Quantcast

crash pix

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
R

RideMonkey

Dude, how the hell did you manage that? Is that the result of a compuond fracture?

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
yeah, it was a compound fracture. the wound from the bone was on the other side of my foot. This infected wound is from the reconstructive surgery.

Yesterday, I found out it's in bad shape. I've now got a new surgeon at UT Southwestern Medical Center Dallas. Monday they are going to operate to remove as much of the infection and remove the metal screws and plate. This metal is giving the bacteria a safe place to hide and grow since the metal cant fight infection like tissue can. THis postpones my much needed 2nd reconstructive surgery. They need to get the tissue healed inorder to operate again.

If the ifection were to worsen, I could face a 50/50 chance of loss of the foot, or partial foot. Bone infection and dead bone is something I dont want.

So take care to protect your feet. The HEEL bone is like an egg. It has a strong outer shell but it is "hollow" and when you hit it just right, I shatters into a 100 pieces, collapsing the joints in your heel that give you range of motion and help balance.

I will never ride aggressively again in VANS or any other soft sole shoe. Maing big drops and big jumps need protection like a motorcycle. The motorcycle boot had a hard sole and spreads the shock of an impact all the way up your leg.

Obvoiusly, DH guys cant ride a MX boot. You can bet that I'll find something or have something custom made for both my legs/feet. Just find something other than soft sole shoes. Becides being extremely painful, it life altering to go through what I am going through.

Anyway, I sold my Intense M1 after 24 hours in mtbreview.com. It's shipping out today. I was shocked and happy although not suprised cause the bike is sweet.

I just want to keep my foot and get a Brooklyn TMX next summer. thanks for all the kind messages.

Laterz,

Joel hester

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Originally posted by KrusteeButt

Ha ha ha! I assume you're familiar with that thread of mine?

In response to the pic....I'm gonna hurl! :eek:
no ut i have heard that is what the wound looks like
when it is bad.

sorry about you foot joel., i will pray for your healing.

stinky six

Chimp
Nov 12, 2001
watson, louisiana
joel, if the infection won't respond to traditional therapy, get the doctor to look into maggot therapy , they use it all the time in europe with great results. the doctors here in the states are subsidised by the drug companys and are encouraged not to try things that does not include the use of their products. i know a guy who all most cut his leg off at the knee while skiing in austria, the infection made his leg swell to 4 times it' normal size and antibiotics were not helping, they used maggot therapy and in 3 weeks they had ate all the dead and infected tissue, it saved his leg. look into it dude and best of luck. when you get back on the bike , us monkey's from louisiana will come to dallas and do a ride and through a party for ya.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by stinky six
joel, if the infection won't respond to traditional therapy, get the doctor to look into maggot therapy , they use it all the time in europe with great results. the doctors here in the states are subsidised by the drug companys and are encouraged not to try things that does not include the use of their products. i know a guy who all most cut his leg off at the knee while skiing in austria, the infection made his leg swell to 4 times it' normal size and antibiotics were not helping, they used maggot therapy and in 3 weeks they had ate all the dead and infected tissue, it saved his leg. look into it dude and best of luck. when you get back on the bike , us monkey's from louisiana will come to dallas and do a ride and through a party for ya.
Hehe somehow "maggot therapy" doesnt sound too appealing. What about beer therapy?

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Originally posted by stinky six
Yeah, my girlfriend said that was used for almost all topical infections in Africa...mostly because antibiotics are far too expensive. But also because she said it works everytime. It's kinda disgusting, but who cares, as long as you don't lose an appendage!

There was a scene in Gladiator where they showed this method being used.

The question is...how do you know when to take them off?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Actually I saw a Discovery show about the maggots and it looked like it really worked. A registered nurse puts baby maggots in the wound and covers it with a bandage. Then every so often to flush the wound and to replace them with new babys. They interesting thing is that they ONLY eat dead flesh. They cannot and will not eat live tissue. On the show they showed an older man with diabities who had a nasty foot, much worse than yours and within a few days the wound was so clean and beginning to heal.

I have to agree, maggots would be my choice. Plus they are grown in a sterile environment free of disease. I am pretty sure they don't get them out of road kill.

Joel, I was at the race recovering from an injury to a previously broken wrist. I wrecked on the Expert course on Friday so I drove the white Bronco shuttle. I was wondering about your shoes as well. I ride with flat pedals and Vans and thought about the same thing happening to me. I used to ride MX and the tough boots are feet savers, but do you know of any options?

northshorerat

Monkey
Oct 7, 2001
yeah the flys are completely strile as is the same with the maggots. it is suppost to be the most effective evasive form of treatment for an infection. dont know if it would be covered my insurance though you might want to really check it out it would really speed your recovery.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
damn, that looks awful. :( hope it heals up ok for you.

i do haev one comment about shoes and drops. it's true that a stiffer sole probably would have helped prevent your injury, but it's been my friend's experience that using SPDs for drops can lead to other problems, because you can't move your foot on the pedal at all. he broke two metatarsals on a drop (his shoe flew off!), and i saw a guy @ the moab freeride fest also break his foot while landing a big drop to flat clipped in.

i like using flats for drops, because your foot has more wiggle room and a larger platform to distribute the force.