Quantcast

Cutting a Michelin Comp 24.1

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Well, I am taking a break from working on the tire. I have one half done, but I shudder at the thought of finishing the other half. However, since I will be done in the near future regardless, does anyone (who has done the "popular" cut) have an advice on an efficient way to cut the knobs besides using a utility knife? I want this to be a bit easier the next time I attempt it :) Thanks!

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
There are two different types of side knobs on this tire. One is a solitary knob, the other is a pair of knobs that are sorta connected. I am cutting off the inner knob on each pair.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Okay, I finished. I guess you just have to figure out the fastest and most accurate way to cut each knob (since cutting the knobs on one side are different from cutting the same knobs on the other side because I'm not ambidextrous).
Now explain the hot knife to me :) I'm sure it would stink, but it might make this easier next time.
As far as which knobs to cut, here's a pic that Acadian made (I think he made it, he posted it numerous times)

PS
I figure that leaving just a tiny lip/edge on the braking side is a good way to go, but I guess I'm being picky if I'm being that careful about my cutting. Otherwise, just cut the thing clean off. :)

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Oh yeah, the benefits. This will allow the tire to work better in looser/muddier conditions without affecting rolling resistance much (like I care about that :)). As it is stock, it is pretty much a hardpack-only tire. Now I can roll it on the loamy dirt that I ride along with the slick rocks and roots. And for the record, I'm running it in the rear only. The Comp 16 is going on front, and I'm not planning on cutting that one at all.

Attachments

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
zedro said:
yeah this was suggested to me in one of my whiny tire rants. I havent gained the courage to start the 500 knob shearing process tho...
try it...works great Z. I trim all my tires, even the Comp 16's 2.5" - BUT I mostly trim the front tires and rearly do the back one.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i think this whole is just a kooky wild idea Acadian drudged some morning while shaving his mug. Now it's out of control and everyone is gonna be shaving knobs off their tires as a fashion statement.
*digging around for tin snips and old Weirwolfs*
yes i know i'm such a poser.... :cool:

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
erikkellison said:
Oh yeah, the benefits. This will allow the tire to work better in looser/muddier conditions without affecting rolling resistance much (like I care about that :)). As it is stock, it is pretty much a hardpack-only tire. Now I can roll it on the loamy dirt that I ride along with the slick rocks and roots. And for the record, I'm running it in the rear only. The Comp 16 is going on front, and I'm not planning on cutting that one at all.
just bought a cut tire off a friend.
Can't be fuct spending my evenings cutting tires.
I think it's all between the ears, at least on amateur level.
Have a look at Intense Edge tires, it's basically a mod'ed C24.

As to hardpack: I ride my C15 (2.5 Front reverse) and C24 (Rear Reverse) in all but the heaviest mud. They never let me down. Didn't fail on me in australian dust, french hardpack, german wet roots and rocks.

There was a time when i was very picky on my tires and would ditch 'em at the first hint of knobs ripping. Now i can't be fuct and ride them untill they're too cooked to make a proper turn. Michelins have a certain moment in their life when they become a bit sketchy: when the outermost knobs start tearing out, away from the center of the tire. At that point they are a little understeered. I used to toss 'em out then. Now I keep riding them and after a few runs, they're again equally great.

I like maxxis High Roller ST 2.4 Front and Rear too, but michelins have sharper steering.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
So many companies are making good tires now. Maxxis, Michy, Kenda. I find it hard to believe that it makes sense to buy a perfectly good tire and cut it all up. Maybe some of you guys are just bored. Understandable. I also understand that some of you ride specific tires based on sponsorship. However, it doesn't rep you sponsor very well if you have to cut all your tires to get a good one.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
buildyourown said:
So many companies are making good tires now. Maxxis, Michy, Kenda. I find it hard to believe that it makes sense to buy a perfectly good tire and cut it all up. Maybe some of you guys are just bored. Understandable. I also understand that some of you ride specific tires based on sponsorship. However, it doesn't rep you sponsor very well if you have to cut all your tires to get a good one.
Every racing sport out there that uses knobby tires, from moto to Rally, also trims them. It is just a part of racing.
All companies do it. Michelin, Maxxis, Intense, etc..... whatever can be done to give their riders an advantage.
Take the 2.5 Comp 16. It is a great tire that sheds most mud well. But this year at Snowshoe, we had shin deep mud to deal with, and normally only a small mud tire will work there, which slows me down. So Michelin cut the middle knobs in half on my 2.5 and it cleared mud all the way down the hill allowing me go faster than if I was running a mud tire.
So yeah, it does rep them well, when they get their bright blue hat on the podium. That is what they are there for. ;)

