Quantcast

crankset for DH bike: Race face atlas fr VS. shimano Saint

I.H3.40

Chimp
Aug 14, 2008
hya
my wife is 53 kg, and rides DH.

which crankset would you recommend for her new rig?

we are considering race face atlas freeride- VS-shimano saint (83mm bb shell)

weight is important in her new rig!

thanks

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Well if you want cranks that have a terrible interface design and will start falling off after just a little while, get the Atlas. If you want a bombproof crank that you can run for a decade without worrying about, get the saints.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Take a look at this DH crank with 83mm BB shell

coming in at 730g incl BB making it lighter than Saint,Atlas FR and Gravity Lite.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Well if you want cranks that have a terrible interface design and will start falling off after just a little while, get the Atlas.
speak for yourself. 2 years on Atlas and 4 years on Diabolous w/ no loosening issue

this thread should get interesting
:popcorn:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The interface used by Shimano and FSA is much more tolerant of BB width dimension. Both the Truvative and Raceface system have issues if your shell isn't spot on in width.

Go with the former.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
speak for yourself. 2 years on Atlas and 4 years on Diabolous w/ no loosening issue

this thread should get interesting
:popcorn:
Luckily I'm only speaking for friends. Never been foolish enough to buy one of those. Seen more than enough with problems thank you very much. It's just a bad design, no ifs ands or buts.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i have nothing against race face but there is no logical reason to go with the atlas cranks over the saints, the interface is just flat out worse, i dont want cranks that were built so they could be shipped easier.

Go SAINT

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I have heard good things about both, but prefer the Saints. For her - unless she is a monster on her equipment -the Saints might be overkill. As someone said, an 83m version of the XTs would be perfect. How does the SLX compare in weight?

That having been said, I have not heard of any Saints breaking, so they will likely last from build to build. I have an older set (2005) that I still run without a single complaint. I might even be on the original BB bearings too. My new build is coming with the new Saints, no question.

I.H3.40

Chimp
Aug 14, 2008
Take a look at this DH crank with 83mm BB shell

coming in at 730g incl BB making it lighter than Saint,Atlas FR and Gravity Lite.
this looks great.
who makes them?
wouldnt they suffer from the same weaknesses mentioned about race face and truvativ?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Well if you want cranks that have a terrible interface design and will start falling off after just a little while, get the Atlas. If you want a bombproof crank that you can run for a decade without worrying about, get the saints.
Any crank will start to fall off after just a little while if you don't follow the instructions.. Hell it happened to my old Saint Cranks, as soon as I read the instructions and put it back together right I never had a problem.. Issues with the Atlas cranks I've heard about, all sound like improper installation..

I personally I have had zero issues with my Atlas FR cranks on my DH bike(followed the instructions to a T) and none with my "New" Saint cranks on my FR/fun bike. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

explain to me why the race face system is better...you're right this should be good.
Running Atlas cranks for 1 year now. Assembled and reassembled multiple times and they go together solid. I have bikes with Shimano's interface and albeit they are not as quick to remove or put on but they are still a quality product. I've talked to RF cranks owners that bash the interface and all of them are hacks when it comes to wrenching on bikes.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
explain to me why the race face system is better...you're right this should be good.
hmm did i say it was superior? nope didnt think i did, but thanks for reading :rant:

Running Atlas cranks for 1 year now. Assembled and reassembled multiple times and they go together solid. I have bikes with Shimano's interface and albeit they are not as quick to remove or put on but they are still a quality product. I've talked to RF cranks owners that bash the interface and all of them are hacks when it comes to wrenching on bikes.
oh lordy lord, dont say that! ;)

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
X2 Only issue Ive had with multiple sets of raceface cranks over the last few years has been losing the left hand threaded self extraction bolt. Im not saying its better than shimano, just that I haven't had any loosening of my cranks even with regular removal for cleaning. I would go with whichever is cheaper to be honest, both work fine

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I asked the same question some time ago. The same discussion ensued.

Saints are slightly heavier, but are stronger, stiffer, and have a better interface. I guess it's something with the way it goes together, over time the tolerances get worse. I went with the saints and have had people comment on how stiff they are. No reason not to, except for the purple.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
this looks great.
who makes them?
wouldnt they suffer from the same weaknesses mentioned about race face and truvativ?
who makes them? :rolleyes: click on the .jpg and you'll see it's BOR, a German company. here's the product link. 500 euros MSRP.

The spindle is permanently attached to the crank ring side, like shimano. The double pinch bolt design on the other crank is also shimano-like. overall looks like a nice crank but i've not ever seen a pair.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
The lbs where i mostly come sells BOR cranks,i have seen them on 2 bikes of the Enduro/All Mountain model for 68/73mm BB.The DH version is slightly heavier but still at 730g it's lighter than it's competition of DH cranks,the bearings on the BB makes the cranks to rotate very smooth and very light!

