Quantcast

cromoly steel or alu?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Still looking for a cheap frame to put your components on?

If I were you, I'd try to find a nice used frame instead of a cheapo-crappy new frame.

Usually, steel is better because it will usually bend before it breaks (unlike aluminum)...but a properly engineered alu frame can be as solid as a cro-mo one.

Keep in mind that a crappy frame is a crappy frame...and that doesn't depend on the material.

:monkey:

R

rstrange1

Here is the Index for buying bikes.

Chromoly is for Winter

Aluminum is for Summer

Get Both.

Attachments

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
bought the steel one from bikenashbar today. i have since been told by sub6 that they are kona frames, which makes me more comfortable.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Originally posted by pat873401
bought the steel one from bikenashbar today. i have since been told by sub6 that they are kona frames, which makes me more comfortable.
Agreed! I hope you'll like it!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by rstrange1
Here is the Index for buying bikes.

Chromoly is for Winter

Aluminum is for Summer

Get Both.
I'd reverse those. Chromoly won't deal as well with all that moisture especially if you ride it on salted roads to get to the trail....

R

rstrange1

Originally posted by ohio

I'd reverse those. Chromoly won't deal as well with all that moisture especially if you ride it on salted roads to get to the trail....
Aluminum cracks in winter 100% of the time.
Aluminum is flexible and wicked to ride only in summer.

Attachments

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

You're joking, right?

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va

Wow. You'd think that with all the wonderful information that I read here on RM, I'd be getting smarter.

But somehow, I feel like I'm getting stupider.

I wonder why?

JohnMc

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
St. Louis, MO
/\ /\ /\ Heeheheheheh!

Some more dumbness to layer on top of the rest.

Cheap steel frames are worse than cheap aluminum ones, because are usually much heavier if for no other reason. Fabricating and welding aluminum is just a tad harder than welding up a cheap steel frame, so that limits the cost cutting to a certain degree.

High end steel is better than high end aluminum, though. At least when talking about hard tails. The properties and tubes can be tweaked into a higher state of tuned perfection than can aluminum, though the sophistication of high end aluminum is slowly climbing the same evolutionary ladder that steel has been climbing for 100+ years.

So basically - if going cheap get aluminum.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
ok
so steel in winter and aluminum in summer? i (will) have both, so it's not an issue on what to buy anymore, just when to ride it

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by pat873401
ok
so steel in winter and aluminum in summer? i (will) have both, so it's not an issue on what to buy anymore, just when to ride it
noononooooonooo.

I asked if he was joking because that was a ridiculous statement, not because I actually believed it.

Seasons and temps have close to ZERO effect on the properties of any metals used in building frames. The only reason NOT to ride a bike in the winter is that salt and water from the road can cause steel to rust pretty badly if you don't clean it off or if it gets inside the tubes. But a can of Frame Saver negates even that... so just ride whatever you like best.

"100% of the time".... heee hee

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

woooooooooooow i reallly can't believe that comment was made.............

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Those Nashbar frames are actually pretty cool.

Built one up for a girlfriend. Now I want it as a slalom/play bike.

They're somewhat heacy, but ride very nicely. Be prepared, however, to have the headtube and bottom bracket faced/chased/reamed. The rear hanger needs to be retapped as well...the Nashbar overpaint (we're guessing these used to be Konas or something) is really sloppy.

MD

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by indieboy

woooooooooooow i reallly can't believe that comment was made.............
HAAAHA

I actually laughed out loud when i read it!

hahaahahahahah

dw