Quantcast

crate training

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
i'm gonna be moving into an upstairs apartment in two weeks and i think i may have to crate train my dog. he's a 2 year old lab...i have more than the two weeks(long story) to do the training. has anyone had experience with this, especially with a slightly older hyper dog, any books that you suggest or anything at all.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
First off, get a big enough crate :) My 70 pound lab fits fine in a large vari-kennel, and he's a field lab so he's got long legs.

I've never crate trained an older dog, but I have done it with puppies, so I have a few ideas...

Once you have a crate for him, make sure you put a blanket in the bottom, and then take him out for a long walk or run to tire him out a little. Get back home, and then put his food bowl in the crate with the door open. Feed him like that for a few days, let him go in and out, don't shut the door, and make sure that it's always a positive experience for him. Put a favorite toy in there, or put some peanut butter in a kong and drop it in there. Then start out by taking him for a walk and putting him in the crate for a nap for a couple of hours. Don't let him out if he whines. Calmly tell him to be quiet if he does. When it's time to let him out, make sure he's quiet, open the gate, praise the hell out of him and give him a treat.

I'd also be close to the crate, don't just put him in there and disappear for a couple of hours the first time. Do that 2 or 3 times, then start crating him in your bedroom at night.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Both of mine are crate trained. I wouldnt have it any other way.they love their boxes and never really have to be told to go...when I get up to go to bed and cut the the light off they both just go...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Crate training will suck for a 2yr old dog if you ask me. Is he not house trained at all? I initially used the crate to potty train my dog as a pup, but since he got that down, he has the run of the house and I just let him or take him out to do his business. You can potty train a dog without the crate. Do you have to lock him up for some reason?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i used to live under a girl that was crate training her older lab pup. not fun. it whined a lot. a whole lot. from what i gather, the pup went from living in a backyard, to living in an apartment, and staying in a crate.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
i used to live under a girl that was crate training her older lab pup. not fun. it whined a lot. a whole lot. from what i gather, the pup went from living in a backyard, to living in an apartment, and staying in a crate.
my dog is inside about 70% of the time and then out in the back yard the rest of the time...yeah this is gonna be hard getting him trained...i may have to skip class tomorrow and go get a crate and start it right now

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I totally thought you were going to train your dog haul crates of stuff when you moved. I guess i should read instead of skim.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
my dog is inside about 70% of the time and then out in the back yard the rest of the time...
Why bother with the crate?

If he already knows not to take a sh!t in the house, what are you worried about?

Has he been left alone in the apt/house before for an extended period of time without any problems?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side

If he already knows not to take a sh!t in the house, what are you worried about?

Has he been left alone in the apt/house before for an extended period of time without any problems?
maybe the dog has been known to eat furniture and flooring when left alone for extended periods of time?

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas

it's more that i'm afraid that he will be getting hyper moments and running all over the apartment when i'm not there and pissing off the person below me

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
it's more that i'm afraid that he will be getting hyper moments and running all over the apartment when i'm not there and pissing off the person below me
Walk the dog and that wont happen. And i dont mean 10 minutes up the street. More like 45. That's the responsibility of owning a dog if you live in an apt. TWICE a day.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i wouldn't worry about it.. like everyone else said.. the dogs love the crate.. just be consistent at first... and put him/her in for 10 minutes.. then let him/her out.. then for 30 min, leave the house etc. they will learn to love it. my dog goes in it whenever she is tired, and i was against the whole idea at first

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
the crates look a tad small for those dogs:disgust:
Nope...they fit just fine...just caught this pic after a ride one day and they were both tanked out....usually they are tucked back in the corner so far you can't even see them in the box.

Ya know what's funny? When I switch the boxes on em when they are outside...they come in and it usually takes em a second to figure out what happened.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
Nope...they fit just fine...just caught this pic after a ride one day and they were both tanked out....usually they are tucked back in the corner so far you can't even see them in the box.

Ya know what's funny? When I switch the boxes on em when they are outside...they come in and it usually takes em a second to figure out what happened.
got you.........it must be a wierd angle