blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
So I'm thinking of a build for my Salsa Caballero
that I'll be getting in a month or so :drool:

I can't decide between the Raceface Deus XC:

Or the Shimano XT:

Right now I'm leaning towards the Deus, mainly cause they're sexy, Canadian, light, and don't say Shimano on them. However, I'm not sure on the stiffness...The XTs weigh about the same, not as sexy, they're Shimano (I'm a shishi hater), but I know they're stiffer than a guy on his wedding night cause I've ridden them. Anyone ridden both and can compare the differences?

And, to further my egocentric cause, I'll post what I'm thinking of as my current build...

-Salsa Caballero frame
-Manitou Skareb Platinum 100mm
-Sram X.9 trig shifters, derailleur
-Mavic 819s laced to XTRs or something in the similar price range, or if I find a pile of money, some Crossmax SLs
-Avid mechs

And everything else just happens...Anyone have suggestions?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
xbluethunderx said:
Thats what I'm trying for...

Although Dura-Ace chains make me jizzle in my pizzles.
Psh! Get a Sram PC-99 Hollowpin. Hella better than Dura-Ace.

Hey, don't you have school tomorrow? Go to bed!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It's true, I do. I probably should...but I'm talking to my best friends little sister on MSN and and...mmmm....yummy.... :drool:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
IMO, stiffness is paramount in cranks. Stiffer = better.

Ahh, the irony of typing "I hate Shimano" on a Microsoft-laden computer...

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Some peeps on this board have had problems with the RF system lately. Hopefully they will chime in.

Something about the cranks buggering fairly quickly.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
binary visions said:
IMO, stiffness is paramount in cranks. Stiffer = better.

Ahh, the irony of typing "I hate Shimano" on a Microsoft-laden computer...
Knoppix and, depending on the day, Red Hat or Mandrake :thumb:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
No no, thats when Microsoft, Disney, McDonalds AND Shimano will merge

:thumb:

*Fifth horseman of the apocalypse tramples golgi*

J

JRB

Get the RF. I am not a shimano hater by any means, but the RF cranks are nice. If you hate shimano, why spec XTR hubs??? Wouldn't hopes or 240s be a better option??? Hope XCs are really nice. Are you getting an SPV rear shock??? You should. When I was riding my Salsa, the swinger 3 way made a huge improvement. I would personally get some RF turbines or something without the new bearings. Peeps here seem to have hell with bearings. That said, I buy a new ISIS BB once a year.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ooohhh tell me of your Salsa. I'm getting the frame spec'd with the 5th Element. XTR hubs are cheap, light, and fairly reliable. Hopes are heavy, and everything else is rather expensive.

The problems with these seem to be from installation from guys who don't know what tehy're doing. I think I know a guy who can put them in easily (I work at a shop) but I'd be scared if I myself did it.

J

JRB

xbluethunderx said:
Ooohhh tell me of your Salsa. I'm getting the frame spec'd with the 5th Element. XTR hubs are cheap, light, and fairly reliable. Hopes are heavy, and everything else is rather expensive.

The problems with these seem to be from installation from guys who don't know what tehy're doing. I think I know a guy who can put them in easily (I work at a shop) but I'd be scared if I myself did it.

I liked it, but the top tube was too short. I climbed everything on it, but felt crunched up going down. It was nice and light. If the 5th doesn't explode, you will like it. Run 3/8ths inch of sag and never more than 100 lbs SPV air and you will like it. The hope XCs are too heavy. You can get the bulbs even, for less than XTRs from Jenson and they engage better. I have exploded XTR freehubs. I have not Hopes. Hopes are one of the most under rated hubs in my opinion. You can get some Hope XCs for like $170 or so and buy a Ti freehub body for $80 later to save weight if you like. They are great solid hubs that are super easy to maintain even with the steel FH body. When you getting the bike???

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm getting the frame when I sell my old one, which should be in about 3 weeks. Not sure about when I'm getting the full build...I'm thinking of a progressive build through the winter. My call center job is no good for the expensive bikeys ;)

J

JRB

xbluethunderx said:
I'm getting the frame when I sell my old one, which should be in about 3 weeks. Not sure about when I'm getting the full build...I'm thinking of a progressive build through the winter. My call center job is no good for the expensive bikeys ;)

My call center job was like that too. Now this job isn't and I have acquired quite the cc debt. :( I have nice bikes though.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Meh, I'm quitting there when my internship at the bike shop is done. I'm only there cause they're flexible with the scheduling.

Anyways, I think I can get the XTRs to 819s built up for between 300-350...Not sure about Hopes or Hugis, all I know si they're expensive...

J

JRB

I would bet you can get the Hope XCs on those rims with DT 14/15 for $350. I promise the hubs are nicer than the XTRs and you don't have to have center lock rotors or an adapter.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Center lock rotors are one thing from Shimano I like...The fact that they make it proprietary I don't. I'll have to check on what I can get the Hopes for.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Go with the XT's, big brother is watching and he made some sweet cranks while he was at it.

And Dura Ace hollow pin chains kick ass!

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
loco-gringo said:

OK, it was a bad joke. In the DH forum, we shorten is name WestCoastHucker to WCH.
So naturally when MMcG typed WTF? I thought I'd try to be funny. :mumble:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I've had a ton of problems with my RF chainrings and Dura Ace chain. I've broken 3 chains this summer and had a ton of shifting problems.

I just switched to a SRAM chain and had no more problems. Shiftin is like a butta!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
WestCoastHucker said:
not only that, there is always a family resemblance, and i guess if you feel comfortable kissing somone who looks like your best friend, you need help...
What if his best friend is a female and hot?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
WestCoastHucker said:
anyone who tries to get their best friends little sister into bed has crossed the line in my book.....

and deserves to be beaten.

not only that, there is always a family resemblance, and i guess if you feel comfortable kissing somone who looks like your best friend, you need help...
Let's see.....

Roomate's sister,.... check.

Sister's best friend,.... check.

Best Friend's sister,.... nope, guess I'm okay.

J

JRB

peter6061 said:
Let's see.....

Roomate's sister,.... check.

Sister's best friend,.... check.

Best Friend's sister,.... nope, guess I'm okay.

Your best friend doesn't have a sister does he???

J

JRB

WestCoastHucker said:
actually he does...... she is cute, but i still wouldn't hit it.

just one of those things. i suppose it's because i have a little sis, and if any of my friends tried to hit it, they would never be seen or heard from again....

I was toying with Peter. I figured with the rest of the record, he just hadn't had a chance for the best friend sister.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Best friend is a girl, and is hot, but that would be odd...

So I just settle for the next best thing! ;)

Actually we seem to get along much better than the friend...its kind of weird. We're under a year apart....*Continues trying to justify doing the little sister*

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
trying to pick up anyone over im, best friend's sister's cousin's uncle or not, is lame

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Jesus said:
Some peeps on this board have had problems with the RF system lately. Hopefully they will chime in.

Something about the cranks buggering fairly quickly.
A friend of mine has the DH version nad has has a hell of a time keeping them tight. Sorry for the hearsay repert, but I am also a "Shishi" disliker.
What about FSA, Truvative, or a regular ISIS set? Maybe save a few bucks and get proven technology?
What kind of cranks are you coming off of now? If money is of concern, I would get regular ISIS cranks, and use the money I saved to get hyrdo brakes. The Avid's do work well (I've owned them ans several Hayes setups) but you can't beat hydro's for long-term durability.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm coming off of Specialized Strongarm II's (03 XT equivalents). I like the external BB on the RF along with the weight savings it gives me. ISIS is going to be going away, is it not? I'd consider the FSA Carbon cranks though...What kind of hydraulic disc brakes are you thinking? I'm steering away mostly because of the weight...