Quantcast

Creaky Howitzer

Mugger

Monkey
Dec 16, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Sorry could be an issue already discussed but having an issue with a Truvativ Howitzer BB.

This could be a stupid question too, but i am no where near mechanically able.

About 2 weeks ago, went for a ride with a mate at some trails with a 2-3 month old STP with the Howitzer BB. The conditions were muddy and it rained quite heavily during the ride.

2 weeks later (aka today), whenever pedalling whilst standing up the cranks creak quite loudly.

Now i'm wondering, would it be just be mud that I missed whilst cleaning the bike or something else?

Cheers,
Mugger

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
probably need to pull the cranks, and maybe the bb, and grease it. How'd you wash it? Power washer, hose? That will also make a huge difference.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
you do realize that cranks need to be re-tighntened every once and awhile right? (and grease as said above). Not doing so causes one to curse as they buy new cranks and/or BB to replace the worn mistreated ones.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
zedro said:
yeah, who needs a puller or a mallet when you have a sad dissapointed face to strip those arms straight off!

Hell yeah, just means easy trail repair now!!! But really, i need to replace them before they break, they have seen quite the abusive life!!! guess that is what happens when using Raceface prodigy's for DH!! Oh yeah they are on there third BB!!

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I had (and still have) a problem with creakiness when I pedal. It could be anything in that area, pedals, the bolts connecting the cranks to the bashguard, chain, or bb.

If it's really your bb then re-lube it like everyone said, or replace it if it's shot. I rode for a few consecutive days in mud and the bb completely seized.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
Mugger said:
2 weeks later (aka today), whenever pedalling whilst standing up the cranks creak quite loudly.

Now i'm wondering, would it be just be mud that I missed whilst cleaning the bike or something else?

Cheers,
Mugger
You're not the only one with a problem with those cranks. I know several people with the new howitzer BB that have creaky cranks including myself. I have done everything there is to do to eliminate the creak. Pulled and regreased the bb and spindle, added teflon tape, everything short of sticking on loc-tite. I actually had Sram send me new cranks(they didn't have a bb to send) and they stayed tight until my second ride. At this point its clear the issue is with the bb. Either the taper isn't enough(I believe Isis is supposed to have a one degree taper) Or the spindle isn't long enough. I'm hoping they fix the issue soon, because the creaking is pretty annoying. I'm going to pull my cranks off when I have a moment and put more teflon tape on and add some red loc-tite to the spindle. That might work for a while. Any one from Sram care to comment?

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
my howitzer was doing the same thing after 2 days of riding. I pulled it out, cleaned it and applied a ****load of anti sieze to the threads and the sound is better but it still sounds like ****.

bikerjohn

Chimp
Aug 12, 2004
Geneva Ohio
One thing with ISIS I know is when you first install the crank arms, you need to tighten the crap out of them, and make the arm bottom out on the BB spindle, then loosen the bolt and retighten to spec.
If you don't the arm will slowly loosen itself and make noise in the process, then you have to retighten all the time, then they wear out.

I wore out a set of Hussefelts like that, my Holzfellers I got later, never got loose, bottomed them out loosened the bolt then retightened, I also added a little lock tight to the crank arm bolts, never came loose.

The Howitzer is probably the same, they are the same as ISIS, they just have wider splines on the spindle.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My Howitzer's on my Demo 8 decided to greet me with that sound this weekend. And they were nice enough to do it whilst on a long, slow grinding climb up a dirt road...it actually sounds like cracked metal as opposed to just a creak. I'll take them off and grease them I guess.
This is the first set of cranks & BB I've had creak since back in the day of race face cranks on square taper BB's.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
UPDATE: I received a new set of cranks from SRAM about a month ago and was very meticulous about how I installed them. I was happy to say that for a number of rides I had a great set up. Every bolt stayed tight, no noises or creaking whatsoever. This lasted until a session at the dirt jumps where I came up a bit short and tagged a bit hard, and the cranks made a creaking noise on impact.

In a few weeks the creak developed and is back with this new set of cranks. Pulling the cranks and regreasing them helps, but the noise returns.

If I was flat spotting rims, and being exceptionally abusive on my equipment I wouldn't be complaining so much. The bottom line for me is that when I run cromoly cranks or my Saint cranks I haven't had this issue. I've come to the conclusion that Truvativ DH cranks are just that. DH cranks. I don't think they are up to handling the stresses and abuse of regular dirt jumping.

At this point I'm back on Saint cranks.