Quantcast

Crested Butte

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Heading out to the Butte again tomorrow from out here on the 'wrong' coast. Flying into Denver and shooting down tomorrow night. So we know of a bunch of rides that we need to do from previous trips, but is there anything that we need to hit? Obviously, I'd love to hear some of the locals spots, but don't expect to, and I respect that.

Here are some of the rides we'll be hitting each day....

*edit:401/403/Snodgrass
Reno/Flagg/Bear/DeadMan/etc,...
Doctors Park
Some 50 mile DH I have only heard about

Might try to get into the backcountry a little or take a spin over to Aspen for a night.

So what else do we really need to hit?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
peter6061 said:
Heading out to the Butte again tomorrow from out here on the 'wrong' coast. Flying into Denver and shooting down tomorrow night. So we know of a bunch of rides that we need to do from previous trips, but is there anything that we need to hit? Obviously, I'd love to hear some of the locals spots, but don't expect to, and I respect that.

Here are some of the rides we'll be hitting each day....

410/403/Snodgrass
Reno/Flagg/Bear/DeadMan/etc,...
Doctors Park
Some 50 mile DH I have only heard about

Might try to get into the backcountry a little or take a spin over to Aspen for a night.

So what else do we really need to hit?
Teocalli Ridge/Farris Creek/Strand Hill
Deer Creek
Dyke Trail
Donita's

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Thanks, man.

I don't remember the Dyke trail by trail, but remember the name. I'll have to check on that one.

Is Teocali in any better shape than it's been in previous years? When we hit it last time, the climb was great, but the DH was torn up. Now, I didn't mind, but we ended up waiting for a couple buds for about 20 minutes before we even saw them come out from the trees while we were on the road below. (we all started descending together.)

I'll look into Deer Creek and Donita's.

My lungs are always much bigger from over here on the east coast. We'll see how they feel once I'm above 9000. Can't wait. Kind of like your eyes being bigger than your stomach.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Pau11y said:
SS, what's this about a 50 mile DH run? Can it be shuttled or is it a mandatory ride all the way thing? And, is it big bike friendly/required?
I'm the one who spouted off about the 50 mile DH. We have not done it yet, but my buddy has been talking about it for a while. We're talking shuttle. I can give more details once we get back.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
peter6061 said:
I'm the one who spouted off about the 50 mile DH. We have not done it yet, but my buddy has been talking about it for a while. We're talking shuttle. I can give more details once we get back.
Yeah, please do.
I can tell you about a couple, one here (Steamboat Springs) - 7.5 mi w/ SUPER tech in the last 2-3 mi, and another in Salida (part of Monarch Crest) - 8 or so miles at med speeds and med tech.

Edit: I still want to go do that one in Moab...20+ mi DH that starts in the La Sals and hooks up w/ Porcupine...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Yeah, I haven't been putting a lot of stock in this 50 mile DH notion, but he has been there a dozen or so times since the late 80's, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

We're also talking about hitting up a ~50 mile loop connecting a bunch of trails, but I doubt that will happen.

I have also heard about the LaSal closure, so that's not really an option. If we make it down to Moab for a day or so, I figure the guys will be good with a climb up from the campsite on the Colorado river to slickrock trail, followed by the remainder of the climb to the top of Porc. Rim, and then Porc. Rim. I can always hit that trail up. I'll still be asking someone in town about the LaSal Dh anyway.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
peter6061 said:
Yeah, I haven't been putting a lot of stock in this 50 mile DH notion, but he has been there a dozen or so times since the late 80's, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

We're also talking about hitting up a ~50 mile loop connecting a bunch of trails, but I doubt that will happen.
We did this last summer. 48 miles of good times. :thumb:
http://home.comcast.net/~elan_mbx/Butte04/

Lux Interior

Monkey
Jun 18, 2005
We fell for the 50 mile dh legend one time, by the time the dh really started cookin' we were coming down in the dark. It's the Pacific Crest trail down the Monarch pass between Gunny and Salida. We did have some mechanicals that slowed us down. Yeah we shuttled, and that was in the days of canti brakes and toe clips so a big rig is definately not mandatory you still pedal.My favorite is 401. The Dyke is fun especially as a shuttle It's up by Irwin. I'll give you info, I don't live there anymore.Ha ha! BTW Donita's is a Mexican Restruant not a trail.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Lux Interior said:
We fell for the 50 mile dh legend one time, by the time the dh really started cookin' we were coming down in the dark. It's the Pacific Crest trail down the Monarch pass between Gunny and Salida.
Yeah. If someone is passing Monarch Crest off as a 50-mile DH, they're officially filled to the brim with horse$hit.