Last edited:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I had 3 seasons on RF Diabolus. I thread locked the puller cap, and never had them loosen once. The original BB lasted the 3 years as well.
I ran Atals FR's last year on my Dh bike and they were set and forget. I swapped them on to my Freeride/trail bike as they are 170's and put a 165 Atlas FR's on the DH bike. Same experience again.
I know Saints are great too, but it pisses me off that people **** on the RF BB interface. I've had 3 sets, I ride hard 5 days a week in a wet muddy climate. They never loosen, the BB's last a long time, they are light, they are stiff, and the arm material is hard as hard as chuck Norris. What more can you ask of cranks?
To me you can't go wrong with either crank.......you can get Atas FR's in pretty colors so that might appeal to her.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I know Saints are great too, but it pisses me off that people **** on the RF BB interface. I've had 3 sets, I ride hard 5 days a week in a wet muddy climate. They never loosen, the BB's last a long time, they are light, they are stiff, and the arm material is hard as hard as chuck Norris. What more can you ask of cranks?
blasphemy! RF is teh suck according to RM :monkeydance:

babyx

Chimp
Dec 26, 2009
israel
At that weight, I'd recommend Gravity Lites...
(im his wife)

the gravity lites didnt last long for me...they tend to loosen where the bb and the crank arm connects.
if i had the option i would go for XT, but since they dont make 83 bb shell, and i can be bothered with making pirate installations...

im gonna go with the atlas, after reading this thread. ive had the saint, it even broke my ankle once, since its so stiff, but with purple you cant go wrong...

(and im a mechanic, so i can fix problems if they appear)

so thanks!!!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Any crank will start to fall off after just a little while if you don't follow the instructions.. Hell it happened to my old Saint Cranks, as soon as I read the instructions and put it back together right I never had a problem.. Issues with the Atlas cranks I've heard about, all sound like improper installation..
While I generally agree with this, and am pretty vocal about calling out people who should not be handling a wrench......

I can for 100% certain say that this is not the case at least with earlier versions of the RF interface. This was and still is a 'wearing' press fit interface between two vastly different materials with no way what so ever to make up for or adjust for wearing.

RF was very good about replacing my early cranks, but I went through many (both atlas and diabolus) of them. Each and every set, lasted 3 or 4 install cycles (they were tight, stiff and felt great after the first install) before the interface was loose with no way to remedy the situation.

Also, not a durability issue per-se, but the bearing pre-load system on the RF and many truvativ cranks is downright sad. It necessitates multiple intall cycles (at the very least) as well as promotes out of spec preload that destroys bearings.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Sorry, gotta ask. Why are people installing and uninstalling thier cranks? I never could figure that out. Travelling? Boredom?

I got a guy on a set of Atlas FR cranks this year. He followed the instructions, beat the **** out of them, and didn't have a single concern.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Sorry, gotta ask. Why are people installing and uninstalling thier cranks? I never could figure that out. Travelling? Boredom?
Installing and spacing the chain device, tightening and servicing chainstay pivots, tightening or adjusting the ISCG tabs after hitting a rock...
I really feel that my FSA ISIS crank interface is worn after 5-6 removals, will last maybe 1 or 2 more, and will develop play afterwards.
I'm happy with the ISIS Gravitys so far, and hope not to have to take them apart again anytime soon, as it may be the last time. I know my cranks are from a softer alloy than top end RF cranks, but anyway, there's no way the press fit spline interface can be as durable as a loose spline with pinch bolts.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Didn't saint have overly burly bash tabs? Potential problems with e13 srs, gamut and straitline chain devices. That was the main reason I didn't get them.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Didn't saint have overly burly bash tabs? Potential problems with e13 srs, gamut and straitline chain devices. That was the main reason I didn't get them.
they do have burly tabs but many people have successfully run the SRS+ without any problems, even though it isn't recommended by E13. I was considering that originally before deciding on the LG1+.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
they do have burly tabs but many people have successfully run the SRS+ without any problems, even though it isn't recommended by E13. I was considering that originally before deciding on the LG1+.
Yeah I know but still risking it during a race run is tricky. I'm actualy going for straitline this year and having a big gap there would have been even a bigger problem imho.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I hear what you're saying, but people who have actually run the combo have had no problems. Theoretically? Sure, there's a gap. In practice? Seems like no problemo.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
At that weight, I'd recommend Gravity Lites...
I agree. I ran my Gravity Lites for 2 years with no problems. They took a beating at Whistler, the Shore, Fernie and Big Moutain Resort. I sold them to a buddy and he is running them still. They are still tight and light.