Quantcast

cyclocross/ road bike?

elRey

Turbo Monkey
ok, I want to start racing and riding more road. but I am also interested in cyclocross because I live in portland and everyone here is huge on cyclocross. I am wondering if I buy a road bike is it possible to race road on it and also use it for cyclocross(probably some races)?
or vice versa(if i buy a cross bike would I be able to race some road on it as well as cyclocross?)

i know i sound like a huge n00b :( :blah: :rolleyes:
 

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
427
0
Cle Elum
I dont cross or road race but IMO I would go for the cross bike. You could do pretty much anything with it and the road bike would be a little more difficult without buying an extra set of heavy wheels and tire. With the cross I would start with the cross set up and maybe add an extra set of light rims and tires for road. There have been a couple cyclocross posters here so maybe they can add something.
 

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
10,130
673
Bend, Oregon
I'd say no on the road bike. You will want beefier tires and frame. You CAN however, probably get by in a road race on a cyclocross bike.
 

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Yeah, go cross (and, yes, the Cross Check is sweet). For cross-racing, you're going to use wider tires than a racing road bike would accomodate. Besides, if you show up at a road race on a cross bike then it would be a total mindf**k to the straight-up roadies. Some may scoff at you, but screw them - it's their problem, not yours. The rest would be totally intimidated, knowing that you race cross as well.:sneaky:

p.s. - cross bikes have a higher bb clearance as well. That will help in both. For cross, it obviously gives you more room to roll the roots, etc. On the road, you can actually pedal thru corners a little better.
 

lucky13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
66
0
Seattle, WA
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Yeah, go cross (and, yes, the Cross Check is sweet). For cross-racing, you're going to use wider tires than a racing road bike would accomodate. Besides, if you show up at a road race on a cross bike then it would be a total mindf**k to the straight-up roadies. Some may scoff at you, but screw them - it's their problem, not yours. The rest would be totally intimidated, knowing that you race cross as well.:sneaky:

p.s. - cross bikes have a higher bb clearance as well. That will help in both. For cross, it obviously gives you more room to roll the roots, etc. On the road, you can actually pedal thru corners a little better.
All true, but the drawback of a CX rig is it's headtube angle, it'll feel like a steering a truck vs a sportscar in a road race. But, you could get used to it. Some hot complete CX bikes are made by Felt, Bianchi, Lemond, Trek and of course Redline. I'd go with one of the first two personally. (I'm kinda in the same boat, though I've got lots of other things to spend money on at the moment)
 

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
446
0
crackhouse down the street
lucky13 said:
All true, but the drawback of a CX rig is it's headtube angle, it'll feel like a steering a truck vs a sportscar in a road race. But, you could get used to it. Some hot complete CX bikes are made by Felt, Bianchi, Lemond, Trek and of course Redline. I'd go with one of the first two personally. (I'm kinda in the same boat, though I've got lots of other things to spend money on at the moment)
Agreed. if you need one bike, go with the CX. If you are used to a road bike, then you will notice a difference riding road on a CX bike. I used a CX bike for both and dont have any issues.

K2 makes a nice entry level CX bike, the Enemy, and the suggestions by lucky above are also good choices.
 

elRey

Turbo Monkey
ok,
I think I will go for the cross bike then. One of my friends has a Surly Cross Check and i think it looks like a pretty sweet bike. I think I might try for one of those. thanks for all your comments (keep them coming!) :) :)
 

baric

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
13
0
Why isn't anyone mentioning the Kona Jake or Jake-The-Snake? Just curios because I was looking at those bikes...
 

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
3,524
0
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Is it okay if I do some CX races on my XC bike? The rules say it's cool but I'm more worried about some roadie gettin' all kranky on me :rolleyes:
 

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
427
0
Cle Elum
You never know who is going to get all "cranky". I guess last year a cyclo-cross racer showed up wearing a skirt being the "cross dresser" he was and one of the NW champion racers got all upset. Word got around, would have definitely been funny to have been there.
 
Borregokid said:
You never know who is going to get all "cranky". I guess last year a cyclo-cross racer showed up wearing a skirt being the "cross dresser" he was and one of the NW champion racers got all upset. Word got around, would have definitely been funny to have been there.
I remember at N. Seatac Cross Natz a few years back...some guy jumped in the middle of elite/pro race and rode a lap just in front of the leaders.....completely nude!!! (except for shoes and helmet)

Funniest thing I've ever seen!!!!
 

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I would find it humorous if the others got offended/threatened if you showed up on an XC rig. Sure, you'd have a slight advantage in some of the trail sections, but they'd smoke you hard on the road portions of the courses. That is unless they can't ride a bike too well.:think:
 

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
3,524
0
GO! SEAHAWKS!
DBR X6 RIDER said:
I would find it humorous if the others got offended/threatened if you showed up on an XC rig. Sure, you'd have a slight advantage in some of the trail sections, but they'd smoke you hard on the road portions of the courses. That is unless they can't ride a bike too well.:think:
I'm mainly doing the races to get back in shape after my injury, not to set any records :)
 

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Snacks said:
I'm mainly doing the races to get back in shape after my injury, not to set any records :)
Even more of a reason that I'd die laughing if somebody got uptight about your prescence.
You'll also get a bird's-eye-view of the racing as an added bonus. Races can sometimes be boring to watch if the course is spread out and tucked in the woods.
 
Feb 25, 2005
274
0
seattle, wa
Snacks said:
Is it okay if I do some CX races on my XC bike? The rules say it's cool but I'm more worried about some roadie gettin' all kranky on me :rolleyes:
Roadies are a cranky lot anyway. Ever try to wave hello when you meet one on the road? :eviltongu
 

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
192
0
Bellingham, WA
Snacks said:
Is it okay if I do some CX races on my XC bike? The rules say it's cool but I'm more worried about some roadie gettin' all kranky on me :rolleyes:

YOu can use an XC bike as long as your remove any forward pointing bar ends.
 

lucky13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
66
0
Seattle, WA
PsychO!1 said:
I remember at N. Seatac Cross Natz a few years back...some guy jumped in the middle of elite/pro race and rode a lap just in front of the leaders.....completely nude!!! (except for shoes and helmet)

Funniest thing I've ever seen!!!!
I remember that! We (Controltech crowd) were making "cracks" at how much sand and mud he'd be scrubbing out of his,...

There was a throwdown on one of the portage climbs between a crosser and a mtbcrosser too.

Be polite, it's their sport and in general they're happy to have ya along. No mud wrestling.