Quantcast

Cromo fab bike

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
Well the research and development is just about done just fine tuning the rear shock then we are done.
This bike was a first by a friend of mine and he has done a awesome job on it.
It rides on a 50 mx full custom rear shock by ishock and has a 10.25 x 3.0 the eye bolts are burly as hell and are unbreak (knocking on wood).

Attachments

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
So far the bike is called Bigfoot but I think it should be called Your Mama.
Later I will have more pics the pivot bolt is super burly with big ass bearing no bearing play for this bike.
Hopefully will have the weight sometime this month just need to get down to the bike shop. My guest is that it will weigh under 60 lbs.

Feb 13, 2006
looks pretty spindly and underbuilt, if you know what I mean. what's up with that purely XC fork you're running? surely you can get that sled up to 75 lbs if you try a bit harder. maybe a granite seat?

Midget

Chimp
Aug 3, 2003
take a left at the tree
Just out of curiosity, why the choice of a 50 mx shock and not just a burlier mountain bike shock? Is it because it's nearly unbreakable, or is there another reason ? I would think that there would be a huge weight difference, but I could be wrong. I've been working on my own design in CAD and am building it around an avy, but a mx shock seems like an interesting idea.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
One of the better looking homemade's Ive seen. Lose the monster T and you'll be good to go.

PS- Definately change the name. Risse already made a fork called the bigfoot.

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
The reason for the 50 mx shock is that bolts and bushings are stronger. As for weight there is not that much difference between a mx 50 shock and a DH shock.
The bike is a Large and built for a friend that dosen't have one right now. The next two will be mediums.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
zedro said:
since when are M8 12.9 Grade bolts inside a half inch steel pin not strong enough :confused:

besides, almost half the aftermarket shocks out there are also used for 50s anyways
Dude it's MOTO technology. It's obviously better.

Just like all the great outfit designs we borrowed from moto. Flourescent colors rule..........because it's MOTO man!!!!!

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
kidwoo said:
Dude it's MOTO technology. It's obviously better.

Just like all the great outfit designs we borrowed from moto. Flourescent colors rule..........because it's MOTO man!!!!!
it's true. DH technology is obviously not suited for DH applications.

Know where i can buy number plate side fairings?

monke880

Chimp
Dec 11, 2005
Ojai, SoCal
I think he did a good job, but the concept is weird. I agree that the moto shock is overkill unless you weigh as much as a dirtbike and a regular person combined, and have the power output of a 50.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Sonic Reducer said:
did he have the frame heat treated after welding? because if not it might as well be made of mild steel.
not really, annealed 4130 is still stronger than normalised 1020, and the 4130 is basically in the normalized state. The weld zone can give problems those if there are stresses.

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
Not sure what it weighs yet but it feels about the same or just a little more then a Santa Cruz super8. I am betting it weighs under 60lbs. Once the new shock come back we will weigh it.
This bike is Cromo 4130 and can be adapted to any shock.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Cool...

Seeing your using a 50cc shock, ever think of trying the Fox MXR air shock? It's 10.5" long and 2.9" stroke. It weighs 1.1lbs.