Quantcast

Custom Fork Decals

ricrellim

Chimp
Aug 19, 2008
Colorado
HAHA Na Man! I contacted him first but he said he is taking a break from the business for a little while. I think his designs rock! I am pretty bummed he is unavailable.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You can't sell "Boxxer" stickers...which might explain his absence. From what I saw, he had great designs and quality, and he might still be making them so long as they don't say any trademarked names.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I can do any decal besides the Boxxer FOR NOW!!!!!

I am unfortunately taking a break from the decal biz for about a month due to my head condition.

There will be a thread when I am back up and running to let you guys know, sorry for the inconvenience.

For the guys that have decals on order I will be finishing those up next week and getting them out to you.

ricrellim

Chimp
Aug 19, 2008
Colorado
Excuse the crappy image. I was kind of drunk last night when I took it and didnt realize it was so blurry. As you can see it needs some character. I think White decals of the fork would look nice.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Are you good with graphics? If so you could just send off a vector image or high resolution and simple graphic to a vinyl cutting company. I had the XER and rock shock sticker made for under 4$ including shipping:

I don't think anybody caught on in the boxxer thread. :disgust1:

Sorry to hear about your head Rufus. That didn't happen to be you taking a head-dive into rocks at massanutten towards the top would it? I know I saw your vehicle.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
sorry about yer head man, get better.

I wouldn't mind picking up some stickers for my sunday and boxxer when you get back to it. Something like "I O U" or "IRONY" to slap right over the normal logo...and then "OUTDATED" on the fork, boxxer style. Classy.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
:

Sorry to hear about your head Rufus. That didn't happen to be you taking a head-dive into rocks at massanutten towards the top would it? I know I saw your vehicle.
No, wasn't me. I have had terrible headaches for 6 straight months all day everyday and it is putting a huge toll on me. Sucks but hopefully with a little break they will subside.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I find a diet of straight MSG and bourbon with no water while listening only to heavy metal on "11" usually helps me.

but seriously...sorry bout yer noggin, feel better asap.

ricrellim

Chimp
Aug 19, 2008
Colorado
I decided to give a shot at designing it myself. I found this font and dug it.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
I think it'd look better without that little flourish at the end, with the "77" done the same as the "session" for consistency and the kerning could be worked on a little bit more(some characters are too close for comfort).

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I think if you guys really wanted to make Boxxer stickers you could. RockShox/SRAM can't prevent you from doing cosmetic changes to a fork that you bought. It's not their fork once it sells to you. They have no right to tell you how you can paint it, decal it, modify it. The only thing they can do is tell you that your mods voided the warranty.

Rufus or anyone else could sell custom decals for Boxxers if he was clever about it. All it takes is a little creativity.

Think about it. This idea that you can't make/sell Boxxer decals is ridiculous... it would be like Hayes telling Dangerboy that it has to stop selling replacement lever blades.

What RockShox probably think they're doing is protecting a brand name. They're being legal jerks. Any decent lawyer practicing in Rufus's state could show Rufus how to keep selling decals.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
no.

what rufus was doing is trademark infringement. No one can stop you from producing and applying stickers yourself on products you own, but once you start selling them, it's highly illegal.

The same goes for something like replacement lever blades. If you want to, say, build replacement uppers or a custom crown for your fork, that's fine, and you can sell those too, so long as they aren't branded as Hayes or Rockshox or Boxxer, which are all trademarks. They do have the right to void your warranty, if you do, since you are modifying a product with aftermarket parts.

In RUFUS' case, the SRAM group was probably pretty nice, since I think it was simple cease and desist vs. a full-on lawsuit for damages or lost income. You could probably get away with it, if you altered the sticker so that it said BOXER instead of BOXXER or BOCKSER or ROCHSHOX or something like that, since they can't trademark everything.

Your best bet is to do it yourself, or alter it in a way that doesn't fit the style or name of the other company.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I decided to give a shot at designing it myself. I found this font and dug it.

What do you guys think?
Keep in mind you can't have crazy details with vinyl.. or lots of colors. You also can't really do shading/etc.

I hope you have a way higher resolution version of that image too, or better yet a vector file. :)

ricrellim

Chimp
Aug 19, 2008
Colorado
Hi Res = Yes. I just put up a web version for you guys to preview. So the tree should go huh? The 77 is in the same font just turned a different direction.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
no.

what rufus was doing is trademark infringement. No one can stop you from producing and applying stickers yourself on products you own, but once you start selling them, it's highly illegal.

The same goes for something like replacement lever blades. If you want to, say, build replacement uppers or a custom crown for your fork, that's fine, and you can sell those too, so long as they aren't branded as Hayes or Rockshox or Boxxer, which are all trademarks. They do have the right to void your warranty, if you do, since you are modifying a product with aftermarket parts.

In RUFUS' case, the SRAM group was probably pretty nice, since I think it was simple cease and desist vs. a full-on lawsuit for damages or lost income. You could probably get away with it, if you altered the sticker so that it said BOXER instead of BOXXER or BOCKSER or ROCHSHOX or something like that, since they can't trademark everything.

