Quantcast

CTI OTS wrist brace

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
A lot of people were asking about which wrist braces to get recently. I need one as well, since destroying my wrist at Mt Snow a few years ago.

The guys over at CTI fired me over their top of the line "Off the Shelf" (ots) writs brace to try out. It doesn't require any fancy measuring or expensive custom work, so it may be just the ticket for a bunch of people. Chris Van Dine, Cedric Gracia, Kyle Strait and a few others all rock this brace.

It comes set at 60 deg flex, but can be adjusted to 40, 20 or 0 deg as well.

Initial ride confirms it does what it is asked to do...kees you from slamming your wrist backwards into your forearm. It damps side to side movement, but doesn't place a super tight limit on it when riding. Typing with it on, i can't move my damn mouse though. If you need this strict side to side restriction, you want a custom brace I am told.

It is customizeable for left or right wrists, but you have to commit, as you need to cut part of the liner when fitting. It has minimal (amost nothing) on your palm, so you have a basically unobstructed grip, which is what i was looking for. It also fits over dainese and gloves, which is key.

Top:

Bottom:

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
I broke my left radius just behind the wrist 4 times in a 12 month period then got one of these writst braces and the breakage stopped. I have crash tested mine many times over and it works great.

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
Are these readily available, im about three months into a healing scapphoid bone after breaking the same wrist twice before....i need a brake to race in 3 weeks so i can qualify for nationals...how can i get my hands on one of these asap!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I have one of their custom braces and it is my single most important piece of riding gear other than a helmet. I had a shattered wrist and hand in 2004 and should not be able to ride a bike still. A good part of why I can is the CTI wrist brace. I have severaly limited range of motion because of extensively damaged soft tissue. If my wrist sustained the force of even a minor fall the ligaments and tendons damaged would fall apart and I would have to have a full fusion done immediately. I have gone down hard both on my mountian bike and on my dirt bike, and my wrist is still in one piece.

One nice thing about a custom model is that OTS braces in most cases can't be claimed on health insurance policies. If your doctor prescribes a custom brace, most health insurance companies consider it a durable medical good. The off the shelf model runs around 400-500 bucks, my custom model was almost $3000, but my insurance covered most of it. I ended up paying out around $175.

I highly recommend them for riders who have sustained permenant and serious wrist and lower hand injuries. It does help prevent future injuries to the same area.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Are these readily available, im about three months into a healing scapphoid bone after breaking the same wrist twice before....i need a brake to race in 3 weeks so i can qualify for nationals...how can i get my hands on one of these asap!
Readily available through most any moto shop....

racerxyz

Chimp
Jan 6, 2008
:lighten:
If you guys have any more questions about these, I've been selling and wearing them for quite a while, I know just about everything there is to know about 'em. Between the CTi Wrist and the CTi Off-The-Shelf, they're the best protection I've ever seen.

E-mail me if you have any questions:

brett@braceyourselfmx.com

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
i was gonna get that last season, but ended up not racing except one race. after two surgeries and 5 months in a cast im willing to use a brace.

how does it feel while riding?

i know there around 300-400 but its well worth it!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Ditto. Feels great, you don't even know it's there. I have the custom model however so I'm guessing the off the shelf model would feel as good only if it were sized properly. I wear it for MTB, moto, any type of working out that puts stress on my wrist, or any type of activity were I can fall (up on a ladder, roofing, siding, ect). It's been two years and I still love mine, however it's time to get it refurbished! Two years of hard use and the pivots are a little lose, the carbon needs to be checked as I've put some pretty good scrapes in it, and the liner is getting a little stinky.

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
Ya I ended up buying one and using it through the season.... it worked out pretty well actually and definetly saved me on at least two occassions that would have been BADD without it. Im debating how much I want to use it next season however, I would like to feel free and not have the restriction.