Quantcast

Cross racing!

Al-F

Chimp
Dec 15, 2007
Hope Mills, NC
I just started CX for the first time this fall here in NC. Two weekends ago I got on my 1st races here in NC at Cary and Raleigh. I missed Boone because of my son's Birthday...This weekendI'm coaching Special Oympics Cycling and will be at the fall games in Greensboro. When that's over (early morning) I plan to jey over to Salisbury just in time for Cat M4.

I'm having fun right now but my training prior to this was BMX racing specific, so I'm playing catch up on the high training heart rate cardio burn of CX but all is good, this season is for learning...

I am lucky to have good friends here who let me borrow a bike so I'm not dragging my MTB around the courses. I'll get a CX bike soon. This is definitely fun! High burn but not as epic as MTB...

Oh, and Cary was def Muddy! I like mud...

Last edited:

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
this is my first season of cross after racing downhill for 4 years and getting too injured. i built up a rigid steel xc mtb and did the last PIR race and most of the salem shorttrack series and had a blast. ive been to 2/3 of the southern oregon outlaw series and love it, but hate my mtb and have been obsessing over cx bikes lately. being a broke joke student sucks during bikes racing times

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
this is my first season of cross after racing downhill for 4 years and getting too injured. i built up a rigid steel xc mtb and did the last PIR race and most of the salem shorttrack series and had a blast. ive been to 2/3 of the southern oregon outlaw series and love it, but hate my mtb and have been obsessing over cx bikes lately. being a broke joke student sucks during bikes racing times
I was in a similar boat, I raced XC for a long time, then switched to DH for 7 years and then I came back to endurance activities due to the amount of injuries. If you look for a cross bike at the end of season you can probably find something used on the cheap.

As for racing, I raced our State Championships today. This is the first weekend we've really had winter weather. It was cold and pouring rain. The field wasn't too big (maybe 30 riders) but the competition was stiff. Wicks even graced us with his presence. We took off and split the field very early. A group of 7 formed at the front and we rode together most of the race. I ended up getting shelled with 3 to go when Wicks attacked and blew everything apart. I tried to bridge up to the chase but I couldn't quite do it. I ended up sixth. I was a little disappointed but this race was the final race for the Willamette series and I won the series and a good chunk of change.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
I was in a similar boat, I raced XC for a long time, then switched to DH for 7 years and then I came back to endurance activities due to the amount of injuries. If you look for a cross bike at the end of season you can probably find something used on the cheap.
yea i was really into getting another downhill rig, but after getting into cross im thinking dh can wait another season. ill hopefully stumble upon some entry cross/touring frame by this summer or next fall

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
i'm gonna try to imagine a 4X race gate start. try to get a good snap and pedal hard to get a holeshot.

i just hope my gearing isn't too low.
Here is my advice, don't take the hole shot. You want to be near the front, but not in the lead. Let someone else burn themselves out attacking from the gun. There are two things I've learned about cross, it's as much about where you conserve energy as it is about where you expend it. The other thing is to be patient. You'll be better off following moves instead of initiating them; people crash, make mistakes, and blow up. Depending on the length of the lap around 2 to go is a good time to attack.

Raced Mens Cat4 today at the Capital Cross Classic in Reston, VA. It was the 1st group to go off, at 0900. It was 29degrees when i pulled into the parking lot at 0815. It also appeared to have rained, iced, and then snowed 1-2" last night.

The course was pretty cool, some nice flat and off camber corners. 2 major climbs which 70% of people dismounted. EVERYTHING was made 2-3X more difficult with the snow and ice. The course marshalls/event promoters had folks out with ice picks and bags of sand/salt for the more slippery sections.
Oh yeah, 2 pretty awesome downhills, 1st was a fairly tech (which started as) gradual left hand sweeper over roots and ruts, which finished with a tricky off camber corner. 2nd was just a straight downhill shot into a flat right hand corner with about 2-3inches of mud. it was pretty cool to be flying into that corner, one foot out moto-stylee, drifting and roosting that.

I did crash at the end of 1st lap after the front wheel washed out on some black ice. but got back up and continued on my way after loosing 5 places. i attributed it to the adrenaline rush and piss poor line choice.

I got lapped by the leader on my last lap, but came in about 2/3rds of the field (of probably 40-50 racers). I didn't meet my goal, but I had some great fun in my 1st CX race.

now, some pics...

at the slushy,muddy areas...yes, it would have been nice to have a lower gear and spin thru it.

but CX is gonna be a training tool for me, so i can stay fit in the off season. Hopefully, by riding SS i can get stronger, and have fun. If i happen to do well at the races, that would be a nice surprise.

My effort is gonna be DH and 4X racing for 2010. I'm only 3 yrs from racing Masters 35+....would love to qualify for the Worlds. But it'll be a long difficult road, as i've been away from DH for awhile. Gotta basically start from scratch (starting at Sport class, Cat 4/5) and working my way back up to (Expert class). That's my goal, if my family/work commitments will allow it.

PM out CBJ

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Sounds like you've got a plan! Nice pics too. We raced in frigid temps at the USGP, but we didn't have to brave snow...that will happen next weekend at the National Championships :p

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
results are up on Bikereg...

i came in 67 out of 79 (89 if you count DNFs). at least i didn't come in DFL. i feel short of my goal, but i had almost as much fun as DH/4X racing. I'll definitely try for the entire season in 2010
ehhh, who cares if you had fun!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Ben Thompson told me that there is over a foot of snow and very cold temps in Bend...do you have any photos?
I don't. yes, it's currently in the single digits and I haven't been to the Old Mill today, but my house has at least a foot of snow. The snow will probably NOT melt by race day since it's not supposed to get above freezing before then.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Stripped the bike down this weekend to inspect and clean. My rear tire was thrashed after Nationals. A true testament to FMB tires, the casing was cut all the way down the tube in spots and the tire never flatted.