an issue with spindles on the crank bros. pedals?
I only worry cause I use a pair of Mallets on the dh bike and I don't want one failing there....
That's ok, because I broke those too. Bent cage, broken spindle, not to mention the bent cages with the eggbeaters, the pedal sliding off of the spindle, the broken bearing, etc. I think they're cheaply made pedals, simple, fairly light, but there's a lot of tradeoffs. I don't think exit is consistant, although the force to exit is usually less than with other pedals. Entry is difficult sometimes due to the "rolling" motion required. CB's customer service IS good, but I've grown tired of having to constantly repair/replace my CBs.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
email CB. i completely destroyed a mallet and they had me send it in so they could give me a new one for free. i dont think i even payed shipping.

and this was out of the warantee period

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I wish they would make longer spindles for the Mallets. I gave up riding clips a few months back because I grew so fond of how much wider I can put my feet on flats. Leverage rules!

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
Crankbrothers clipper pedals are the best out there in my experience.
Predictable entry & exit in all sorts of conditions including
mud,snow and ice with above average durability compared to Shimano and Time.
Also the customer support is exceptional.
(Thanks to JASON@crankbrothers)
I shop Crankbrothers exclusively at www.Broform.com.
"Log in and get the hookup"

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Predictable entry & exit in all sorts of conditions including
mud,snow and ice
Except when you hit a rock with the bottom of the mech.

Except when your cleats are a little worn.

Except when you try to release any way other than "heel-out"

Except when you are trying to enter the mallets and your foot slips off the pedal because the mech wasn't at the proper orientation.

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
Except when you hit a rock with the bottom of the mech.
Watch where you place pedal strokes.
thats common sense.

Except when your cleats are a little worn.
Why would you ride with worn cleats?
Thats rider error.

Except when you try to release any way other than "heel-out"
Heel out is the correct way to release from clips.
thats basic Mountainbiking 101.

Except when you are trying to enter the mallets and your foot slips off the pedal because the mech wasn't at the proper orientation.
Inproper cleat installation is ham fisted mechanical ability
and a responsible rider should be aware of proper cleat installation.

get a clue son and don't blame anyone for your weakness.