Quantcast

Crippled wit brakes

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
My left arm is still a bit gimpy. I can ride but using the left for braking is spotty at best, which does a good job of keeping me from speeding on my single speed. Though, a ride around the hood tonight got me thinking about how I'd design a right-side dual brake lever rig, if I ever wanted something more powerful than what I'm currently doing. Right now, I'm rolling cable discs that came stock on my Kona Unit; fine, but nothing fancy. I started working through some ideas, then decided to crowd source a few more. I'll probably not execute and fabricate this, but I'm interested in problem solving.

Here are my rough ideas and factors of consideration so far:

1- Cable vs. hydrolic.
2- One-finger leverage.
3- Over/under orientation/alignment. This is the trickiest issue I see. I see a few ways to skin this cat.

A- two parallel levers of the same length. A bit like this:

B- two levers of differing lengths. A bit like this:

I think B is the way to go, as you could use the index finger to pull both at the same time, or split the index finger on the top (probably also touching the longer bottom one) and the middle finger could solely pull the lower lever.

This begs the question, which lever modulates which wheel? Top/rear & bottom/front? Vice versa? Why?

How would you go about this?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
short throw on top, rear-that'll be the one you use most. longer throw below, front, secondary.

you must wear a cape when using this system. residence in south carolina is optional.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
short throw on top, rear-that'll be the one you use most. longer throw below, front, secondary.

you must wear a cape when using this system. residence in south carolina is optional.
But, don't you get some overlap from top to bottom, meaning you'd always get front and rear action. Would you want to do rear only sometimes? If so, how would that work in your rig?

I'd also assume you'd want to have the throw for each lever adjustable along with the ability to control when it starts to grab.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Sachs used to make a doulble barrel ferrule thingy and a dongle to pull the same cable to activate the front and rear brake from a single lever. I believe they were made for Rock Shox if I recall. That would work fine with a Avid Mechanical brake.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Sachs used to make a doulble barrel ferrule thingy and a dongle to pull the same cable to activate the front and rear brake from a single lever. I believe they were made for Rock Shox if I recall. That would work fine with a Avid Mechanical brake.
I saw those while googling. Seems a tad crude, though functional. Limits your ability to independently modulate front and rear wheels.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How about one hydraulic system, so you still get the lever on the left and if you squeeze hard enough you get some assist from the right lever. I'm sure its possible, somehow.

Or get a coaster brake and do skids everywhere like a kid. :D

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
How about one hydraulic system, so you still get the lever on the left and if you squeeze hard enough you get some assist from the right lever. I'm sure its possible, somehow.
I swear there was something like this in one of the recent interbike-type threads, and I think it was aimed at beginners...
Of course being teh RM we made fun of it and and then I promptly forgot all identifying information.:bonk:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

Or get a coaster brake and do skids everywhere like a kid. :D
Not the best system for my needs. My muscle spasms kick in and lock my grip. The releasing of the lever is part of the issue, and probably harder than pulling.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I have zero personal experience to contribute, but i did some research on a German forum, where one guy had exactly the same problem as you. He experimented with single lever systems like these
http://www.magura.com/en/controls/product-overview/hydraulic.html
http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_products/01_prodetail.php?pid=129&sortname=Recreation&sort=2&fid=5
but found them impossible to modulate, even with significantly different rotor sizes front and rear.

He ended up with this and seems pretty happy with it:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
If it was me, I'd ideally want front brake index finger, rear middle finger. Index finger is less likely to grab too much, so makes sense for front IMO. Also, matches with what you're already used to side-wise.
:stupid:

BMW used a system much like this on some of it's motorcycles for a while. Pulling the front brake lever activated both the front and rear brakes, where as using the rear brake pedal activated the rear brake only. It's super unpopular. Not really sure why, but I've never ridden a BMW with the the system installed. I don't believe they use it any more. I'm guessing such a thing on a bicycle might be cost prohibitive/impractical.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
:stupid:

BMW used a system much like this on some of it's motorcycles for a while. Pulling the front brake lever activated both the front and rear brakes, where as using the rear brake pedal activated the rear brake only. It's super unpopular. Not really sure why, but I've never ridden a BMW with the the system installed. I don't believe they use it any more. I'm guessing such a thing on a bicycle might be cost prohibitive/impractical.
Honda had a similar system on their sport tourers. Lever operated 2 of 3 pistons on the front calipers, 1 of 3 on the rear caliper. Foot pedal operated 2 of 3 pistons on the rear caliper and 1 of 3 on the fronts. Purists hated it, I had it on my VFR800 and thought it worked great. Not ideal if you were a knee dragging racer boy wannabe, but great for real world riding. It got thrown into the bin when ABS was offered.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I have zero personal experience to contribute, but i did some research on a German forum, where one guy had exactly the same problem as you. He experimented with single lever systems like these
http://www.magura.com/en/controls/product-overview/hydraulic.html
http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_products/01_prodetail.php?pid=129&sortname=Recreation&sort=2&fid=5
but found them impossible to modulate, even with significantly different rotor sizes front and rear.

He ended up with this and seems pretty happy with it:
Interesting. It looks like what I envisioned, but in a less elegant format. It seems that there could be a way to better align the levers with a more compact housing containing both brakes. Thst would take lots of cash and a custom build.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I wonder if there would be a way to make a front trigger shifter work like a brake lever. I know they rig them up for use on dropper posts. That way you could pull in the brake lever and push the shifter at them same time to use both brakes.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
There's a guy who rides on Cypress with a prosthetic arm. He's got both brakes (hydros) on one side of his bars. I can't seem to find the article about that was on pinkbike a while back....

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I wonder if there would be a way to make a front trigger shifter work like a brake lever. I know they rig them up for use on dropper posts. That way you could pull in the brake lever and push the shifter at them same time to use both brakes.
This is almost brilliant. Cable or hydraulic.
How much fluid does a RS reverb remote displace? I wonder if it could run a caliper safely.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
There's a guy who rides on Cypress with a prosthetic arm. He's got both brakes (hydros) on one side of his bars. I can't seem to find the article about that was on pinkbike a while back....
I know about that guy. I was trying to find some of the info on him and peep his rig.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
No, I kept finding that link too...

They guy on cypress has a prosthetic arm, with a clip mechanism to hold his "hand" to the bar. And he's older.

There was an article online somewhere which showed the arm/bike interface, as well as the rest of the controls setup. Still can't find it.

My google-fu is weak.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They make thumb brake kits for motorcycle. The standard lever is for the clutch, but I don't see why they couldn't be connected to brakes

http://www.sportsbike.com.au/beringer_thumb_brake.html

Here is one with a separate bar mount

http://www.hardracing.com/GP Tech/Thumbrake.htm

Cannot seem to find any for the right side.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
No, I kept finding that link too...

They guy on cypress has a prosthetic arm, with a clip mechanism to hold his "hand" to the bar. And he's older.

There was an article online somewhere which showed the arm/bike interface, as well as the rest of the controls setup. Still can't find it.

My google-fu is weak.
Prrtty sure it was on NSMB.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
@mandown : do you have the strength in your left hand to use your left thumb for front braking?
Maybe. Part of the issue is the amount of mental effort and concentration it takes to control the left side. It isn't reflexive second-nature movement. If I got into some poop, the left flipper isn't a reliable resource.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
This is almost brilliant. Cable or hydraulic.
How much fluid does a RS reverb remote displace? I wonder if it could run a caliper safely.
I have the reverb remote on my bike, and I don't think it would be ideal. It is actually hard to press at times, and it would be tough to modulate as well as it is either on or off. The guys I know that are doing this with droppers are running a thumb shifter on cable actuated dropper posts. I would think doing the same thing with a cable disc brake should work well.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
^^ gotcha.

This is the southpaw lever from KS. I wonder if the throw is long enough to utilize a cable actuated disc.
(and again if mandown's left hand isn't firing on all cylinders, it could be a moot point)

Rep tastic.
Except my rep machine is out for repair.
covered.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
^^ gotcha.

This is the southpaw lever from KS. I wonder if the throw is long enough to utilize a cable actuated disc.
(and again if mandown's left hand isn't firing on all cylinders, it could be a moot point)

I don't know why he couldn't thumb brake with the right hand as well as use the index finger for regular braking. Could probably even use a regular lever mounted a little farther inboard and rotated backwards.