Quantcast

D.O.C. and sovereign owners HELP???

mistaare

Chimp
Dec 22, 2005
whats up guys,

i will hopefully be purchasing a sovereign in the next month or so and am really stumped on what size i should get.

im 6'-6'1", with a 32" inseam. it will be getting used for dj/urban/park/trails all about the same. right now i have a large chameleon with a 50mm stem and it feels perfect (looking for shorter chain stays). right now i am leaning on getting a long and running very short stem.

how tall are you?

what size do you have (reg or long)?

what do you use it for (urban, dj, trails)?

any input would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
I currently have a reg sovereign setup for stree/dj with 24" wheels and a fork with a 455mm a-c. I'm 5'11" but I like the feel of a smaller bike. I would say get a reg. i feel the long would be too big. But either way you can't go wrong it is such an amazing frame enjoy it! Hope this helps

here are a few pictures of mine

PowersUSA

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
Mass
Here is my "Long" Sovereign setup for trail riding. The Stem is 70mm long with a 10deg rise and the bars are 28" wide (bar width plays into the effective cockpit length). I'm just under 6' tall with a 33" inseam and wear 36/37 sleeve length dress shirts. Arm length should be a factored in deciding between the "Regular" and the "Long" since the difference in stand-over height between the two will be small for any given setup.

mistaare

Chimp
Dec 22, 2005
power,

how does the long feel for you? are you the one has posted about breaking your back? i have read what little there is to read about the sovereigns here on the boards. im hoping to find someone who runs a long on dirt or parks.

thanks

PowersUSA

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
Mass
mistaare said:
power,

how does the long feel for you? are you the one has posted about breaking your back? i have read what little there is to read about the sovereigns here on the boards. im hoping to find someone who runs a long on dirt or parks.

thanks
Yup, that's me (broken neck). I don't jump or do other stunts. Just generic East coast trail riding with some small drops thrown in. With the pictured setup I get a neutral and upright riding position that I can ride for hours without neck pain.

Coming from a Chameleon you will notice that the Sovereign wont beat you up has much (based on my experience riding a Specialized Enduro hard tail and a Cannondale CAAD 3 hard tail). I liken it to the difference in playing basketball on concrete (stiff aluminum frame, based on tube geometry not materiel properties) and playing on hardwood (compliant, shock absorbing steel frame). After a few hours of running up and down the court your joints just feel better playing on wood.

Tip: When you get your Sovereign, treat the tubes with Framesaver (a rust inhibitor). http://www.cycledesign.org/framesaver.htm

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i had a DOC. in my opinion, you really need to decide what you'll be riding more and work around that. i had a regular. i'm 6', ~32" inseam and rode with 70mm and 100mmx5* stems. the 70mm stem was perfect for street play, but even with the 100mm stem, and the seat pulled up, i was not too comfortable with it on trails. i mean, i could ride it fine, but it wasn't...i don't know. it just felt too small.

ufdff15...that Nemesis-ized fork looks badass. what was the charge for dropping it and how does it ride?

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
the Inbred said:
i had a DOC. in my opinion, you really need to decide what you'll be riding more and work around that. i had a regular. i'm 6', ~32" inseam and rode with 70mm and 100mmx5* stems. the 70mm stem was perfect for street play, but even with the 100mm stem, and the seat pulled up, i was not too comfortable with it on trails. i mean, i could ride it fine, but it wasn't...i don't know. it just felt too small.

ufdff15...that Nemesis-ized fork looks badass. what was the charge for dropping it and how does it ride?
$450 for the brand z1 sport lowered and tuned direct from Nemesis contact evil4bc@mac.com for info

Cuprinol

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
how tall are you?

what size do you have (reg or long)?
regular

what do you use it for (urban, dj, trails)?
everything, mostly light street stuff and trail

Feels superb for everything. I use a 50mm stem an a pretty wide bar. When the saddle is pushed up to trail height it does go up and backwards enough so that the cockpit feels relaxed and upright but still good and controllable.

This is my current setup:
http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131309

mistaare

Chimp
Dec 22, 2005
thanks for all the input guys. right now i am leaning towards a long and then running a real short stem. this past weekend i rode a friends mountain cycle rumble. i has a 23 inch TT and felt pretty comfy, but i couldnt imagine a smaller TT.

anyone else feel free to chime in:)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
peachy said:
i'm 5'5" ...u guys think i can ride this reg size? 26" wheel.
It wouldn't be ideal, but it could work. For your height I would look at a Pro sized Steelhead because it's a little smaller than the DOC. I'm 5' 10" and use a reg. DOC for DJs and street.

mistaare

Chimp
Dec 22, 2005
just got my sovereign. the geometry is freakin perfect. i got the regular and it feels a little on the small side (im 6'-6'1"). i've still have to play around with different size stems and see what feels best. frame is definitely sweet.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
mistaare said:
just got my sovereign. the geometry is freakin perfect. i got the regular and it feels a little on the small side (im 6'-6'1"). i've still have to play around with different size stems and see what feels best. frame is definitely sweet.
Congrats man, post pics up in the DH forum when you get it built up. So you live in the PGH area? We are doing a bunch of building and gotta get together and ride...

Let me know if you are going to rays again anytime soon...

_Bill