Quantcast

Cutting Bars?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I just put my old DH bars on my Trail bike. (I have some Diablos 31.8s coming this weekend with a friend :drool:)

They are a bit wide, is there any reason I couldn't hack saw off 3/4" from each side?

I dont see a reason why, its just a steel tube, but I'm just checking with people who are not totally ignant when it comes to bike stuff.... Like me

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Yeah, It is completly okay to cut your bars. A bunch of my friends have done it with no problems. Go for it, just remember: "meassure twice, cut once":D

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
sure, as long as you have enough room to clamp your brakes and stuff before the bend in the bar...
ive cut down many a bar...
might want to get make some sort of guide, or buy a guide, so you get a straight cut on them bars. then just take a file to the outside and inside edges and you should be golden

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by The Kadvang
Yeah, It is completly okay to cut your bars. A bunch of my friends have done it with no problems. Go for it, just remember: "meassure twice, cut once":D
My motto is, Measure, cut, and if your off, you ment it to be a little shorter :D

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by Dirty

might want to get make some sort of guide, or buy a guide, so you get a straight cut on them bars. then just take a file to the outside and inside edges and you should be golden

Well, I could go up to my LBS, and steal the guide they have for steertubes, or just go to the scene shop and steal a portaband :)

EDIT: and by steal, I mean use and put back

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
Originally posted by BigMike
Well, I could go up to my LBS, and steal the guide they have for steertubes, or just go to the scene shop and steal a portaband :)

EDIT: and by steal, I mean use and put back
perfect...thats exactly what i was refering to...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i can't cut my bars anymore 'cause the brake levers can't move inward due to the bulge (PX Goliaths). sniffle sniffle.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Originally posted by the Inbred
i can't cut my bars anymore 'cause the brake levers can't move inward due to the bulge (PX Goliaths). sniffle sniffle.
pffft, who needs those brakes anyway?

Cut the suckers down, pipe cutter is the best way.

The Ito

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I think the hacksaw and guide is probably a better route than pipecutters. I say this because from my plumbing experience pipecutters tend to bend the pipe a little bit from the way in which they cut. This could pose a problem especially for lockon grip users as the outside clamp may not be able to clamp onto the end of the bar. Just my $0.02

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
used correctly they should not bend metal that thick. You talking about that flismy crap that goes under the sink? I've cut a few alum steer tubes without mis-shaping the pipe.

Take your time, small incremental adjustments.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Zaskar Rider
I think the hacksaw and guide is probably a better route than pipecutters. I say this because from my plumbing experience pipecutters tend to bend the pipe a little bit from the way in which they cut. This could pose a problem especially for lockon grip users as the outside clamp may not be able to clamp onto the end of the bar. Just my $0.02
Yes, sometimes them metal will flair out, if you go in small increments its not as bad and can be cleaned up with a file. A pipe cutter leaves the cut much cleaner and it will be perfectly straight.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hacksaws and pipecutters both work, but either way be patient and careful. I always tighten the pipecutters a little too much and end up flaring the metal, so I stick to my hacksaws...

The cut does not need to be perfectly straight anyway - you should have either grips or bar caps that go over the end of your handlebars and either way, if you're a couple mm slanted on your cut it will make no difference.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by binary visions

The cut does not need to be perfectly straight anyway - you should have either grips or bar caps that go over the end of your handlebars and either way, if you're a couple mm slanted on your cut it will make no difference.
It justs looks like sh*t though.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by the Inbred
will a pipecutter get through PX Goliaths?
Pipecutter will cut anything, no matter how thick, it just takes sixty-four thousand twists to get through thick metal.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
takes 64 seconds to cut 'em with a saw. so there it is, a saw is a better choice for all applications. i guaranty it.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
yeah, I guess when our cutters were new they wouldn't flare the pipe so much. Just when you cut that much metal with them they get dull fast.

JAB

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
Almost there...
Originally posted by binary visions
Pipecutter will cut anything, no matter how thick, it just takes sixty-four thousand twists to get through thick metal.
If this is true Wolverine is in big trouble. And to think that Magneto overlooked this rather obvious solution...:rolleyes: