Quantcast

Cross Drilled rotors?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How about stoptech street compound? Rockauto has a nice deal with those and the centric coated blanks. Looks like they do well over at Nasioc.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I would say pretty much any of the street compound pads (vs. OEM/Napa level) will be good. EBC, Stoptech, Hawk, etc. You are probably far better off with those than from any of the cheap manufacturers.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
You guys really make me laugh sometimes..... Buy this brake pad, it makes less dust, but this one grabs more..... Blah Blah Blah

If you wanting mad stopping power, are you really worried about brake dust?

Now lets talk theory and reality here.... In theory a brke pad with great grab and bite means better braking..

In reality for vehicles such as this, all you are going to do is ruin your modulation and make a touchy brake pedal..... I do not care how much grab it has... the ABS system is going to back off the maximum grab/bite when it stats locking the wheel........ With ANY brake pad you install, unless it is completely crap, you should have plenty of stopping power, if not you need to look at the hydraulic system...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You guys really make me laugh sometimes..... Buy this brake pad, it makes less dust, but this one grabs more..... Blah Blah Blah

If you wanting mad stopping power, are you really worried about brake dust?

Now lets talk theory and reality here.... In theory a brke pad with great grab and bite means better braking..

In reality for vehicles such as this, all you are going to do is ruin your modulation and make a touchy brake pedal..... I do not care how much grab it has... the ABS system is going to back off the maximum grab/bite when it stats locking the wheel........ With ANY brake pad you install, unless it is completely crap, you should have plenty of stopping power, if not you need to look at the hydraulic system...
well, my brakes feel "wooden" and my biggest complaint is their lack of grab or bite on initial application. I also, according to a mechanic who repaired my exhaust, NEED to do them. I may as well get quality brake pads over over crappy ones with low initial quality.

I know the topic of cross drilling and effect is brought up often, but very few people have first hand experience; most people "have heard" or read, and haven't actually used and found for themselves.

I can save about $90 by sticking with blanks, which is worth it right now as our ****ty maytag dishwasher just failed again. The stoptech pads are "higher performance" and also $20 cheaper than akebonos. I think I have AC delcos on there now, and they're rubbish.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Dirtymike, I only mentioned it with EBC because they have two very similar spec'd pads one makes heaps of dust, the other cost a few bucks more and supposedly makes less. I had black wheels so I went for the cheap ones.

I have no other input as I have never heard of any of those pads, I usually run what's cheap and not made in Brazil. I did find EBC's wouldn't work very wellon the first stop they do need some heat in them.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Hawks and EBC's have the the particular break in if you want them to work right..... generally you will scare the ever living hell out of yourself in the process.....

Delco's on an infiniti... Yeah that just does not mix.... Seriously go for the centric posi queit or the wagner perfect stops.... great product at decent prices....

Oh just a side nite with all this talk of ceramic vs semi met vs met....... Run what the rotor was designed to take. The hardness, surface RA, carbon count in the metal..... this will all make the difference in giving you the best performance for your brakes. Basically if the vehicle was OE ceramics, get standard rotors and ceramic pads... if Semi met.. get semi met..... That is the best you can do right there.

And Yes, the EBC's make a **** ton of brake dust

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just swap out your crap OE brakes for a real set of OE brakes. Putting these on my buddies C6 over the winter.

<edit> DirtyMike, these come with pads (padlets?) that match the rotor material perfectly.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Just swap out your crap OE brakes for a real set of OE brakes. Putting these on my buddies C6 over the winter.

<edit> DirtyMike, these come with pads (padlets?) that match the rotor material perfectly.
On a vehicle such as the one owned by the OP.... This is a serious reality of the situation statement... Brakes that have more grab or bite do no more good than the stock anyways..... You will never get more stopping power than the abs system will allow you to apply....

And yes, those are quite the matched set posted there