Quantcast

Cranks for my M3

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
Ive always ridden with 175 cranks, Ive never noticed it hit the rocks quite often but last time I rode my bike I did. I rode my M1 at that time. I think I best go with 165 or 170mm cranks.

Now I am off to Portes du Soleil with my M3 and I'm in search for 'new' (or secondhand) cranks so I must have them on quite short term. Ive got the (older) 73mm bracket by the way.

Ive got a few options:

XT (130 euro)
Pro: Fairly light, not much flex, cheap
Con: Not very strong, only go as low as 170mm

Diabolus (250 euro)
Pro: zero flex, look nice
Con: pricey, heavy, hard to find in 165mm en 170mm

Saint (130 euro)
Pro: ?
Con: Havent heard much positive talk about em. (even heard XT would be better?)

Middleburns (from 200 euro)
Pro: light
Con: expensive, harder to get (spares too)

BMX cranks (>150):
Pro: no flex, easy to get in 165
Con: Problems with mounting chainguide and bashring, heavy, hard to find a good set for a low price

Diabolus look the best I think but I dont really care how they look. Ive got bad experiences with Truvativ and FSA so I dont want these.

Someone got some good advice on the Saints? Or some advice on running BMX cranks? Dont know how to mount that the best way. Ive got a MRP system 1 / 2 mix.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
go for the middleburns, my friend rocks em and loves em. he said they warrenty everything. there warrenty covers fr and dh riding even though there not DH specified cranks. . or they mite be?

i know they rock, there light and have good warrenty

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
dude saints have got to be some of the stiffest cranks out there. honestly if they wernt so damn heavy id probly be grabbing a pair for my next rig. ohh and about the xt's i know guys that have been running the same pair for 3 years man. there plenty strong enough and 170 length on an m3 is fine.

reidhresko

Chimp
Jun 27, 2006
PRB
i rock diabolous 165mm cranks on my m3. the have taken all the abuse I can dish out and remain in great shape. kind of heavy and expensive, but you will never, ever think about your cranks again after putting them on.

i have a buddy who runs a 3 piece diety setup on his m3 and it seems to work very, very well as well...

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
For the people recommending shimano, can you still get XT/Hones in the 83mm BB shell and 128mm spindle option that the M3 has?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
For the people recommending shimano, can you still get XT/Hones in the 83mm BB shell and 128mm spindle option that the M3 has?
He has the older frame with the 73mm bb.

But..that frame came with either 135 or 150 rear spacing. This spacing will determine your crank spacing. If you have a 135 rear, the propper cranks will come very close, or hit the seat stays in any size larger than 170 (and possible the 170 as well depending). If you have a 150 rear, you will need a longer bb spindle to get propper chainline. This would eliminate several of your choices.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
personally id get the xt's or bmx cranks. i ran xt's for 2 years when they first came out and loved them but noticed they did flex here and there and were not that strong. now i run deity 3 piece cranks on all my bikes and dont think i will ever switch to anything else. they are lighter than saint/diabolous and if you order a ti bb spindle and or bolts your looking close to xt weight or under. plus with 3 piece cranks you get 4 sealed bearings, chromo arms, endless adjustability for your chain line. also order a e13 super spider and guide ring... takes all the trouble out of mounting everything up

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
personally id get the xt's or bmx cranks. i ran xt's for 2 years when they first came out and loved them but noticed they did flex here and there and were not that strong. now i run deity 3 piece cranks on all my bikes and dont think i will ever switch to anything else. they are lighter than saint/diabolous and if you order a ti bb spindle and or bolts your looking close to xt weight or under. plus with 3 piece cranks you get 4 sealed bearings, chromo arms, endless adjustability for your chain line. also order a e13 super spider and guide ring... takes all the trouble out of mounting everything up
You're being awful generous with your assumptions of weights comparing deity's to saints, and even to XT's. They're great solid cranks, but no where near as light as Saints, let alone XT's.

These are deity's before you even add the e13 super spider (+113g)

A Saint setup (including the spider already & bb) is 1000g. XT's are 578g + bb (100g) = 678g

Sourcing a TI axle for the Deitys might get it down to Saint weight, but good luck on that one. Deitys are solid, but are in no way the same weight as either Saints nor Xt's.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
go for the middleburns, my friend rocks em and loves em. he said they warrenty everything. there warrenty covers fr and dh riding even though there not DH specified cranks. . or they mite be?

i know they rock, there light and have good warrenty
Yeah, great warranty. It's lifetime, they just don't included tapers, splines, or threads with that. :rolleyes: