Quantcast

Crap....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So I'm not sure if you guys remember a few weeks ago I went for an interview at an architecture firm in Philly. Well I hadn't heard back from them for a couple weeks when all of a sudden I get an e-mail asking me to come work for them...

problem is things here at my job have really turned around and while I haven't gotten my raise I'm due as soon as they get the financial stuff figured out.

My gf is starting her masters classes in 2 weeks... which we were holding off on till we knew what we were going to do.

WTF......

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
stinkyboy said:
No growth without change.
In some ways the job would be taking a step back.
Better pay probably, different type of jobs, city life as opposed to living on a farm, however they are more technically antiquated then my current office.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It looks like their first choice dropped out and you are the No. 2. I doubt any serious offer lets you hang around waiting for another job offer.

It sounds like you made a decision to stay, but if the new offer gives you something you wanted besides a change...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
sanjuro said:
It looks like their first choice dropped out and you are the No. 2. I doubt any serious offer lets you hang around waiting for another job offer.

It sounds like you made a decision to stay, but if the new offer gives you something you wanted besides a change...
I don't really think that is the case... I mean it could be... but I know in the business Architects tend to take their time making decisions like this. I know thats how my boss was when he hired me and I was his first choice.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
stosh said:
problem is things here at my job have really turned around and while I haven't gotten my raise I'm due as soon as they get the financial stuff figured out.
How long until things are back to the same old way they were?

And where is your cash?!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Not that it matters much. I was hired on as a contractor while they were interviewing permanent candidates. The one that accepted the offer flaked on the day he was supposed to report. I am now the next guy in line.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
riderx said:
How long until things are back to the same old way they were?

And where is your cash?!
Again, I work for a small company which I like so sometimes you have to make exceptions... yeah money is a big deal... but there are a lot of perks to working at a small firm.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
Devil is in the details. Where in Philly? How close to trails will you be?
Actually it's in a town called Manyunck.... I don't think I've seen a town more bike oriented before in my life... but for real trails... I'm not sure how far away from them I would be.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
McGRP01 said:
Stay where you are, settle down, get married and have kids. That's what I did...change scares me.

It's funny how different people can be.....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
manyunk has some *great* restaurants...i'm guessing that wickahisson isn't too far from there either. i'm sure Ian has the info.
Yeah I was going to get in touch with him about all this.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
change is good... sometimes being in one place too long just makes life ordinary.. i dont like ordinary. If its a good amount of money more thjan i would seriously consider it... remeber #1 you can always move back, #2 you just might like the new place more

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
hooples3 said:
change is good... sometimes being in one place too long just makes life ordinary.. i dont like ordinary. If its a good amount of money more thjan i would seriously consider it... remeber #1 you can always move back, #2 you just might like the new place more
There is no 401k like I have here and there are no bonuses which are about $2500 a year here but bonuses are not a "sure thing" every year.

I'm due for a raise here because took a promotion since in March but I still haven't gotten the pay for it but I've been doing all the work.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stosh said:
There is no 401k like I have here and there are no bonuses which are about $2500 a year here but bonuses are not a "sure thing" every year.

I'm due for a raise here because took a promotion since in March but I still haven't gotten the pay for it but I've been doing all the work.
Hmmmm....... no 401k sucks a$$, IMO. Especially at your age.

That would be a deal breaker for me, unless the difference in pay was *really* significant.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
SkaredShtles said:

That would be a deal breaker for me, unless the difference in pay was *really* significant.

yeah for me too.. i want to retire early and not worry about a thing.. thats why I work for the city... a little less salary ( which i make up in o/t ) but a great retirement plan plus you can also contribute to a 401k type plan

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SkaredShtles said:

He hasn't made an offer but I would say the pay increase will be about $10k

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Interesting conundrum, stosh.

If you're happy where you are, take away from this situation the fact that your services are skilled enough to where you're a great candidate for the position wherever you decide it is you should be. Other firms seem interested in having you as an employee, so when things balance out with the masters degree, branching out won't be too much of a hassle because you're developing the skills other companies find desirable in your field. Wait for the right position---it'll come.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
ditto that.
Well I have one now and aside from the 2% match my office offers I could slide it over and just add my own $ to it.

Anyway I enjoy working in small architecture offices but sometimes these small offices aren't able to offer such things.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Greyhound said:
Interesting conundrum, stosh.

If you're happy where you are, take away from this situation the fact that your services are skilled enough to where you're a great candidate for the position wherever you decide it is you should be. Other firms seem interested in having you as an employee, so when things balance out with the masters degree, branching out won't be too much of a hassle because you're developing the skills other companies find desirable in your field. Wait for the right position---it'll come.
I totally agree and I don't think I'm rushing to a decision at the first job that comes along. IMO this job offer is VERY similar to what I do now which I really enjoy. However there is bump in pay and the possibility to live and work in Philly which I've grown to love.

PS. I've sent out a lot of resume's stating I'm willing to relocate however I haven't gotten very few back and I know it' because setting up an interview and moving somewhere takes more time than a lot of companies are willing to wait.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
stosh said:
I totally agree and I don't think I'm rushing to a decision at the first job that comes along. IMO this job offer is VERY similar to what I do now which I really enjoy. However there is bump in pay and the possibility to live and work in Philly which I've grown to love.

Philly rocks. I know Drew Carey thinks it's Clevland, but he's wrong. I love the vibe that Philly has.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stosh said:
Well I have one now and aside from the 2% match my office offers I could slide it over and just add my own $ to it.

Anyway I enjoy working in small architecture offices but sometimes these small offices aren't able to offer such things.
The problem with converting is that the limits you're allowed will be much lower doing it on your own. With an employer sponsored 401k I think the limit is something like $13,500 a year.......

Compare that to an IRA which currently has, what - a $4k per year limit?

-S.S.-

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Greyhound said:
Philly rocks. I know Drew Carey thinks it's Clevland, but he's wrong. I love the vibe that Philly has.
Yeah it has a small down feel. It's funny we were going across the Ben Franklin bridge the other day into the city and someone stops and asks for direction ahead of us in line. I must have taken 2minutes for the toll booth worker to explain and NOBODY honked their horn... I couldn't believe it. I'm so used to driving in NYC.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
I thought you were moving to NC.
I sent out a bunch of resume's didn't get anything back. Greyhound had a job for me at one point but I was recommended against the area the job was in.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SkaredShtles said:
He's not moving. He's too much of a pansy to go out on a limb like that......... :monkey:

-S.S.-
Weren't you the one just stating that the 401k is a deal breaker?

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
stosh said:
That was my point in the earlier post. They've been getting the work, where's your money? With a small firm it shouldn't be tied up like some giant corporation. Are they going to pay you retroactively from the day you assumed the new responsibility?

I'll bet if you told them you were leaving they would find that raise real quick...