That's a XC trail. And nowhere near 50 miles.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Definitely look into 401 -- awesome trail (at least, what I remember of it). You'll need a shuttle, unless you feel like riding back up to your car, though, so that might change things a bit...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Bldr_Freerider said:
Definitely look into 401 -- awesome trail (at least, what I remember of it). You'll need a shuttle, unless you feel like riding back up to your car, though, so that might change things a bit...
Park at Gothic and ride the FS road up when you're fresh. The 401 down is not particularly challenging from a climbing perspective, so climbing at the beginning rather than the end is recommended.

Even better is to park in town, ride up to 403, then over to the Gothic road, then up to 401. :thumb:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Well, we're back, and the riding was awesome. (though that may be argued about later on here.)

Took a bunch of photos, and will post some when I get some time (trying to catch up on work)

Sunday: Reno, Flag, Bear, (addon), Dead Man -so much for trying to aclimate the first day.
Monday: Deer Park
Tuesday: Doctor's Park -I love this ride and have since we first rode it a few years ago.
Wednesday: Cement Creek rd to Crystal Peak pass / Double Top / 409 / Farris Creek
Thursday: 401
Friday: Monarch Crest -shuttle
Saturday: Reno, Grassy a few times

As for the 50 mile DH, it was Monarch Crest. Though not 50, not even 40. All said and done the ride was more like ~32. And that involved some nice climbing off the start. We shuttled it and had to bail before the rainbow trail as a T-storm came in and soaked our crew in bitter cold rain. I'd do it again though. With 3500 feet of climbing and 7500 feet of descent, the ride was great.

Next time we're looking at linking up Reno, Flag, Bear, Deadman with Doctor's park for a nice LONG ride. Now to complete this season, and try to stay in shape over the winter for next summer.

You locals have some sweet trails. I'll be back next summer.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
peter6061 said:
Well, we're back, and the riding was awesome. (though that may be argued about later on here.)

Took a bunch of photos, and will post some when I get some time (trying to catch up on work)

Sunday: Reno, Flag, Bear, (addon), Dead Man -so much for trying to aclimate the first day.
Monday: Deer Park
Tuesday: Doctor's Park -I love this ride and have since we first rode it a few years ago.
Wednesday: Cement Creek rd to Crystal Peak pass / Double Top / 409 / Farris Creek
Thursday: 401
Friday: Monarch Crest -shuttle
Saturday: Reno, Grassy a few times

As for the 50 mile DH, it was Monarch Crest. Though not 50, not even 40. All said and done the ride was more like ~32. And that involved some nice climbing off the start. We shuttled it and had to bail before the rainbow trail as a T-storm came in and soaked our crew in bitter cold rain. I'd do it again though. With 3500 feet of climbing and 7500 feet of descent, the ride was great.

Next time we're looking at linking up Reno, Flag, Bear, Deadman with Doctor's park for a nice LONG ride. Now to complete this season, and try to stay in shape over the winter for next summer.

You locals have some sweet trails. I'll be back next summer.
Nice itinerary! I wish I could get to the Butte this year......... :think:

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Pau11y said:
Yeah, please do.
I can tell you about a couple, one here (Steamboat Springs) - 7.5 mi w/ SUPER tech in the last 2-3 mi, and another in Salida (part of Monarch Crest) - 8 or so miles at med speeds and med tech.

Edit: I still want to go do that one in Moab...20+ mi DH that starts in the La Sals and hooks up w/ Porcupine...
LPS/UPS to Procupine Rim.

Illegal, but a ball.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
peter6061 said:
As for the 50 mile DH, it was Monarch Crest. Though not 50, not even 40. All said and done the ride was more like ~32. And that involved some nice climbing off the start.

Haa haa haa.... Monarch crest's largest downhill is on the pavement of 285. That thing is more like 4 total miles of DH.... Unless you do the agate creek portion.

The longer DH in the area would be 2 Elks coming off of commando run near Vail. That thing is almost too tight to enjoy (is that wrong?).

A

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Motionboy2 said:
Mmmm salsa, soppapias (sp?) Mmmmmmmmm....... :)
Donita's... hmmmm.... locals hate it (I don't mind it).

Also, try Slogar. It is off the beaten path, and has the best home-cooked chicken in colorado. Make reservations.