PS As far as trimming the tires, the very best thing I have found was a tiny pair of Craftsman End Snips. Get the smallest one because if fits inbetween the knobs easier. It requires a little more effort though, because the handle is short. No matter how you do it though, cutting knobs off a tire is a chore.

Aug 11, 2003
bizutch said:
end cutters work better just so you know bro. promise

I agree. Got a set in my tool box, cut both of my comp 24's last year and love it (I say that like I can tell the difference...teehee!!). I just wanted to feel semi-pro for a bit of time.

Simon

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
BadFastard said:
just bought a cut tire off a friend.
Can't be fuct spending my evenings cutting tires.
I think it's all between the ears, at least on amateur level.
Have a look at Intense Edge tires, it's basically a mod'ed C24.

As to hardpack: I ride my C15 (2.5 Front reverse) and C24 (Rear Reverse) in all but the heaviest mud. They never let me down. Didn't fail on me in australian dust, french hardpack, german wet roots and rocks.

There was a time when i was very picky on my tires and would ditch 'em at the first hint of knobs ripping. Now i can't be fuct and ride them untill they're too cooked to make a proper turn. Michelins have a certain moment in their life when they become a bit sketchy: when the outermost knobs start tearing out, away from the center of the tire. At that point they are a little understeered. I used to toss 'em out then. Now I keep riding them and after a few runs, they're again equally great.
Update: I now used the cut tire for about 5 days on rocks, mud an wet roots. Maybe the modification is not intended for this use but I don't feel any difference.
Yes I'm just an amateur, so prolly not good enough to feel the difference -although i do feel a lot of difference when switching to a High roller, or to a new rubber.Or the whole thing is just a good april fools.

In any case you won't find me spending time cutting tires. Stock works for me. I'd rather spend the same time riding. Makes me a better rider than cut tires.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Fury said:
I've been looking at those, I just happen to have a pair of diagonal cutters so I haven't bothered getting the end cutters.

Hey Fury, that cut you made on the comp 16 is the best one I have ever done. You can actually run that tire like that instead of a mud tire when its really nasty.
The best thing I have found is a small pair of Craftsman end snips. They can fit right up against the tire and work well. The only downside is that the handles are short.
Oh yeah, and cutting tires is right up there with taking cough syrup on the list of things I hate to do.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
erikkellison said:
Oh yeah, the benefits. This will allow the tire to work better in looser/muddier conditions without affecting rolling resistance much (like I care about that :)). As it is stock, it is pretty much a hardpack-only tire. Now I can roll it on the loamy dirt that I ride along with the slick rocks and roots.

I know this an old thread but I have a few questions before I cut up a good tire.

How does the tire perform in dry and hard pack conditions after the cut? Would a Comp 32 front and cut 24.1 rear be a good combo for mostly dry, tacky conditions with some wet areas? I am trying to sort out my bike for my trip to Whistler next week and will have a couple of extra tires with me in case condtions change a lot or I damage a tire.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
man at the old shop i used to work at we had a razorblade clamped in a pair of vice grips and a torch we heated it up with til it was red hot, man that thing cut through anything...and it was so much fun :devil:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I would not cut a 24.1 for Whistler. I cut my rear tire so it would perform better in loose, loamy conditions. For whistler, I'd prefer the extra rubber for traction on smooth surfaces, which is what most of Whistler is made up of (bridges, hardpack and rock). I don't think the cut would benefit you that much on the bumpy trails such as Original Sin and No Joke.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Last year i did somewhat of the same cut, but instead of taking the knob off all the way i angled it down. It seemed to roll a bit faster than taking it all the way off, still have more open space to grip loamy stuff, and brake better when leaned over in corners.