Quantcast

Cut down Maxxis Wetscreams

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Where can I get some wet screams?
We just got the list from Maxxis as our tire sponsor, wasn't on the for sale list.

Any hints?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yet another of those Maxxis mysteries, along with phasing out SR when they perform better (IMO) than ST; phasing out both of them before 3C is available; then phasing ST back in ("temporarily"); then not being able to manufacture enough 3C for the US market for most of the 07 season.

Despite Maxxis tires being arguably the best for DH, they don't seem to want to sell many of them.

-r

Anyone know why they don't sell them domestically?

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Last season we had a deal with Kenda, and they were never able to deliver the KOT's, El Moco's, Telonix, or the Excavators. It was really crap in our opinion. Most of us ended up on Maxxis stuff.

dhrace

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
If you do a full cut on the wetscreams do you make all the knobs the same . or is the middle knobs shorter. how much do you take off?

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
how do swamp things compare to wet screams?

really there is no comparison.... wet screams are so much better

if it is real muddy leave them full length, and if it faster/harder or really rocky in spots just cut them down
Dave I sorta disagree but its subjective, terrain, what you like etc and thats jmo!

Skiforfree, for what its worth we have allot of wet conditions here for our DH season, so Ive spent mosty of last season in wet conditions both Am/FR and esspecially DH every race was mud! And I like mud, so winter and wet riding is something Ive always gone looking for!

Ive run wetscreams mostly and I really like them but also found some nice secrets about the Swampthings that suprised me, I normally run em on my AM bike though not as much as I should have, partly aslo due to the fact getting sizes and compounds is also a pain in the arse, either importers limit options or just don't get enough of them seem to lack confidence or $$ for stock!
and agree the Maxxis website for tire info is very poor, Im a big fan but they really need to sort that out and have a good full time admin ands someone whos onto the market it seems like an after thought but thats not uncommon in this industry!

Anyways digress, Wetscreams I found were better in soft deep mud and Ive not found too many issues on rocks but tire pressure is key as with everything there's a compromise somewhere its finding a balance for tire stability at speed, landings and grip! The side knobs can get squirmy on hardpack in dry sections of track or where mud gets roosted away by continous same line everyone usually follows, but look for different lines if an option there anyway!

I found the 2.5 better for the bigger jumps stability and running softer pressures the 2.2 gets down into the deep stuff a bit better but more pressure for stabilty obvious but its a toss up depends on course for me, wet muddy but bit more high speed open with rocky sections big jumps I go 2.5 if deep really soft slower tighter course we have a few here top to bottom then the 2.2 is nice!

Where the SWAMPTHING comes into its own is lots of rock, grass, mud but hard undernearth, e,g clay so slippery on top, maybe throw in rockgardens, some fire roads, slippery roots big jumps or if it drys up which got me in one race last year! the Swampthing rocks hands down best tire Ive used it fact it gets so much grip I wouldn't mind trying it in even softer conditions, again pain its so hard to get all the sizes I'd like to try!

For in between dry and mud Swampy rulz! on some of our AM trails its clay based rooty as hell, narly lots people struggle here in the wet [well dry as well lol] with lots of fire roads in between this tire has been god like, the grip is incredible, one thing it does do better than the WS is it sheads mud very well.

I found my Wetscreams could get quite clogged which made em heavier and grip suffered! in the worst conditions of my DH races last year the I practiced the day before on WS and race runs went to the Swampthing by accident in the rear as I flatted on a gapper, had no time to fix so just swapped out rear wheel with the SW already mounted I couldn't believe the difference, and its not much slower than the Minion! Highly underated tire imo, possibly because its so hard to get in sizes people want!

I would love some 2.35s 2ps in ST/SR and 2.5s in same comps esspecially in which bums me ya can't get this anymore, a Minion I raced in this ST/SR was and still is the best front tire in the dry Ive ever used for me, others can flame me on that but I still rate it better than th 3c which I also rate and I use more than any other tire its on copule of bikes, but I loved the SR/ST compound and man it could corner!

Im a corner rider first pedalling is secondary to me I like carry speed once I get moving so cornering is my priority so I can maintain momentum, I was working on the pedalling endurance/strength for flat out 3-4mins but thats another story Im sidelined now!

Before Steve Peat had to use kenda [or black out his sidewalls ] and was a Maxxis rider the Swampthing was one of his favs and ya know where his home is. similar ride conditions to what we have here!:biggrin:

Anyways thats my take on it and I'd rather have those than cut down my wetscreams which I do love, I just think there is so much more potential in the swampthing yet to discover, I hope it stays in the lineup and also wish they would get more production going sell online so I don't have to be mucked around by importers or LBS who don't even know whats in the range! sizes or compounds!

I miss the wet season its in full swing and all I can do is watch seasons:plthumbsdown: still its a good movie can't complin about that:biggrin:

If ya can get em give em a shot! they did do a 2ply in 2.35 as well which would run well with the 2.5SW up front in 2ply, note: theyre a little more high volume than the Wetscream's also, which for is nice as Im not lightweight!
:cheers: