Quantcast

Crank?

yellowjam

Chimp
Apr 17, 2008
I am having some trouble with my crank. I talked to the bike store and they said it sounds like the bearings inside are going out. Right now I have a 10 year old Jamis Durango - with a Shimano crank - most likely bottom of the line. I want to replace it with something that is good, but definitely not the best of anything. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, is it worth fixing a bike like this or should I look at a new one?

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
get a new bike. you can get disc brakes, new cranks, more gears for around 400$.

shop will charge 40 for a bb and 50 for a tune-up/install. or new cranks will be 100 to 150$.

Or you can spend 1000$ and get an entry level full suspension bike.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Sounds like you need a new bottom bracket. That's the bearings and axle that the crank spins on. No need to replace any other parts unless there are other problems. Should cost about $20 for a low end Shimano BB and a half hour labor. It really is a quick fix. I could swap BBs in your bike in less than 10 minutes and there is no adjusting needed. If you are doing a lot of riding keep saving till you have at least $800 and get a sweet used XC hardtail or save more and get a full suspension trailbike.