Quantcast

Crossing switchbacks

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Rode one of my favorite trails today with some nice tight switchbacks and found that some bikers have been just riding straight across them. Heard that the cut had been blocked twice before by the builders to retain the original favor of the trail and yet these riders keep coming back to open it back up. The cycle's gone around twice now. Looks like the old battle of persistence. Personally, the new line is the lazy way through. These riders should be workin' on their tail whips to school those switchbacks.

Thoughts?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Build it but then give it to the trail users and be happy even though it's not TOTALLY how you wanted it, because it belongs to everyone now, and if you don't accept that it'll just bogue you out......
Are you talking about Tokul? if so i don't really see how the new line interferes much with the old.... it has to be people who want to carry more speed on the descent or i guess cannot tailwhip the switchbacks. But what can you do? Hand them tickets for bushwhacking?:p

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I hear ya. But, I gotta side with those who build. No one likes to see their vision broken up by others who come along later.
Case in point, the guy who built the ToP trails in Renton. He knew they would come. But, when everything became doable in the middle ring, it lost it's charm and the original intent. Unfortunately, you can't really replace trees when they are cut down to "smooth out" a line.

I suppose the only thing I have an issue with is the obvious lack of respect for those who built it originally. Though I have issues with Trailhacker's means of getting his point across about his trails, I would never alter them out of respect and gratitude. Trail braiding, as we have talked about here in the past, is pointless and degrades the original intent of the trail. But, yeah, it's gonna happen and a trip to Costco for some sleep-eaze isn't the answer.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
the problem actually comes from erosion. when a trail gets cut straight down a mountain run off will follow the pathg of least resistance and destroy the mountain side.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by Borneo
Rode one of my favorite trails today with some nice tight switchbacks and found that some bikers have been just riding straight across them. Heard that the cut had been blocked twice before by the builders to retain the original favor of the trail and yet these riders keep coming back to open it back up. The cycle's gone around twice now. Looks like the old battle of persistence. Personally, the new line is the lazy way through. These riders should be workin' on their tail whips to school those switchbacks.

Thoughts?
I love riding switchbacks :) For me it's a great way to practice tight turns going down hill.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by biggins
the problem actually comes from erosion. when a trail gets cut straight down a mountain run off will follow the pathg of least resistance and destroy the mountain side.
important and very valid point....

i was actually with some BBTC'ers helpin out on that first attempt to block the bushwhack and i don't think i stated it but i was definately thinking that it was a feeble attempt. it was my first assumption that equestrians were cutting that corner, because their steeds couldn't make the corner. Something that may have to be tolerated because the equestrians were at Tokul before us. Signs were put up in a with minimal presumption explaining the wishes of mt. bikers to other equestrians on the trail. Mt. bikers probably see an easier faster chute,......... so what are ya gonna do?......y'know? Fuh get about it! hehe....
i do see the potential of drainage/rutting issues with the section but very minimal. The one good thing about it is, it won't confuse you when YOU ride on it, so it won't stop you from doin your tail whips.:)

Trail braiding is way more important an issue, on Trailhacker's trails, i took a wrong turn on a trail he worked alot on and almost wound up hucking a 20 foot drop... haha Only way i'd ever try something like that would be by accident and very well coulda been the last time i ride for awhile.:D

freeriding101

Monkey
May 11, 2004
Anacortes WA
i see what ur saying, the guys that r trail braiding, are 1 to lazy to do any thing but, 2 r total jerk offs and hve no respect for the trail builder and r the reason for trails being closed, also they r what the sierra club uses for examples to get rid of mnt bikers. respect the trail and its builders, use the trail the right way. if the builder wanted you to go straight he wouild have built the trail that way.

horse poop SUCKS

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by Borneo

Case in point, the guy who built the ToP trails in Renton. He knew they would come. But, when everything became doable in the middle ring, it lost it's charm and the original intent.
Took me awhile to figure out what you meant by the ToP trails hehe. I met that old dude with a pal years ago when he was trail working. Seemed like such a super nice guy and an innovator of the tight twisty, using as much of the space as you can.
Yah i understand what you're talking about and believe me i get angry too especially when i remember how the trail used to be, but in some ways the erosion has made some corners tougher, and the new bridges and teeter totter, along with GHY's work on the jumps has transformed it into someplace still fun to go to even after all these years.