Quantcast

Cyclocross ~ What's the point?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I don't understand how this could be any fun but a ton of people here race Cyclocross.
I'm trying not to knock it cause I've never done it but i just can't see how it can be any fun when the only jumps are the little skips you do over the fences. Am I missing something here? :think:

My little brother got it in his head that he wants try it and wants me to do it with him. I want him to get into biking cause he needs to get out more and meet new people.

Obviously I can't tell him what to like and what not to like and he's a bit more timid then I am, so I'm gonna make an effort to help get him going.

Any suggestions on how to make it fun?
Can you bunny hop the fences or are they too high? etc.....

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Ya dont have to make it fun...It already is. Its just different, and your in the woods on a bike so it cant be bad. SERIOUS speed.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
We are going to race our hard tail bikes.

Do CX bikes hold a big advantage or is it course dependent?

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
CX is addictive - I bought a bike a few years ago to use as an excuse to ride later into the year, figured I'd do a race at the beginning of the season, and ended up only missing about 2 races the whole year - and taking the state championships (okay - I raced Cat 4, so what?) It is THE most painful, and beautiful thing I have done, you have to experience it firsthand to truly appreciate it.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
DVNT said:
We are going to race our hard tail bikes.

Do CX bikes hold a big advantage or is it course dependent?
CX bikes help - but are not necessary. You can learn to hop (as in bunny hop) barriers with drop bars, but it can be sketchy at times - CX bikes are much quicker on roads and dry courses.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I did a few races this year on my full suspension xc bike and felt I had a disadvantage because everytime I remounted my suspension would suck up my momentum. Plus, I had waaay bigger tires than all those on cx bikes and my speed would get sucked away in the grassy sections.

It's totally addictive, a great way to get a killer workout in less than an hour.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I'll give it a shot if he wants to do it still.

I just got off the phone with him and he's still undecided. It's only the first race of the season.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
DVNT said:
I'll give it a shot if he wants to do it still.

I just got off the phone with him and he's still undecided. It's only the first race of the season.
Go for it, trying new things can be fun!

Hey Aaron, wanna try riding your bike? :devil:

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Try it. It's something totally different. Not sure if you have a CX bike to race with, but all I have to say is: It's a lot easier to pull a 2 wheel drift on 35c tires than 2.4s. Tons o' fun to be had. Yeah, it's painful, but in a good kind of way. :thumb:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
DßR said:
the "point" is to train for the road racing season. Or to stroke your masochistic side.
Not just road racing...a gazillion mountain bikers use it to stay in race shape during the winter.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I jsut got a CX bike not to long ago, never planned on racing, just wanted somthing to train on and be able to ride through the winter.... but I am now contimplating racing, just to see what its like.

But on the bike, its awsome to be able to do some road miles, and then turn into the woods :)

I've puked EVERYTIME i've raced CX.....and loved it. I usually puke just after i finish, but I've puked mid race a few times.

very short, very intense racing. If you think it's fun like freeriding, your in for a rude awakening. It's fun, like a good hard hammerfest with your friends.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
i never liked cx myself, i only did a few of them though. i can see why people love it though- i pretty much wanted to puke all over when i did those few cx events.

everything kind of sucks when you reduce it to its most basic description... skateboarding: "ride piece of board with wheels on stuff"... dirt jumping: "go up and down with varying distance outward".... dh: "ride your bike down a hill"...

what sucks are mainstream people who cant appreciate alternative sports cant see beyond that boiled down kind of description of the activity. these are also typically the people who dont see basketball as "put round ball in roung metal ring"

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
The point is to make yourself hurt.....bad.

The only race scene we have here is CX. It is fun & but I like to hurt.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i only wathced last year but this year i plan to race. i dig that kind of pain. i've had a cx bike that i've only ridden on the road. time to take it to the dirt i guess. cx races are also the only races that we have a whole series of here in the city so i dont have to travel to race.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
The CX and XC racers started painting little roots and rocks in thier course on a local trail around here, with flourescent orange paint. Looks like crap. And they leave tape from their races all over the place all the time.
Racings lame. Just ride with racers from time to time and try to keep up with them, then you don't have to waste so much time and money. :dancing:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
WhiteRavenKS said:
i never liked cx myself, i only did a few of them though. i can see why people love it though- i pretty much wanted to puke all over when i did those few cx events.

everything kind of sucks when you reduce it to its most basic description... skateboarding: "ride piece of board with wheels on stuff"... dirt jumping: "go up and down with varying distance outward".... dh: "ride your bike down a hill"...

what sucks are mainstream people who cant appreciate alternative sports cant see beyond that boiled down kind of description of the activity. these are also typically the people who dont see basketball as "put round ball in roung metal ring"
This is pretty funny.... as I punch buttons with fingers, examine symbols on large box emitting light, and repeat....

I guess I could see the appeal for roadies and XC racer boys to keep in shape in their off-seasons, I know all that sprinting is hard.

Anyways, I'm happy to say I skipped the race to do a nice 25+ mile ride up in Tennesee. Maybe I'll check out a race when it gets further along into the winter.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
DVNT said:
This is pretty funny.... as I punch buttons with fingers, examine symbols on large box emitting light, and repeat....

I guess I could see the appeal for roadies and XC racer boys to keep in shape in their off-seasons, I know all that sprinting is hard.

Anyways, I'm happy to say I skipped the race to do a nice 25+ mile ride up in Tennesee. Maybe I'll check out a race when it gets further along into the winter.

I race DH and 4x but this year I am racing cross because I want to try something new and to not get fat during the winter. You mentioned that you ride in Tennessee and there is a great series that started in Johnson City that might be of some interest.

http://www.tcrc1.homestead.com/cyclocross/series_info.html

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Boiled it right down to the essence. Of course, I'm only speaking for myself, here.......

-S.S.-
:think:

Yeah I think I'll just set up my own CX course in middle of a park and have fun skipping over the barriers by myself.