Quantcast

Crank Bros Eggbeater Pedals

R

RideMonkey

Anyone seen these? SICK!!!! How is it no one thought of this before? I just wonder about the lack of any platform.................

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Looks really clever. As for lack of platform , the cleat seems to have potoon type sides which presumably contact the pedal body so the shoe should be well supported when clipped. It is a skinny thing though for times when you don't get in. Give a year and let other riders guinea pig it.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Let's be honest, what do you really need any platform for? Your foot doesn't contact the pedal at all - only the cleat. Most of what platform provides is a way to spin the pedal to clip in - with four entry possibilties this is not needed.

I find that they are a bit spendy for my tastes. I'm not a gram-shaver so the basic TIME Alium pedal is cheap and easy for me. I have to admit, they are really cool-looking, though!

A big selling point is going to be the road/mtb versatility. Kinda like a "unisex" pedal! :wink:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Not true at all. The sole does sit on the pedal body of most clipless pedals, Time included. When you wear your sole enough that the cleat sticks out further than the sole the shoe gets tippy when clicked in. Plus, look at a used set of pedals and you'll see wear marks from the shoe sole on the body. Try putting the shoe in the pedal without your foot in it and look for yourself. I think what our friend is talking about though is when your not clipped in but still on the pedal.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
A buddy of mine used them at the 24 hrs of snowshoe, they feel very much like times and weigh a bunch less, he used them for like three months during development no problems, whatsoever.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by ridemonkey
Anyone seen these? SICK!!!! How is it no one thought of this before? I just wonder about the lack of any platform.................

i just have a mental picture of the first time i slip getting into them or slip out on a jump or something and raking all the skin off my shin:help:

Originally posted by The Toninator

i just have a mental picture of the first time i slip getting into them or slip out on a jump or something and raking all the skin off my shin:help:
Jesus!! Ya should see all the scars I've got from missing DMR V12's:eek:
Flat pedals really make a mess if you contact them.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by Revol

Jesus!! Ya should see all the scars I've got from missing DMR V12's:eek:
Flat pedals really make a mess if you contact them.
Yep, still have scars from my Beartrap pedals (am I showing my age?) from my old BMX days. An Egg beater will just feel like a hammer to the shin, not a meat tenderizer.:D