Quantcast

Custom Wheels

ragerider

Chimp
May 7, 2004
Medford, MA.
Hey riderz!
I'm looking to have a custom wheel set built so I'm wondering who your favorite wheel builders are and where they are located. I like to support my local bike shops when I can get what I want from them. I'm in the Boston, MA. area.

Chris2fur

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson, Arizona
ragerider said:
Hey riderz!
I'm looking to have a custom wheel set built so I'm wondering who your favorite wheel builders are and where they are located. I like to support my local bike shops when I can get what I want from them. I'm in the Boston, MA. area.
If you decide to go outside your area, Mike Garcia (oddsandendos.com) is very good and very reasonably priced. I recommend getting his contact info at the website and calling him as he can give you a lot more info about your options over the phone. Dave Thomas of Speed Dream is a very renouned wheel builder. He's a bit pricier than Mike, though. I've got one wheel by each of them and they've both held up very well for over a year so far.

sixsixtysix

Monkey
Mar 6, 2005
Hell
Dave Thomas from Speeddream builds really nice custom wheesets. I put 1100 miles on the set I got for my XC bike last year and when I had them checked at the end of the season they were still as perfectly true as the day I got them. I just picked up this new set from Dave for my new FR rig for this season.

His wheelsets are a little pricey (these were $700 without the rubber) but he uses Chris King hubs, and will work with you on your weight / riding style match the perfect rim to it.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Chris2fur said:
If you decide to go outside your area, Mike Garcia (oddsandendos.com) is very good and very reasonably priced. I recommend getting his contact info at the website and calling him as he can give you a lot more info about your options over the phone. Dave Thomas of Speed Dream is a very renouned wheel builder. He's a bit pricier than Mike, though. I've got one wheel by each of them and they've both held up very well for over a year so far.
Make is badass. granted, i haven't had him build me anywheels, but talking to him on the phone is like talking to a friend. there's no pressure at all. it's as if he wants to talk to you, and you're not keeping him from some other task at hand.

my suggestion is to build your own wheels, with spokes frim Mike 'cause his prices cannot be touched.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
sixsixtysix said:
Dave Thomas from Speeddream builds really nice custom wheesets. I put 1100 miles on the set I got for my XC bike last year and when I had them checked at the end of the season they were still as perfectly true as the day I got them. I just picked up this new set from Dave for my new FR rig for this season.

His wheelsets are a little pricey (these were $700 without the rubber) but he uses Chris King hubs, and will work with you on your weight / riding style match the perfect rim to it.
Holy crap I think that is the sexiest wheelset I've ever seen. I'm a big fan of the red. :love: