Quantcast

creaking front end

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
ive been getting a creaking noise when i apply the front break. i thought it might have been my headset so i just installed a pig and its still creaking. could it be my fork? any ideas on things to check? thanks.

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
Make sure the headset bearing are greased properly. While reassembling that, lightly grease the inside of the spacers and handlebar stem. if you are rambunctious, lube the bar to stem area too. Tighten that up but leave the stem bolts a little loose. Tighten starfangled bolt (top cap) then tighten stem bolts. Check brake mount hardware for sloppiness and lube up in v-brakes. If still creaking. Check fork out or have lbs rebuild it. There may be play in the slider bushings.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
let's hope it's not an ovalized headtube.

pull the fork off and if you can pull either of the headset cups out of the headtube with your fingers...it's more than likely you have an expensive ovalized headtube of a frame

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
its the fork! certainly not a headtube as i checked that when i took the old one out. its where the fork leg attaches to the crown. when i ride forward with my hard around the leg/crown joint and apply the break sure enough THAT is where the creaking is comming from. goddamn cryofit. i think this happened when my bike got hit by a car. thankfully im scoring a DJ1 outta the deal. do you guys think it would be ok for more riding?

myke

Chimp
Nov 16, 2001
MA
yup, one guy I know got a dj-2 from zoke after the same thing happened, seriously evil creaking noise. Man was it loud...

perrowtodd

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
wellinton Australia
I have had the same problem for over a year now and recently discovered that if the top cap/preload adjustment in the top of the forks is lose then it produces the sound so i tightened it and presto it has dissapeared.