Quantcast

"Custom" built wheels?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I am looking at getting a set of 721's on Hope hubs. I remember reading a while back about a place that built them up for a very reasonable price but I can't find it through the search function. Was it CRC? Any suggestions?

Also, is there a site that will allow you to virtually build wheels and will then give you a complete weight? (Accounting for rims, hubs,spokes & nipples, not just adding rim+hub) I can't find a weight for my stock IH spec'd hubs and am trying to figure a way to compare.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yup. CRC does that for you but your local shop will too. If your local shop is good for you support it.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
CRC built a set of wheels that I use on my trailbike. 32h Hope Pro 2's with 719's. I only have 3 rides on them so far, but they seem to be built well. Got them for roughly $430ish shipped and they got to my door in about a week.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
i would strongly suggest having CRC wheels checked quick for true, round and tension. lots are good, but some are not - i have seen several front wheels fold on the first or second ride due to uneven tension.

for weights, you can also always use the dtswiss spoke calculator - it has alot of rims and hubs saved, and you can always edit weights as well. the IH hubs were formula brand 20mm front, 150mm rear. straight guage 14 champion spokes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I priced out a pair of 721s on hopes through CRC...grand total came to be like 350 bucks or less. I couldn't believe it. Didn't have the fundage at the time, but that was a deal.

sassmatt72

Chimp
Dec 2, 2009
if you want an amasing set of wheels contact Gravy wheels, and have gravy make u a set of truly hand built (massaged, held, loved, and done right) wheels. just answer his questions about what your usage will be and listen to what is suggested as to what you need, after decades of wheel builds the man knows him hoops. I'm still amased at the milage I've gotten out of every set of Gravy wheels.
LIVE LONG RIDES!

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
i would strongly suggest having CRC wheels checked quick for true, round and tension. lots are good, but some are not - i have seen several front wheels fold on the first or second ride due to uneven tension.

for weights, you can also always use the dtswiss spoke calculator - it has alot of rims and hubs saved, and you can always edit weights as well. the IH hubs were formula brand 20mm front, 150mm rear. straight guage 14 champion spokes.
Thanks for the info, although I think there is seems to be a bit of guessing when it comes to the actual hub brand. SKC (who I believe worked for IH, states that they are King & Kong hubs which seems legit due to his inside knowledge and photo comparison. The formula's look different.)

I think I am going to just strip the wheel, weigh it as a whole and compare that way. I found a vague weight reference on the King & kong hub which claimed 150g for the front...If thats the case I'm not going to drop much weight going from Sun MTX @660g to 721@590g and the K&K hub @ 150g(?) to a Hope @172g. I don't think the 150g is accurate which is why I want to compare the wheels as a whole.