Quantcast

Custom 6-speed Cassette?

CountryBoy

Monkey
Nov 10, 2008
Reno, NV
So have been looking at making a custom 6 speed cassette to help get a better chainline on my demo and just for a little project. I was thinking about 12-4-6-8-21-3 or 12-3-5-7-9-21. What do you think about a cassette like this would run with a 36T chainring? Any input is welcome.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
The PG-970DH will run you about $50. Cogs are 11,12,13,15,17,19,21,23,26 so you can pick what you need and use spacers on your hub body to fill out the rest. It might not be the lightest out there but it's just about the only one that isn't spidered so the cogs are removable.

edit: meant that the cogs on the PG-970DH are all individual, not somehow connected to a spider. There are obviously a slew of cassettes that use one or more spiders on their construction that you could dissect to make a 6-speeds, just not where you could individually select the cogs you want like you used to be able to do on road cassettes and freewheels.

http://www.sram.com/en/srammountain/cassettes/9speed/pg970dh.php

-ska todd

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
ultegra comes partially spidered, I'm running an (with a 36 in front) 11-14-17-19-21-23 and I'm pretty happy with that.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
but running an 11 will just make his chainline that much worse.....
I can't tell if you're serious, you're teasing, or if you're making a reference to spinal tap.

In the hopes that I'm not an idiot, I'm going to assume spinal tap!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
IIRC, he is running a 50mm chainline crank. A 6 speed starting at 11 will need to be pushed fully outboard, increasing the rear chainline, and making things worse.

But yes, this one goes to 11....

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The PG-970DH will run you about $50. Cogs are 11,12,13,15,17,19,21,23,26 so you can pick what you need and use spacers on your hub body to fill out the rest. It might not be the lightest out there but it's just about the only one that isn't spidered so the cogs are removable.

-ska todd
aren't the cheaper 950 cassettes still splittable? the two I run 7 speed are.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i got a 5 speed one, i dropped the first 2 gears on a 25-12. cant remember what the top gear is, but i think its a 21 or 19. spacer is from an car exhaust that fit just nice. front chain ring is a 38. original plan was to go for a 36 and find a 13t lock ring gear and make it a 6 spd.

if you use an ultegra cassette, it works out just nice, the first two gears are on one spider, then the next two are on a separate spider too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are you going to change spacing, or is everything going to be kept as 9-speed spacing? If the latter, what's the point? You'd probably save weight by going with a nice aluminum spidered XTR or top level SRAM cassette, and if the spacing is the same...

If you're messing around with spacing, then yes please!

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
I took the largest two cogs off my Mongoose Nugget (slopestyle/4x/whatever...I'm gonna be jumping it a ton). I filled the space in with a bunch of cassette spacers. I think I lost like 187 grams or somthing like that and don't miss the gears at all. I used one of the cheapest SRAM cassettes...950 maybe?

Works pretty well with a 10 year old XTR...heh heh. For the Demo, if you wanted to do this, you would just pull the big ones off, and put the spacers on the outside. You would definately need to finangle with the limit screws a bit...and replace at least one of them with a much longer bolt. I used an M4x20mm bolt (LG1 upper slider..heh heh) and its been perfect so far.

Cheers,
philip

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
Although this doesn't address your chainline issue, here's an example of a 6 speed setup I made for my Demo.

I used a Hope single speed hub with 10mm bolts. I then installed a new generation 12-34 XTR cassette (CS-M970) with the separated carriers. This allowed me to remove the first carrier with the 34/30 cogs. I also removed the single 16T cog. This produced a cassette with a 12-14-18-20-23-26. The shift from 14 to 18 isn't the smoothest, but it works.

Because the cassette is placed outboard, I had to drill and tap the X.O. derailleur to accept a longer screw, positioned on an angle, to reach the bottom out pad on the derailleur's parallelogram.

Again, this does not provide the best chainline when using a 51mm crankset. So far I have had no issues with rubbing on the outside of my bashguard or the drive train making weird noises. Everything works as it should.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
If i wanted to limit the top 3 gears on my supreme dh how would i go about doing it? the chainline is wack in the top 3 with the e13 chainguide and id like to lock them out

running a short cage x.9 with x.9 shifter and a road cassette

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
^ haha, the reason i started using 5spds was because of that bike. carried on using it because i like it now.

you can lock them out by using the limit screws. screw in the low limit screw.

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
I'll second the splitable 970, but not the DH version,the road one...

Although I know you've already seen it, I'll post it for reference of what you want to do.

My 6-speed demo; awesome chainline, no fiddling with custom limits. PG970 12-14-16-19-21-23.

Last edited:

CountryBoy

Monkey
Nov 10, 2008
Reno, NV
I have access to individual cogs so I can make any combo I want, so that isn't an issue just wondering if you guys think 12-3-5-7-9-21 or a 12-4-6-8-21-23 is a better range. I am leaning towards the second which has a bit more range.

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
Knowing what you'll be doing with it would help...

Race only bike? Ride to trails bike? Chairlift access bike? General everything use bike...

I would personally go with the 23 option, as I did similar, I still get the gears I need for racing (in ontario though...) and am comfortable pedalling it around to get to some trails as well as some small slope climbing. It is just more versatile...

I am also using a 36 up front...

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
wow lol
6 speed cassettes on 9 spd hub's is idiotic, stupid stupid ****

6 speed cassettes on ss hub's is legit, I used to run that but realized that was stupid too.

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
I run an 11-34 custom 8-speed cassette.

Buy a 9 speed XT or XTR cassette, toss the 13 and 15 tooth, replace it with a 14 tooth and you've got a pretty nice 8 cog setup. Chain line gets better and you have a bigger gap between the spokes and last cog in case you throw your chain over.

Jason C

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
To both posts above; read the OP. He is doing it mainly for the chainline issues involved with 50mm cranks on a demo. And that is the reason I did mine...

Mar 4, 2003
Somewhere in Alabama
In the past I've used 970 and 970DH cassettes for my 5-speed. I basically removed every other cog and it worked perfectly. I'm normally a fan of Sram derailleurs/shifters, but Shimano derailleurs do work better with the narrower cassettes. The limit screws are long enough on the Shimano's to actually limit 5 and 6 speed setups. 105 and Ultegra derailleurs work excellently in these types of setups.

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
Is there a way that you can get a sram shifter onto a shimmy road derailleur? Because that would be awesome...

Or is there at least such thing as a rapid rise road derailleur?