Quantcast

cruiser advice...

danW

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
Greensboro
Does anyone out there ride cruiser's for their dj/park habit?...I see alot of 24" bikes suspension fork set up's around the local scene, but never seem to see fully rigid cruiser rides?..

As an example: Federal Foundation cruiser...there are others...that's just the first one that comes to mind.

I'm trying to figure out what purchase to make for a "park" bike...keep in mind I'm an older dude who races bmx/cruiser (very comfortable at the cruiser size) ...I've considered 20" bikes but just don't know if that's a wise move at this point?...so I'm now looking at some the cruiser setups?...

Thanks in advance for any input / advice...

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
There are a few good crusiers out. The newest one I've seen that looks pretty nice is the Shadow Conspiricy crusier.

Seeing that you are a self admitted "older dude", I would highly reccommend you getting a Tonic Fab Fall Guy. ( www.tonicfab.com and read a great review at www.hcor.net) It's basicly a 24" crusier that takes a suspension fork. I imagine you could run a rigid fork if you wished. Most 24" mtb's are just that a mtb made to run 24" wheels. The fall guy has a little bit different feel to it. It's more of a bmx bike that takes 24" wheels and a suspension fork (if that makes sense.) I have not raced my bike, but I am pretty confident that it would be great to race the crusier class at the local bmx track.

I use mine for street/park/dj and it's awesome. It feels a lot like a 20" bike. In fact the bar height and seat height on my bike are identical my friends Fly Pantera! The top tube is longer, but if you put them side by side the bars match up, and the seats match up!

As an "older dude" myself (in the dj/park/street bike world anyways) I have to say the bmx feel, with the suspension fork is great. I can go ride the skate park for a couple of hours, and my wrists don't kill me like they would on a rigid bike.

Diffinately give the fall guy a look.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I've riden cruisers off and on since '86. Profile, Brooklyn, S&M, Porter - all did me well but I have to say I'm most happy w/ the Union Street I picked up a few months ago. The frame is burlier than any production cruiser frame out there, it's CS is the shortest but still fits a 2.3" tire, the BB height isn't too low, and the TT is perfect at 22". I have Manitou Jumper fork which is nice when I come up short on a stunt. Or there are rigid forks available too. Besides the frame, fork, and bars - all the other parts are BMX spec. Like scurban said - the Tonic Fab frame would work very well (similiar geometry to the USB). But I like having the 990's instead :)

If you are intent on a cruiser - the Federal would probably work fine. And I'm sure the complete price on it is very nice. S&M's 24" Pitchforks would be a good buy as well as their 5.25" rise Gay Bars. Sun makes a 48o BFR in 24" but I'd go 24" RhinoLite XL. Alex also has some 48o hoops. 175mm cranks would be a good idea instead of 180s. Keep your feet away from the front wheel on x-ups and stuff.

Check over at the Vintage BMX site for some older guys that still ride and on cruisers. Here is a recent post w/ some cruiser park action: http://www.vintagebmx.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=000676

danW

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
Greensboro
Misfitslacker said:
ride 20", just get a frame that has a TT of 21 1/4. with some slam bars. if you want to ride park, street, or djs, bmx bikes are the only way to go.

bmx bikes are cruiser sized too - I know cuz' I race one :weee:

Thanks for the info guys - gives me more to think about...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
danW said:
bmx bikes are cruiser sized too - I know cuz' I race one :weee:
haha - I love hearing the comment "bmx bikes are 20" only". You used to see a lot more 24"ers in the bmx mags - both racing and doing tricks. Hell, there used to be a bunch of 26" wheeled BMX bikes in the old days.

danW

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
Greensboro
don said:
haha - I love hearing the comment "bmx bikes are 20" only". You used to see a lot more 24"ers in the bmx mags - both racing and doing tricks. Hell, there used to be a bunch of 26" wheeled BMX bikes in the old days.

WORD!

...and nothing personal towards "misfitslacker" but he's the only one that didn't offer detail or supporting reasons for his opinion...I'm just not swayed by fad/s and such.

I'm probably going to go with a cruiser for park stuff and build a second rig for d/j ...something like the Tonic or perhaps DMR?...I don't want to buy/build up two bikes but I'm really wanting to be "rigid" at the park?!

Thanks again for all the input!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
danW - please check out www.unionstreetikes.com and add the Molly Maguire to your list. You can see my thoughts on the Union Street on hcor.net too: http://www.hcor.net/postt25327.html

Tonic Fab seems really cool too from what I've read and seen pix of. Brady from hcor.net just had did a positive writeup on the main page of the site.

As far as 2 bike, I'd do this - get a USB frame, set up w/ good BMX parts, then get a stiff suspension fork (Manitou Jumper or lowered Marz) OR get the DMR rigid chromo fork (20mm if you don't run pegs, 14mm if you do).

Honestly, the only plus I can tell a cruiser has over a small 24"er like USB, Tonic, etc is it will have a bit more room for turndowns as the bars will be a 5-6" rise vs 2-3".

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
My personal advice is this (note I also use my own advice).. I have a Molly Maguire that I ride 3-4x a week, I occasionally race... and I have a dedicated race bike (Alliant- built super light). Just as all the 20" serious racers have a trail/street bike and their race rig....