Quantcast

Cutting Carbon Bars??

lextek

Chimp
Apr 10, 2004
CT
Is it OK to cut down Carbon handlebars, Easton Monkey Lite XCs? If so, what is the best method??

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
It is OK.
Wrap the ends in electrical tape and cut through it. I have been told that this is a good way form keeping the edges from splintering. Don't knoe if it is true, but its easy enough that I don't worry about it.

Also, CUT SLOW! This one I know. Some people I know use worn out hacksaw blades. I just use very lite pressure. Pushing down too hard will lead to you ripping out fibers instead of cutting through them. Its not a race.

NoVA-b

Chimp
Apr 16, 2004
Fairfax, BA
as the other guy said wrap the area that you are going to cut with masking tape, use a hack saw blade with as many teeth as you can find (a 32 tooth works well, do not use a 24t), and when done seal the fresh cut with superglue to prevent it from unraveling when you put in end plugs.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Easton's websit has info on cutting their bars and confirms what the guys above have said. You just can't put bar ends on them after trimming the ends. But bar ends are silly anyway.

lextek

Chimp
Apr 10, 2004
CT
Does anybody use bar ends? I had them on my Merlin a few years back. It looks like they have faleen out of fashion.

Mecannoman

Chimp
Mar 16, 2003
hovering
Sure, bar ends are fine. Just don't use them on riser bars - that just looks silly. ;)

By the by, while cutting carbon stuff, don't inhale the dust. We've been warned that the dust is worse than solvents. :monkey:

lextek

Chimp
Apr 10, 2004
CT
Trimmed the bars down the other night. Taped the ends, new 32t hacksaw blade and slow cutting. Perfect, no problems. Now I don't feel like I'm riding a chopper.