Quantcast

Crippled wit brakes

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I assumed he would still be using a rear shifter. that's a lot of right hand activity (nttawwt)
It's interesting to see the solutions that already exist. Most seem hydraulic. I wonder if we could cable actuate some of this. Maybe even get @kazlx to fabricate ;)
Give us more info on your bike setup now, and how'd you would like it to be.

I don't know why he couldn't thumb brake with the right hand as well as use the index finger for regular braking. Could probably even use a regular lever mounted a little farther inboard and rotated backwards.
I assumed he would still be using a rear shifter. that's a lot of right hand activity (nttawwt)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's interesting to see the solutions that already exist. Most seem hydraulic. I wonder if we could cable actuate some of this. Maybe even get @kazlx to fabricate ;)
You no google?

http://www.motosport.com/terry-cable-thumb-throttles

ATVs use cable actuated thumb levers. This is cheap enough to test the idea. No idea about bar diameter compatability.

http://www.motocrossgiant.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=609-2230wps&click=989&gclid=CjwKEAiAgKu2BRDu1OGw3-KXokwSJAB_Yy2QCV3-4zkbkXvuu37qOL0U3pmfh_-OlwZ1HXF_k5AohhoCdD_w_wcB

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

Give us more info on your bike setup now, and how'd you would like it to be.

Rigid single speed 29 is how I roll. Bone stock Kona Unit.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Open to help out, but would probably be way easier to modify something existing rather than make new. First step is decide what type of setup would work for you.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
it just dawned on me that some of the new cyclocross hydraulic discs are cable actuated. I'd imagine their similar to the original rockshox cable.hydro calipers. Maybe misuse one of those, with a trigger style device for le thumb?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Open to help out, but would probably be way easier to modify something existing rather than make new. First step is decide what type of setup would work for you.

I think a device that is controlled by butt clenching would be right up his alley.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
[QUOTE="Da Peach]a prosthetic arm, with a clip mechanism to hold his "hand" to the bar. And he's older....he goes by the name of Man W/ One Hand on mtbr - http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=233972
two diff guys...one on n'shore, other here in nc, as noted above.

I wonder if the nsmb guy upgrades the shock on his prosthetic? Is he rocking an x2 or a ccdba now?

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Seems like it would be possible to design and fabricate a cam mechanism (for cable disc) that would allow you to actuate both brakes with one lever and vary the amount of force between the two. So basically you could adjust the cam to change the amount of force applied to each brake. Of course modulation wouldn't be independently controllable.

If any of you have their shit together enough when riding to independently modulate front and rear brakes when riding, my hat's off to you. I run a larger rotor in front than in back to roughly balance things out when the same force is applied to both levers.

If I were chasing this I'd go for a single lever solution.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If any of you have their shit together enough when riding to independently modulate front and rear brakes when riding, my hat's off to you. I run a larger rotor in front than in back to roughly balance things out when the same force is applied to both levers.

If I were chasing this I'd go for a single lever solution.
Really, even with a motorbike background? I definitely modulate front and rear brakes independently.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Seems like it would be possible to design and fabricate a cam mechanism (for cable disc) that would allow you to actuate both brakes with one lever and vary the amount of force between the two. So basically you could adjust the cam to change the amount of force applied to each brake. Of course modulation wouldn't be independently controllable.
The lack of independent modulation is what worries me about that kind of setup. I've never studied my old habits that hard, but my gut says I don't always uniformly apply pressure. There were situations where I'd favor my front over my rear and vice versa. I'm also not planning on riding the same gnar I did before. It still seems there's an elegant way to have one sided control with independent modulation and the thumb seems like a good answer.