Quantcast

creepy bug thread

ryebread

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Central Oregon
Been done? if not whadda you got?

Bot fly
The Human Bot Fly lays its eggs on a horsefly or a mosquito, something that will attempt to land on a human. This carrier finds a human and lands on him or her. The eggs rub off onto the human, whose body heat hatches the eggs. The larvae drop onto the skin and burrow right in. Where they live. Under your skin. Eating.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Giant water beetle - mean as hell

Bathynomus Giganteus - just a giant isopod. Supposedly they taste pretty good.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia

The tongue-eating isopod [Cymothoa exigua] causes degeneration of the tongue [through siphoning and consuming the arterial blood supply] of its host fish, the rose snapper, Lutjanus guttatus, and it then attaches to the remaining tongue stub and floor of the fish’s mouth by hook-like pereopods. In this position the isopod superficially resembles its host’s missing tongue. Brusca & Gilligan (1983) hypothesize that these isopods serve as a mechanical replacement for the fish’s tongue and represent the first known case in animals of functional replacement of a host structure by a parasite. This relationship is so-far known only from the Gulf of California.

If you go swimming in Cali, kep your mouth shut and don't drink the water...

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
Goliath Tarantula. As big as a dinner plate.

Australian Bulldog Ant:

Driver Ants. Step on their column and they attack. 10 bites can paralyze a limb. The make stridulations as they march. Their jaws are so strong that the Masai use them for sutures...

Brazilian Wandering Spider:

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

The tongue-eating isopod [Cymothoa exigua] causes degeneration of the tongue [through siphoning and consuming the arterial blood supply] of its host fish, the rose snapper, Lutjanus guttatus, and it then attaches to the remaining tongue stub and floor of the fish’s mouth by hook-like pereopods. In this position the isopod superficially resembles its host’s missing tongue. Brusca & Gilligan (1983) hypothesize that these isopods serve as a mechanical replacement for the fish’s tongue and represent the first known case in animals of functional replacement of a host structure by a parasite. This relationship is so-far known only from the Gulf of California.

If you go swimming in Cali, kep your mouth shut and don't drink the water...

That is awesome.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA

"The female Sacculina larva finds a crab and walks on it until it finds a joint. It then molts, injecting its soft body into the crab while its shell falls off. The Sacculina grows in the crab, emerging as a sac, known as an externa, on the underside of the crab's rear thorax, where the crab's eggs would be incubated.

When a female Sacculina is implanted in a male crab it will interfere with the crab's hormonal balance. This sterilizes it and changes the bodily layout of the crab to resemble that of a female crab by widening and flattening its abdomen, among other things. The female Sacculina has even been known to cause the male crabs to perform mating gestures typical of female crabs.

After this invasion of the Sacculina, the crab is now unable to perform the normal function of molting. This would result in a loss of nutrition of the Sacculina and impair its overall growth. The natural ability of regrowing a severed claw that is commonly used for defense purposes is lost after the infestation of Sacculina. Although all energy is directed the Sacculina, the crab develops a nurturing behavior typical of a female crab. The natural hatching process of a crab consists of the female finding a high rock and grooming its brood pouch on its abdomen and releasing the fertilized eggs in the the water through a bobbing motion. The female crab stirs the water with her claw to aid the flow of the water. When the hatching parasite eggs of the Sacculina are ready to emerge from the brood pouch of Sacculina, the crab performs a similar process. The crab shoots them out through pulses creating a large cloud of parasites. The crab then uses the familiar technique of stirring the water to aid in flow.[1]

The male Sacculina looks for a female Sacculina adult on the underside of a crab. He then enters and fertilizes her eggs. The crab (male or female) then cares for the eggs as if they were its own, having been rendered infertile by the parasite."

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Giant centipedes (video of one eating a mouse):

Man this thread is killing me. I'm literally feeling things crawling up my legs as I read it, but there's so many interesting insects out there, I can't help but look.......no matter how much it makes me want to live in a bubble the rest of my life.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
BAH! 2 seconds after I posted that, I just happened to see something out of the corner of my eye crawling on my shoulder. About a 3/4" long black beetle. GAAAAAAH!

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Man this thread is killing me. I'm literally feeling things crawling up my legs as I read it, but there's so many interesting insects out there, I can't help but look.......no matter how much it makes me want to live in a bubble the rest of my life.
Dude, I thought Acid had all but disappeared.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
All these pics are from when I visited Guatemala at the end of last summer.

this guy was about the size of a baseball

not really creepy just cool.

this thing was super creepy and huge as well. probably about 4.5 inches long and about an inch wide