Quantcast

cut the gut?

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
i'm fifteen, and have a lil too much around the middle. i'm five nine, just under 180, and would like to lose some weight. first, a few details about my body build: VERY heavy-set, deep chest, and i really am big-boned. I can tell you one thing now, i am NOT a runner. I can't keep with it long enough at a time to burn any fat. same thing with xc biking; i find it easiest to excercises while not going anywhere. so, i come to the public to ask what excercises i should be doing to burn some fat, like a half-inch to and inch of pinch in, like, a month. Anybody got a suggestion?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
running really is the best way to burn calories. it's not so unpleasant when you take your mind of it, as when you play basketball, racquetball or some similar sport.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well, first off, you're 15. you'll more than likely lose some of that as you mature. i was your size when i was 15. before i became a lazy **** a year or so ago, i was 6' 180 (21yrs old.

but anywho, get a road bike, or run (in some sense of the work...like toshi said). and, try to eat a descent lunch, as opposed to what your school is likely feeding you. are you doing anything somewhat calorie-burning in school?

do some crunches, too. and push-ups.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
jump rope, stair master or elipitical at the gym, and ride your bike more, eat 5-6 small meals, and dont eat anything fried of high in fat (french fries, cookies, hamburgs, doughnuts, etc)

the answer is simple, less calories in, combined with burning more calories by being active......the motivation and will power is the hard part.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
biggins said:
i wrestled as well. Talkin bout scary quick weight loss.
me three. my wrestling weight was 75 lbs. below what i'm at now :eek: / :dead: / :think: hmm.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
manziman said:
get on the school wrestling team. I wrestled for 6 years. my jr. year in high school I was down to below %4 body fat. it's a great work out and great cardio. just do it.
i wresteled for three years. i liked it a lot, but my high school practices go until 6:00 at night, and i simply don't have the time. and for the Inbred, i do over 100 sit-ups a night, 50 push-ups, and i never eat at school. I know i'm not fat, i just feel like i have a lil too much.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
flatulant_man said:
i wresteled for three years. i liked it a lot, but my high school practices go until 6:00 at night, and i simply don't have the time. QUOTE]
brofish, that's a light night. We would go 3-4 weight room, 4-5 cardio/running, 5-730 drills/live wrestling. still a great workout. dying every nice.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
manziman said:
brofish, that's a light night. We would go 3-4 weight room, 4-5 cardio/running, 5-730 drills/live wrestling. still a great workout. dying every nice.
i know. it's not the activity i'm worried about. it's the fact that i wouldn't get home till seven, miss family dinner, and be doing homework until eleven. I can't fall behind on my homework.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
flatulant_man said:
i know. it's not the activity i'm worried about. it's the fact that i wouldn't get home till seven, miss family dinner, and be doing homework until eleven. I can't fall behind on my homework.
yea, that's always a good point. Just work at your own pace and your own level. you know your body's limits and know where/how hard to push yourself. One thing is, you can't just sit around and talk about it, you just need to go do it.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
I've been working on that too, and it really takes a concious effort. This summer, I was riding 200+ miles/week, and didn't lose any weight. I took a good look at my lifestyle, and realized my diet was my big roadblock. Try not eating until you're hungry, and when you do eat, only eat until you're not hungry, not til you're full. I'm seriously eating half of what I was before. This is assuming you can work it in with high school, family, etc. I'm in college, so I can pull it off reasonably easy. Listen to your body.

FYI: 5'10", 210, attempting to get down to 190.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
In this kind of situation, you have to force yourself to do things your body doesnt want to do. Its like when you are being pushed by a coach, you know it will be over, but if you try harder it will be over sooner. You have to have commitment towards so that will change you in a way you like. Try running and/or biking, and if you get tired, thats part of getting to the top. Your body will progress over time and you will gain a high metabolism and stamina. Just keep on trying man, you will be passing people left and right soon.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
Yea, you guys have great points: lifestyle, diet, motivation. I took this one kid on my volleyball team and taught him how to eat/increase cardio endurance/work out properly and within a 2 month period he had lost 10lbs and gained 6" on his vertical jump. so, motivate yourself, watch what you eat/drink (instead of a soda, drink Gatorade or a water) and just be happy and positive about what you're doing...

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
You also want to eat stuff that will help other parts of the body. You want to make sure you stay regular and keep a good immune system. By eating right, a keeping a good immune system and attempting to keep myself clean, I havent missed a day of high school and i'm a junior. Remember to keep motivation and keep pushing yourself.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
manziman said:
so, motivate yourself, watch what you eat/drink (instead of a soda, drink Gatorade or a water) and just be happy and positive about what you're doing...
yeah i've been watching my diet 4 the past month, and going for walks instead of tv. the cm have slowly been coming off. thanks. now if you'll excuse me, i'm on vicadin, and am gonna fall asleep. later.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
snowboarding. took off a jump in the wind, and flipped backwards & rotated backside a lil by accident. overshot my landing and fell 15 ft onto the inside of my armpit because my left arm was extended over my head weird. and i can't do anything about it till my as-of-yet unscheduled surgery to pin the ball back onto my humorous! bathing is rather a fascinating experience, if u know what i mean...

and sorry, wasn't new years day, was new years EVE day. a lil stupid when i'm on painkillers :D