Quantcast

Cube Stereo HPC 650b 160mm

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
So I have looked and looked and not really found a thread on here for the Cube Stereo HPC SL 2013, which is what I have. So I figured I would start one and it could be any general discussions about the Cube Stereo.

I have had alot of issues with components on the bike (i only purchased the frame so its not cube or the bikes fault) and just been generally unlucky in even getting it out to ride around yet.

Any thoughts on the frames weight and durability? It is SUPER light which is awesome and while I am not a big dude, 5'11" 150lbs, I am kinda hard on my bike, I have an Evil Undead I shred on too. So how do you think it will hold up on some super aggressive trail/all-mtn/"enduro" riding? Or even some light freeride/downhill? Anyone have longer term experience riding this other than some xc?

I think the rear shock may need some love but I think instead of a tune up I will just buy a new shock. So that leads me to this question, what shock is good or great or made for this bike? I was considering the BOS Kirk, CCDB Air CS Switch or maybe the Fox Float X CTD. Any suggestions/thoughts/opinions on those choices? (btw I have a new 160mm pike up front) I think it would also help to have the leverage ratio of the bike as well, which I could not find after searching hi and lo on the interwebz. So PLEASE, if anyone knows the leverage ratio of the 2013 Cube Stereo 650b, please post it up!

So what shock do you think the the Cube Stereo? BOS Kirk, CCDB Air CS Switch or Fox Float X CTD?

Monkeybo99

Chimp
Jan 5, 2014
Hi,

I've got that bike and love it to bits. Done lots of dh and alpine 'enduro plus lots at leogang.

Got a standard sl, but have upgraded to pikes which have made the thing a monster. Bought a CCDB air CS, and it didn't fit which peed me off, and looking at the shape, I don't think the vivid air will work either. Got a float x on it now, but not enough progressiveness as kept blowing the o ring off the bottom. I actually had the same problem on the old fox shock, but a spacer tune, ( really easy to fit- £30 from mojo) sorted it. Got some on order now for the float x. Even though the tune isn't that correct for my weight at the moment, the float x is perfect on the bike. Rock hard for climbing but way more plush on the descend mode.

Other bits I've upgraded on the bike are:

Zee callipers with saint leavers and 200 rotors. The formula the ones supplied are great, but overheat on big alpine runs.

Turned it into a 2x10 with renthal rings. Kept the 3x10 shifter and it works great but had to make a chain guide.

Renthal riser batboy lite bar

Short stem 32mm

Nukeproof Sam Hill mud seat.

Magic Mary tyre on the front.

Need to get some Mavic's then all set for the mega this year.

The thing rocks and is still a super light for something that can smash most dh's and yet do the odd Xcode race( with light tyres on) very impressed with it.

Hope you get yours sorted.

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
Great info on the CCDB Air, I was about to make the purchase, that does suck that it will not fit though, bummer! What about if you put the resevoir up top, by the rocker link? Did you try that? Looks like its back to either the Float X or the BOS Kirk. I imagine both will fit since theyre built the same in regards to the resevoir placement.

Sounds like you got a nice rig there, great build. One day I will get to take mine out for some real riding.

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
So I ran the Stereo with Pikes at Bootleg Canyon in NV this weekend. Let me tell you, that course is some of the most gnarly and unforgiving terrain out there. The Pike was un-freaking-believable. The rear Fox shock was way over matched for my hard style riding and terrain out there, and the CCDB Air will not fit, along with any other rear shocks designed in that manner, so I think it will be a Fox Float X on the rear of the Cube Stereo, and hopefully, that can keep up with the Pike up front.

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
FOUND IT (image below) if anyone else is looking for Cube Stereo Leverage Ratio, it appears to be fairly linear and a bit progressive to the end which seems obvious enough given its design. The main reason I was searching is to narrow down what tune is needed for the RS Monarch Plus RT3. According to the chart below it appears a Mid Compression Tune would be the best bet.