Your best bet is to do it yourself, or alter it in a way that doesn't fit the style or name of the other company.
Correct, Sram was very professional in their cease and desist. I had 30 days to sell all of my stock.
The reason was because of a trademark infringement of the word Boxxer which is a trademarked name.

Keep your eyes open here in the next month as I will have a license agreement with Sram to do all of their decals to INCLUDE custom 2010 boxxer decals!!!!!!

The business will be open in a few months and at that time we should be good to go.

Huge thanks goes out to Boobar for all of the help so far so if any of you guys see him then make sure to buy him a beer for me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that is way cool. glad to hear you worked something out, and I can't wait to see the new graphics.

Props to SRAM for allowing you to sell your remaining stock. It's a tough call for a manufacturer, because you really aren't hurting their sales by selling those stickers, in fact you're almost promoting them by allowing riders to choose a color and keep the factory logo...at the same time, it's classic infringement, and you can't let that go.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
that is way cool. glad to hear you worked something out, and I can't wait to see the new graphics.

Props to SRAM for allowing you to sell your remaining stock. It's a tough call for a manufacturer, because you really aren't hurting their sales by selling those stickers, in fact you're almost promoting them by allowing riders to choose a color and keep the factory logo...at the same time, it's classic infringement, and you can't let that go.
I understood that after the fact. Sram is a GREAT company and Jeremiah Boobar is BADASS. I am really excited to work for them in this aspect.

I ride Sram because of their great products but now I appreciate them for their people.

ricrellim

Chimp
Aug 19, 2008
Colorado
Hey Rufus, I understand why you have 24/7 headaches. I have been looking at fonts for hours at a time and driving myself nuts trying to do this. I know you need a break but i would love some pointers as I post ideas. i will be putting a few more ideas up tomorrow.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
So the tree should go huh? The 77 is in the same font just turned a different direction.
Yeah, I meant the "77" should flow in the same direction as the "session".

S
E
S
S
I
O
N

It's really personal preference, but I think it would look a lot cleaner with the "tree" out of the picture. There are already some nice details in the font and the tree just distracts the viewer from that. If you really want it in, it might do better if it was placed between the "session" and the "77". My 2 cents... :D
As for details for vinyl... If it's a silkscreen onto a clear vinyl backing, it's not so bad, but yes, shading of any kind is out of the question.

Last edited:

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
if you print the stickers you can do fades and whatever you want. we cut vinyl and print vinyl on two different machines

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
I understood that after the fact. Sram is a GREAT company and Jeremiah Boobar is BADASS. I am really excited to work for them in this aspect.

I ride Sram because of their great products but now I appreciate them for their people.
Sounds like they really came to the party for ya .

Curious- Could you not sell 2 stickers, one says "BOX" the other says "XER" , then the punter just sticks them together . Would that get around the copy write ? Just curious that's all.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Sounds like they really came to the party for ya .

Curious- Could you not sell 2 stickers, one says "BOX" the other says "XER" , then the punter just sticks them together . Would that get around the copy write ? Just curious that's all.
Not too sure but that wouldn't be worth it for me and the decal would actually come out pretty badly in my opinion.

For how great Boobar and the rest of the Sram family has been with this, I wouldn't do anything different.

Give me a few months and some great products will be out very soon!!!

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Is there anyone other than Rufus that does custom fork decals?
ALAS!! I found my guy!!
I recently rode with a guy here in San Diego who does a lot of graphics work.
He's been doing custom graphics since he was 15 and man, he's got a creative twist to things.

If any of you guys have any interest in getting ANYTHING done up, he said he'll be more than happy to make it happen. I could pass his email to anyone interested. Really, really cool guy and passionate mountainbiker and a shredder to boot.

I love what he did on the fork... I just wanted colors for my wife's bike. He did more than just coloring for sure..

oh and for those wanting to get 2010 Boxxer decals done, he's all set with a working template. ;)

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
oh and for those wanting to get 2010 Boxxer decals done, he's all set with a working template. ;)
That is great work and a great twist on the fork decals!!!

On a side note, Please have him make sure that he has a Non exclusive agreement with Rock Shox/Sram before starting to make 2010 Boxxer decals and advertising it. I don't want to have yet another printer get a letter from them.

I have contact info for Sram if he wants it. Have him email me at rufusphotography@mac.com

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
That is great work and a great twist on the fork decals!!!

On a side note, Please have him make sure that he has a Non exclusive agreement with Rock Shox/Sram before starting to make 2010 Boxxer decals and advertising it. I don't want to have yet another printer get a letter from them.

I have contact info for Sram if he wants it. Have him email me at rufusphotography@mac.com
so are you making boxxer decals still or did they stop you?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
so are you making boxxer decals still or did they stop you?
They did not stop me, my licensing agreement with Sram has ran out and I did not renew it for this season as the printer head is broken. I still make diecuts at this time, just no printing.
As soon as I get a new machine, I will be renewing the agreement and Boxxer decals will be available.