Quantcast

Cyclocross

Jul 1, 2005
I was planning on getting a hardtail mtn. bike but now realize a cyclocross would be a way better choice for me. I primarily ride on the road, and really only need something that can do hardpacked trails and gravel as well so a mtn. bike is not neccessary. What I want is some recommendations on a cyclocross bike such as what shops have ones available for testrides??? The Kona Jake looks like a decent starter as does the Bianchi Volpe I believe. The Redline Conquest sounds nice but more than I want to pay. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am in the Seattle area.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
go out and test ride all of them. each company offers a slightly different geometry and such their bikes are going to handle and feel differently. the jake isn't a bad bike for the cash, and i'm not quite sure how the volpe comes stock so i can not speak on that bike. check out felt as well, they offer a few bikes and their entry level one isnt bad.
as for the actual bike selection in choosing a cx bike for this application, i think you've made a wise decision.

check out www.wrenchscience.com , go there do the "fit kit" on the site. most shops are going to tell you that you want to go 2 sizes down from what you'd normally ride on the road. go see what top tube length you should be riding on a road bike based off this companies measurement system. choose the bike that has a close tt measurement

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
NeedAHardTail said:
I was planning on getting a hardtail mtn. bike but now realize a cyclocross would be a way better choice for me. I primarily ride on the road, and really only need something that can do hardpacked trails and gravel as well so a mtn. bike is not neccessary. What I want is some recommendations on a cyclocross bike such as what shops have ones available for testrides??? The Kona Jake looks like a decent starter as does the Bianchi Volpe I believe. The Redline Conquest sounds nice but more than I want to pay. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am in the Seattle area.
Well, I do not have a cross bike yet. It is in the radar for the next element in the quiver. My choices for production rigs are: The volpe, and Surly Cross-Check. The Volpe appears to be good off the shelf, and available at most Bianchi dealers. The Surly a little harder to find built, and about as hard to find as a virgin whore on the used market. The Surly has more tire clearence, but is heavier. Oh, I am a real big fan of flexibility. I like steel too. I would like my next bike to have the ability to do gears or SS (with no eno or tensioner), racks or no racks, bell and basket or not....you get the idea.

teambender

Chimp
Jan 11, 2004
Casa de Motionboy
NeedAHardTail said:
If you're in Seattle, I'm sure you could find a Redline in a local shop up there.....The frame is pretty stiff tho.