Note: This is not my image, I came across it. My bad, I should have noted the person who did the original work for it, I did find it on some foreign site (I think it was spanish?) The article it was posted with, along with other pictures/graphs was very informative and well written and apprently the guy that did this also has done other suspensions analysis, atleast that is what I gathered when reading the article.

Attachments

Last edited:

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
UPDATE: the 2014 ROCKSHOX MONARCH PLUS RC3 does NOT work on the 2013 Cube Stereo. When the rear shock is about 85-90% compressed the piggyback reservoir will hit the top of the downtube. So if you are thinking it will fit and work, you are wrong, save yourself $500 and figure out another option.

I have also confirmed with Cane Creek that the CCBD Air will NOT fit the Cube Stereo either. So the only other shock that may work is the Fox Float X, but given the Monarch + shares the same design, I doubt it will work too. However, the second post on this thread suggests otherwise.

If you have a 2013 Cube Stereo and have tried or know 100% that the Fox Float X will work, please confirm it by posting below to save other people time, money and headaches. Thanks!

RC2

Chimp
Mar 13, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Just registered in this forum! :)

I'm a very happy owner of a CUBE Stereo SHPC SL 650B 160 (2013) since Apr-13. I've upgraded some components:

• the front with a RS Pike (what a difference vs. the Talas 34 2013 crap)
  • the wheels with Derby 40mm wide carbon rims + DT 240s + CX-Ray spokes. Best upgrade ever
  • the chainrings w1th 2x10 (22/36) + bashguard (not in the picture)

RC_CUBE_with_Derby_rims_clean1p.jpg

Regarding the Leverage Ratio I confirm that it's flat: 2,52-2,62
Using the Linkage application you can see all the details of your bike geometry/suspension links. It's didactic and fun.

Linkage CUBE Stereo 27,5.png

I'm also very interested in knowing the potential shock upgrades for the Stereo. Float-X? Kirk?...

Dec 4, 2014
Placitas, NM
Hi,

I've got that bike and love it to bits. Done lots of dh and alpine 'enduro plus lots at leogang.

Got a standard sl, but have upgraded to pikes which have made the thing a monster. Bought a CCDB air CS, and it didn't fit which peed me off, and looking at the shape, I don't think the vivid air will work either. Got a float x on it now, but not enough progressiveness as kept blowing the o ring off the bottom. I actually had the same problem on the old fox shock, but a spacer tune, ( really easy to fit- £30 from mojo) sorted it. Got some on order now for the float x. Even though the tune isn't that correct for my weight at the moment, the float x is perfect on the bike. Rock hard for climbing but way more plush on the descend mode.

Other bits I've upgraded on the bike are:

Zee callipers with saint leavers and 200 rotors. The formula the ones supplied are great, but overheat on big alpine runs.

Turned it into a 2x10 with renthal rings. Kept the 3x10 shifter and it works great but had to make a chain guide.

Renthal riser batboy lite bar

Short stem 32mm

Nukeproof Sam Hill mud seat.

Magic Mary tyre on the front.

Need to get some Mavic's then all set for the mega this year.

The thing rocks and is still a super light for something that can smash most dh's and yet do the odd Xcode race( with light tyres on) very impressed with it.

Hope you get yours sorted.

Dec 4, 2014
Placitas, NM
I have a 2013 Cube Stereo Super HPC 160, size large and am thinking of switching to a Fox Float X CTD rear shock. You say you've done that--does the X ever rub the downtube? I've read online that other double barrel shocks won't fit the Cube.

Dec 4, 2014
Placitas, NM
So I ran the Stereo with Pikes at Bootleg Canyon in NV this weekend. Let me tell you, that course is some of the most gnarly and unforgiving terrain out there. The Pike was un-freaking-believable. The rear Fox shock was way over matched for my hard style riding and terrain out there, and the CCDB Air will not fit, along with any other rear shocks designed in that manner, so I think it will be a Fox Float X on the rear of the Cube Stereo, and hopefully, that can keep up with the Pike up front.
Have you tried the Float X on the Cube? If so, does it rub the downtube when fully compressed?