Quantcast

d5.1s tubeless?

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
Nope. My buddy has the Crossmax SL wheelset and they are completely different. I had a closer look as I was truing his wheels after our last ride... he tried to keep up with me on his XC bike. :biggrin:

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I have no experience with DT's strip. It may have changed, Stan has a video of the DT system he was refering to as 'eclipse' and i thought it was just a sealing tape/strip over the spoke holes and he was making it burp by flexing the tire with his hand. No rubber strip for the sealant to adhere to.

I'm guessing that the new enduro type wheelset is 823's laced up to XC type alloy spokes and hubs. This would make sense because they have the rim allready but is only available as Deemax.

The Crossmax SL 06 rim is an 819 with material machined away between the nipples, and the nipples thread into the rim instead of the heavier nipple within a nipple. That's why the look a lot different.

The 06 crossmax XL is the 819 rim with their nipple.

It would be cool if they added another UST rim but if there was an even wider rim then it would go onto the Deemax wouldn't it?

The Mavic rep told me the Crossmax rim is getting a complete makeover, most likely an ultra light XC race rim.Probably 17mm wide.

I could only imagine those top pros are going through rims like crazy but they're not losing races due to them blowing up! Not that Kovarik could get away with them though...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
like i said, the big question is whether their rims last one run, a race week end or half a season at least?
Go look at the 'Rennie shoe' thread. There are two pics of Hill @ the worlds, one practice, and one durring the race. He is runnig different wheels. Looks like 2350's for practice and then some 5.1 set up for racing. Saving the 5.1's for the race run makes me think that they are not lasting that long for DH application.

Unfortunately, a mfg is not going to let out (negative) info about the durability of a product even if it is being used out of its intended application.

edit: Closer look at the pics shows Sam is running 5.1's on both wheel sets, just different sets from practice to race. Go up the page a little and look at the pic that Orfen just posted. Right where it is circled, at the DT logo, there is a big ol' dent.

I have no doubt that the 5.1 is a great rim, infact i am going to pick some up for my 'non-DH' mtb. Just not so sure it is up to true DH riding, unless you have a surplus supply of them.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
I could only imagine those top pros are going through rims like crazy but they're not losing races due to them blowing up! Not that Kovarik could get away with them though...
that sucks, how important would you say is runing a rim strip in the 823 for tubeless? coz its heavy as it is.